Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Based Supporters of UK Football Clubs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

What about the die hard fans on here

Baggio - Man City
Gavintheslob - Liverpool
Bhob, Brendan, Dinny - Man U

Haven't been over in a couple of years, prefer to spend my money on watching Ireland.
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 6:17pm
City twice a year and Celtic at least once, it’s been for past several seasons
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 6:50pm

Baggio - Man City
Gavintheslob - Liverpool

Define die hard  LOL
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Baggio - Man City
Gavintheslob - Liverpool

Define die hard  LOL

I’m sure people like Baggio will admit it but they love their club and take offence when people abuse it.

I guess the defining characteristics is getting upset on a football forum when people sl*g off your team.

I know a big Man U supporter who would be actually in a mood for days if Man U lost a game. When Liverpool won the champions league he didn’t read a newspaper for about a week.

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 28 Jan 2018 at 12:52am

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 11:40pm
My definition of a die-hard : A mate who, when I first met him was on his was to Blackpool on a Tuesday night to watch Reading in an LDV Vans trophy game. Didn't miss one game that season, home or away (And they were in league 1)
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 12:10am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

My definition of a die-hard : A mate who, when I first met him was on his was to Blackpool on a Tuesday night to watch Reading in an LDV Vans trophy game. Didn't miss one game that season, home or away (And they were in league 1)

Seriously impressive tbf! Clap

I know lads who've been to Old Trafford once in their lives, some none (same with a few Liverpool fans I know) yet if their team are under performing the lines comes out "oh don't you just hate plastic fans or sunshine supporters" get to f**k man LOL

Which makes it even more comical is that you can do a day trip from Dublin to Manchester or Liverpool or London etc with match ticket included for the price of a night out. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 12:14am
To be fair most of them lads can't go past the boundary of their home town with out grtting a nose bleed so it's down to medical conditions
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 9:13am
Have been to the Reds 24 times this season.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

I get over to see Celtic about 4 times a year, back in the early 2000's I go to at least 10. Circumstances have changed so not as easy anymore

No bites Cry
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 4:33pm

Baggio - Man City
Gavintheslob - Liverpool

Just seeing this now.

Wouldn't call myself a die hard United fan, I just enjoy talking sh*te about them on here.

Only game I made it to this season was a Championship game. Last year I went on holidays to America, New Zealand, Spain and Glastonbury so I'd rather spend my money on those than going over to see United play.

I also find it hard to justify the cost of the trips considering how much the clubs spend on players these days.

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 4:59pm

Interesting. I would have thought that there would be more frequent travelers in here given the intensity of debate regarding certain posters and the teams they follow. 

It heightens my suspicion that that top level modern football is packaged for people like a soap opera. It's less about actually enjoying live games and more about being "in the know" conversation wise. 

El Puto Amo
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Interesting. I would have thought that there would be more frequent travelers in here given the intensity of debate regarding certain posters and the teams they follow. 

It heightens my suspicion that that top level modern football is packaged for people like a soap opera. It's less about actually enjoying live games and more about being "in the know" conversation wise. 

Think its different for everyone - Me personally, nothing beats being at a game. That's just in general as I'll go and watch many random games if there is one nearby where I am, but it's particularly better when your team is playing. 
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 5:53pm
I can't see myself spending another penny on club football ever again and this is someone who lives in England.
Just the thought of inflating costs and seeing Manchester fans having lovely days out during a derby match sickens me like.

I worked at South Shields FC for 6 months and I got to see how the insides of a club worked back in the old days and it was refreshing, people bringing their dogs to the game, ticket man knew the name of everyone coming in, drinking in the stands legal, smoking in the stands legal. 
A proper community feeling none of this corporate crap. The problem of running a club the old fashioned way are still there in 2018 however such as Gateshead FC fans jumping over the fences looking for a fight so it's not all perfect LOL
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

I can't see myself spending another penny on club football ever again and this is someone who lives in England.
Just the thought of inflating costs and seeing Manchester fans having lovely days out during a derby match sickens me like.

I worked at South Shields FC for 6 months and I got to see how the insides of a club worked back in the old days and it was refreshing, people bringing their dogs to the game, ticket man knew the name of everyone coming in, drinking in the stands legal, smoking in the stands legal. 
A proper community feeling none of this corporate crap. The problem of running a club the old fashioned way are still there in 2018 however such as Gateshead FC fans jumping over the fences looking for a fight so it's not all perfect LOL

Would you not then find a local club, maybe non-league, and go and watch them ??

For me, my team is my team, and even though it costs we a fair bit and given where I live it takes a lot of time and effort (worked out that I covered just over 5,000 miles least season !) and even though there are people walking around in half & half scarves on derby day, you'd never beat the highs of winning a big game, derby, cup final etc. I get the same buzz out of that as I do when Ireland win.

That all said, there is something a bit pure and unspoiled about going and watching the local team. Have been a few times to the club near to where I work : Was great last season in the National League South. Watch the game, have a beer, close to the action. Then they went and messed it up by getting promoted and now you have to drink beer only in the club house !
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 6:25pm
I support United but there is definitely a sense of detachment there. I would be a bit annoyed if they lose but i wouldnt be down in the dumps. I generally love arguing and having debates about football so i would talk about them a lot. But ive followed them since i was a kid and have only been going to bohs a few years but it means more going to the games and having a team from your area in my opinion. If united were playing a premier league game at the same time as bohs id be in dalyer. I regret that i havent followed them for longer but i suppose i just wasnt aware of it that much as i didnt know many people at all growing up going to LOI games until the past few years so it wasnt really something i thought about until then.

I wouldnt talk down anyone who goes over to England regularly to games though because its a fairly significant level of commitment anyway you look at it. It could be for any number of reasons. For example id still check in on the results of the teams i followed in the cities i lived in in europe every now and then and hope they do well, and try to take in a game whenever im back. Everyone has their reasons i suppose

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 29 Jan 2018 at 6:29pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 7:05pm
Can somebody claim to be an adult supporter of a team if they have never actually attended a game at the club they claim to support?

I know this is slightly juvenile, but if you can’t visualise or contextualise the game, and the best you can do is sit atop the barstool, how can you genuinely claim to be a fan?
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 7:29pm
Whilst Irish born I've lived in Sunderland most of my life. I watched my first SAFC match when I was ten we lost 0 3 ( should have known then!) at home to Carlisle in the old second division but I loved every minute of it. It was a night match under the fllodlights with a cracking atmosphere and I was hooked.

As you can imagine its not been full of glory ( whatever that is!) supporting Sunderland but I've met some quality people through supporting SAFC my dad was with me that night at Roker and subsquently I took my son to his first Sunderland match.  My team and always will be.

Edited by Double Maxim - 29 Jan 2018 at 7:30pm
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Christ. What an oddball. Imagine getting so annoyed about a stranger posting on here a few months ago that he was offered free tickets to the Manchester Derby at Old Trafford, so consequently went, had a few beers and a bite to eat, and watched a good game and a result that pleased him.
Was this news to you that there are corporate areas to these top stadiums were fans get fed before a game? They’ve been around for at least 20 years you do know?

This is the man who said last season that he’s all but stopped watching the EPL, yet comments on it every day on here, and a few weeks ago said “no one cares about Manchester” despite it being the hotbed of English football at the minute

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic