Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VAR sytem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 72>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

So Napoli score, Hamsik is booked for over celebrating, VAR then is used to disallow the goal but the booking still stands!!

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 4:12pm
On the plus side, it's his first booking of the season, and you have to have five before you get a suspension. That's unlikely for him with only 13 games left this season.

Plus, they won.
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 4:29pm
Do they use VAR in the Bundesliga?
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

I'm massively against this. 

Another step in the corporate sanitisation of football and it will end up massively disrupting every game it's used in.

Good. Anything that helps to reach the right decision from an incident, is fine by me.

If we had it that night in Paris, we could still have qualified for the World Cup. How long was the game disrupted because the wrong decision was made? Several minutes at least iirc. At least when it happens again, we can take all that time up getting the correct decision. Better late than never.

As regards the Napoli incident, yellow cards are never rescinded. I haven't seen it but I assume it was the "celebration" that has been an automatic yellow card offence since 2003. Every player knows what will happen if they do it. The fact the goal was ruled out is no defence for him. He knows what the rules are.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 11:37pm
And if the linesman had to do his job correctly he would never have been celebrating a goal to begin with.

I'm not sure what celebration has been an automatic offence since 2003 but I doubt it was performing a sliding tackle on the corner flag which is what Hamsik done!

What if it had to have been a second yellow?

Edited by Shoco - 18 Feb 2018 at 11:39pm

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 2:10pm
Why are they making such a bollix of this? I am in favour of it but they really are doing everythigng arseways. Firstly it needs to be played on the big screen in the stadiums.  Why are they not informing the crowd whats going on?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 4:29pm
A lot of stadiums don't have big screens, especially those that are soccer only. They'll have to change that before they start using VAR everywhere.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 12:46pm
They are going to have to spend serious money to Implement VAR.
It needs 3D technology and be 99% accurate.

At the Spurs v Swansea match they had the crappy lines again. It still wasn’t clear if Son was offside.

planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 7:32pm
Apparantly, it was the correct call. Job done.

Spurs scored an offside goal at Swansea in the league. With no VAR around, nothing could be done. Today it was, so only 100% valid goals could stand.

This works. People like to knock it, but every decision it's had to make has been correct. That's what it's there for, and that is why the WC will be won by fair play and not refereeing errors.
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 8:35pm
VAR is sh*te, just interrupts the natural flow of a game. If you want tmo’s and video replays and gutless non decision making then watch f**kin rugby. The only working review system that takes hardly any time is Hawkeye in the gaa, but waiting about for a call doesn’t suit football. Without controversial calls it wouldn’t be the same anyway. Having said all that, if they restrict this nonsense to the epl fake football and the pretend patriotism of international football, which died after the 88 euros, then fair enough.

Edited by oldbilly - 17 Mar 2018 at 8:36pm
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 1:01am
June 18 1988

Holland 1-0 Ireland
Cheat
(81)

Ireland out of the Euros.

November 18, 2009

France 1-1 Ireland
Cheat
(103)

Ireland out of the WC.

2018: No more cheating allowed.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 6:16pm
The Premier league clubs have voted not to use VAR next season in the league.
It will still be used for the league and FA cup.

I think that's the right decision. It needs more investment and proper testing before rolling it out.

It will be interesting to see how it goes at the world cup. You'd hope FIFA are using the best technology available.

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 6:35pm
I don't think there's anything wrong with the technology being used, more so the process and the individuals left to run it.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 7:25pm
The clubs should have no vote imo on it. This is a tool for referees, so that the right decision is given. So it should be their call as to whether it is used or not. 

FIFA say VAR has a 98.9% rate for getting the right decision, and therefore it is now approved by the IFAB. So it works, and the other major leagues are prepared to go with it for next season. The EPL have decided that they want a safe haven for cheats, divers, and refereeing errors to thrive, when they finally got the chance to stamp it out for good.
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

The clubs should have no vote imo on it. This is a tool for referees, so that the right decision is given. So it should be their call as to whether it is used or not. 

FIFA say VAR has a 98.9% rate for getting the right decision, and therefore it is now approved by the IFAB. So it works, and the other major leagues are prepared to go with it for next season. The EPL have decided that they want a safe haven for cheats, divers, and refereeing errors to thrive, when they finally got the chance to stamp it out for good.

What? Of course they should have a say, they're the ones involved in the matches, the ones providing the entertainment, the ones who it effects the most. An utterly bizarre and ludicrous thing to say. 
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 8:29pm
The referees are the people who have the power to allow or disallow major incidents. Some of them turn games, decide cup finals, get teams promoted or relegated, and contribute to resignations and sackings. So they have to get decisions right, and the authorities have the responsibility to give them every opportunity to get them right. 

Instead, diving will still win penalties and get players sent off, handballs will go unpunished, teams will get goals they shouldn't and vice versa, and referees will still be held responsible for why teams don't get the results they want. So it should be up to referees when VAR is implemented. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

I don't think there's anything wrong with the technology being used, more so the process and the individuals left to run it.

What I’ve seen on TV looks crap.

If you watch the 100m final they can tell you exactly who crossed the line 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc and it’s all very clear in 3D.
What I’ve seen on TV with the football is funny lines across a pitch that are unclear and from one angle only.
I’ve seen offside decisions being made and people are still unclear afterwards.

With the rugby you can see the replay from different angles.

Maybe all this is available but they don’t show it on TV.

ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 9:35am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Thought this particular post would be worth a bump after hearing about this farce in Germany last night: LOL

As you say, nothing wrong with the technology being used - the problem atm is how it's being used.  The world cup could be some craic at this rate. LOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 72>
  Share Topic