You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VAR sytem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 72>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 12:54am
NFL style challenges are the way forward. Banks of monitors by the sideline for the coaches to look at, 60 seconds to challenge any decision you want (if you're out of time, tough), if you lose a challenge, you lose a sub, if you've no subs left, tough luck; if you're right, you keep the challenge/sub. You could maybe get one extra challenge a match, in that the first wrong one doesn't cost you a sub.

It would make managers more careful about complaining about bad decisions; however, it would require some very quick tv crews to get replays on the monitors so they could make decisions quickly, inside the 60 seconds required. A buzzer goes off in the ref's ear if a challenge is made and the review takes place at the next stoppage in play.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 20 Jun 2019 at 12:56am
Sponsored Links

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 1:03am
That would be a far preferable situation to the route football is going down now. The length of time it is taking in games to sort out some simple calls is a sight to behold. 

Either way, the VAR system needs to be massively refined. The laws of the game (handball , offside) need to be tidied up. You could have yourself a box office comedy hit based on the Women's World Cup handball decisions, if you put them all together.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 2:31am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

NFL style challenges are the way forward. Banks of monitors by the sideline for the coaches to look at, 60 seconds to challenge any decision you want (if you're out of time, tough), if you lose a challenge, you lose a sub, if you've no subs left, tough luck; if you're right, you keep the challenge/sub. You could maybe get one extra challenge a match, in that the first wrong one doesn't cost you a sub.

It would make managers more careful about complaining about bad decisions; however, it would require some very quick tv crews to get replays on the monitors so they could make decisions quickly, inside the 60 seconds required. A buzzer goes off in the ref's ear if a challenge is made and the review takes place at the next stoppage in play.

Defeats the whole purpose. This is a refereeing tool, not for teams to influence and exploit as and when it suits them. They have more than enough opportunities to do so in a game as it is. 

The VAR must completely independent. The aim of it is to get correct decisions. If it takes less than 60 seconds, great. If it takes 6 minutes, fine. The amount of time it takes is not important, it's the accuracy of the decision that is important, and it takes as long as it takes. 

Goalkeepers are told that they must stay on their line until kicks are taken. It's been that way since Day 1. If they go walkies, I'm sure they are aware of the possible consequences. Now VAR is here, the rules of our sport are finally being enforced, and justice is being done. Handballs are punished. Dives are punished. Shirt pulls are punished. Walking keepers are punished.  Offsides are spotted. All goals and major decisions are provisional until cleared by VAR. That's the way it will be and should be, from now on, so that teams don't get luck, and other teams are not robbed by incompetence.

Correct decisions are great for football. Incorrect decisions wreck the game. 
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 3:19am
You speak about VAR as if it's a perfect system. Your comments are farcical to say the least. I am in essence in total favour of VAR. The way it is being implemented is ruining the game though. No simple decision should take 3/4 minutes or longer. The Colombia penalty call being reversed tonight is a perfect example of this. It should have taken 15 seconds max to sort out and reverse the decision.

One of the more complex decisions that should have taken 2/3 minutes to sort out was rushed in the CL final and the incorrect decision was given against Sissoko. In the biggest club game in the world. You are right, incorrect decisions ruin games. Massive games like the CL final. Or a WC QF where Brazil were denied a clear penalty late on to equaliser. Or a WC 2nd round match where Spain were denied 2 blatant penalties iirc against Russia late on. I could go on, but surely you get the point?

VAR has massive problems in it's implementation. In saying that the system itself is being badly hindered by some farcical laws and awfully substandard officials both on the pitch and in the VAR box.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 20 Jun 2019 at 3:22am
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 4:39am
VAR is 99.3% accurate, so whatever a VAR decides, I trust that there are  solid grounds for the decision to be given. It may not be perfect, but it's as close to perfect as we can get. 

The penalty decision in the European Cup Final was correct, and it's already been explained why in great detail. Nor did it ruin the game. Liverpool went in front then did a solid, professional job, which Spurs had no answer to.  

The Brazil penalty incident you mention was a goal kick, as the ball had gone out of play. Correct decision. The Spain incident was offside. Correct decision. 

A game of football lasts the best part of 2 hours. So we have the time to take a couple of minutes, a few if necessary, to get a major decision right. There's no time limit. Before then, cheats could get away with stuff, at most they would later get a token ban which some of them would even welcome, and did nothing to deter them the next time. Now they get punished on the spot, as they should. 

What at first looks a simple decision to us with all our slow no and super slow mo replays available, often looks very different pitchside. Thankfully, the ref can make a major decision fully informed of all the facts, instead of guesswork as was the case before. 
Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 5:59am
If argentina wants to avoid the hard draw of the play offs they are achieving it .....

Edited by Gerry Geary - 20 Jun 2019 at 5:59am
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 6:42am

Scotland had a penalty awarded against them by VAR, and it was a penalty.

Before the penalty was taken, the keeper was warned to stay on her line.

