You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VAR sytem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 72>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

unpopular opinion time - I’m not overly bothered how many times a ref goes to consult VAR during a game or how much longer the game goes on for subsequently 
It’s good entertainment 

Yup - feel like that's actually quite a popular opinion at the moment. I think one of the key differences in this World Cup, as opposed to when it was trialled during the Confed Cup, is that the crowd and tv audience are now able to see exactly what the ref is reviewing. Previously the game would just stop and nothing would happen for a minute or so before a decision was suddenly announced.

it's much better the way it is now.
Sponsored Links

planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

This is the future of officiating. Even on the 50-50 calls, a valid case can usually be made for why the VAR came to it's final decision. 

There will be a time at this WC when a VAR will be needed to send a team through and knock a team out. So if it takes 5 minutes to reach the correct decision, so be it.

I've noticed that diving has been effectively wiped out when watching VAR games. And that can only benefit football.

And sure enough it happened. Before the knockout rounds.

Don't think the ref needs to review offside calls, pitchside. VAR have the resources to call them.

VAR is there to ensure fair play is enforced, and that players don't gain advantages they shouldn't. The fact that we have to go back to stone age refereeing in the EPL/UCL next season, at the so called top level of club football, is mind boggling. 
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 12:19pm
In a lengthy, VAR dominated press conference with Collina yesterday, 4 incidents are shown from the group phase, along with the audio communication between the ref and the room. The conference  us 100 minutes long, so it may not be possible to watch it all. But the VAR clips start 21 minutes in.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 7:41pm
Loved it. I think it has enhanced the game, and it has become a bar to illegitimate goals influencing outcomes. The penalty decisions have also become more irrefutable as they have been the subject of re-review.

Football need to emerge from the stone-age in terms of video review, and this is a start. Undoubtedly its use will be fine tuned and the rules be modified around it, but I hope it will start being rolled out across professional football in the next few years.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 7:43pm
I also liked it. Brings drama and increases the chance of better decisions being made.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 8:39pm
I was very critical of it but it was great at the WC.

It’s not perfect but it will get better over time.

Does the champions league have it next year?
I believe the EPL are waiting one more year.

planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 8:59pm
The EPL and UCL will not have VAR next season, allowing cheats to thrive as before, and refs be blamed for not spotting them. All the other major domestic leagues will have it, as standard. The EFL and FA Cup will have it, at EPL grounds only. 

Edited by planning - 15 Jul 2018 at 9:00pm
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 9:27pm
Griezman dives for the free that lead to the France first goal.
Var doesn’t stop all cheating.

planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 10:09pm
He was fouled, and a free kick was given. Didn't see it initially, but the last replay before the kick was taken, shows the foul taking place. There was no dive. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 10:13pm
The free was very dodgy, but the talking heads have been over the top about the penalty. It was not some outrageous decision. It was a legitimate call, that is at best “dubious”. The idea that this penalty was really controversial was nonsensical.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 10:21pm
It was an awful dive from Griezmann, inexcusable.

It was a definite penalty.
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 10:39pm
I'm a fan of VAR, but I don't see how it could have changed the outcome today. The first goal, the free was a dive, but the ref never reconsidered the decision. The penalty, not deliberate, but again, the referee is the one that interprets it as a foul. And that is where it cannot make any difference, those moments are still at the mercy of the ref.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 10:45pm
I thought it was deliberate though and, more importantly, so did the referee.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

I'm a fan of VAR, but I don't see how it could have changed the outcome today. The first goal, the free was a dive, but the ref never reconsidered the decision. The penalty, not deliberate, but again, the referee is the one that interprets it as a foul. And that is where it cannot make any difference, those moments are still at the mercy of the ref.

I think the crucial thing long term for VAR to really work has to be the timeframe in how long it takes for a decision to be made.

There can't be anymore 2 or 3 minute delays.

(Not talking about the WC Final as I didn't see it due to work) Cry
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

He also thought Griezmann's dive was a free kick so I won't be too impressed by his judgement.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

I think the crucial thing long term for VAR to really work has to be the timeframe in how long it takes for a decision to be made.

There can't be anymore 2 or 3 minute delays.

(Not talking about the WC Final as I didn't see it due to work) Cry

I would put that down to the referees to be honest. Clearly they are not too experienced with the system, as that progresses we won't have long delays, and more people will come around to the idea of using it.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 11:04pm

He also thought Griezmann's dive was a free kick so I won't be too impressed by his judgement.
True. He didn't have three minutes to look at that one.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 11:10pm

True. He didn't have three minutes to look at that one.

He chose not to take the time to look over it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 72>
  Share Topic