The keeper saved it.

The ref used VAR again and it was obvious the keeper had come forward before the penalty was struck.

The ref ordered a retake.

Argentina scored to make it 3-3.

They can have no complaints, frankly. The keeper was expressly warned to stay on her line; she didn't; the penalty was the right decision; the retake was the right decision; the goal was fair.

The biggest issue was that it all took a heap of time, and there was feck all added time thereafter.

She had barely come off her line to be fair. While I agree she was pre warned the rule itself is ridiculous & we’ll see far less penalties saved because of it. 

You’ve also the time frame issue. Tackle for first pen took place in the 85th minute, was 89 by the time it was taken.... ordered to be retaken in the 92nd and taken and scored in 94th minute. 
In the middle of all this nonsense the assistant ref shows for a minimum of 4 mins to be added and the ref blows up in the 95th despite pretty much no football being played for 10 minutes. 

You’d be looking at 3 maybe 4 minutes of stoppages before all this so Should’ve been at least 8 or 9 minutes added on 

Edited by 9fingers - 20 Jun 2019 at 7:05am
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 7:37am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

VAR is 99.3% accurate, so whatever a VAR decides, I trust that there are  solid grounds for the decision to be given. It may not be perfect, but it's as close to perfect as we can get. 

The penalty decision in the European Cup Final was correct, and it's already been explained why in great detail. Nor did it ruin the game. Liverpool went in front then did a solid, professional job, which Spurs had no answer to.  

The Brazil penalty incident you mention was a goal kick, as the ball had gone out of play. Correct decision. The Spain incident was offside. Correct decision. 

A game of football lasts the best part of 2 hours. So we have the time to take a couple of minutes, a few if necessary, to get a major decision right. There's no time limit. Before then, cheats could get away with stuff, at most they would later get a token ban which some of them would even welcome, and did nothing to deter them the next time. Now they get punished on the spot, as they should. 

What at first looks a simple decision to us with all our slow no and super slow mo replays available, often looks very different pitchside. Thankfully, the ref can make a major decision fully informed of all the facts, instead of guesswork as was the case before. 

LOL
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 8:00am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

LOL

He thinks it’s tennis and the ball is either in or out! 

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 8:27am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Scotland had a penalty awarded against them by VAR, and it was a penalty.

Before the penalty was taken, the keeper was warned to stay on her line.

The keeper saved it.

The ref used VAR again and it was obvious the keeper had come forward before the penalty was struck.

The ref ordered a retake.

Argentina scored to make it 3-3.

They can have no complaints, frankly. The keeper was expressly warned to stay on her line; she didn't; the penalty was the right decision; the retake was the right decision; the goal was fair.

The biggest issue was that it all took a heap of time, and there was feck all added time thereafter.

She had barely come off her line to be fair. While I agree she was pre warned the rule itself is ridiculous & we’ll see far less penalties saved because of it. 

You’ve also the time frame issue. Tackle for first pen took place in the 85th minute, was 89 by the time it was taken.... ordered to be retaken in the 92nd and taken and scored in 94th minute. 
In the middle of all this nonsense the assistant ref shows for a minimum of 4 mins to be added and the ref blows up in the 95th despite pretty much no football being played for 10 minutes. 

You’d be looking at 3 maybe 4 minutes of stoppages before all this so Should’ve been at least 8 or 9 minutes added on 

It's the inconsistency by the referees in implementing the rule, it was only a while ago that the Irish under 17 keeper got sent for a similar offence, and then days\weeks later (can't recall the game)there was a peno shoot out and the keepers were breaching this rule and the referee turned a blind eye.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 8:33am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

LOL

He thinks it’s tennis and the ball is either in or out! 

You cannot be serious
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 9:15am
VAR just does not really work in football. all those guys when it was first suggested years back saying it would ruin the game, make it to stop start are turning out to be correct. its perfect for rugby but for me i think i'd prefer the game before its came in. just to many silly decisions especially the handballs in the box. is anyone really happy with it? probably not.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 9:17am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

VAR just does not really work in football. all those guys when it was first suggested years back saying it would ruin the game, make it to stop start are turning out to be correct. its perfect for rugby but for me i think i'd prefer the game before its came in. just to many silly decisions especially the handballs in the box. is anyone really happy with it? probably not.

The handball decisions have nothing to do with VAR. 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 9:20am
different sport is it
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 9:23am

You really seem to struggle with rules in football.

VAR is the best thing to happen to football in the last 20 years. It's still in its infancy but it's giving the correct outcome to almost every decision. 

YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 9:27am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

VAR is the best thing to happen to football in the last 20 years. It's still in its infancy but it's giving the correct outcome to almost every decision. 

thats your opinion. 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 9:29am

Clap
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 9:30am

thats your opinion. 
Obviously. WTF do you think a forum is? Should I put a disclaimer at the bottom of my posts? 
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 72>
  Share Topic