You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who's going to Russia anyway?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

The brother went WC 2006 thinking we were a shoe in to be there . He said it was an unreal experience . If I was a young lad with no kids I'd be gone to Russia in a flash .
Did the same with a mate of mine, unreal trip. Interrail 21 day pass for about 200 euro and a tend

Flew to Frankfurt Hahn for the end of the group stages, started with Argentina V Holland in Frankfurt, then Dortmund for Brazil V Japan

Last 16 then we picked Kaiserslautern for Australia V Italy, up to Hannover for Spain V France. 

In the QF's then we stopped off in Cologne for Germany V Argentina, followed by Frankfurt for Brazil V France. 

Went to Munich for the semifinal between France and Portugal where we finally got to see a game. That was due to be Brazil V England and when they were both knocked out in the semifinals tickets were plentiful for that game. Finally up to Berlin for the final. Tried to blag a ticket at the gate and no luck. Watched it in a shop outside the ground, before sneaking in as they opened the gates at the end of the game and topped it off by watching Cannavaro lift the trophy.
Sponsored Links

Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

The brother went WC 2006 thinking we were a shoe in to be there . He said it was an unreal experience . If I was a young lad with no kids I'd be gone to Russia in a flash .
Did the same with a mate of mine, unreal trip. Interrail 21 day pass for about 200 euro and a tend

Flew to Frankfurt Hahn for the end of the group stages, started with Argentina V Holland in Frankfurt, then Dortmund for Brazil V Japan

Last 16 then we picked Kaiserslautern for Australia V Italy, up to Hannover for Spain V France. 

In the QF's then we stopped off in Cologne for Germany V Argentina, followed by Frankfurt for Brazil V France. 

Went to Munich for the semifinal between France and Portugal where we finally got to see a game. That was due to be Brazil V England and when they were both knocked out in the semifinals tickets were plentiful for that game. Finally up to Berlin for the final. Tried to blag a ticket at the gate and no luck. Watched it in a shop outside the ground, before sneaking in as they opened the gates at the end of the game and topped it off by watching Cannavaro lift the trophy.

Oh thems were the days ... One story that stuck out from the brother's trip was that when they travelled to a new city they just got the face painted in one of the teams that were in that city. But I forget what city they arrived in and parked the camper and headed into town . On the way in the lads were chatting who they were gonna follow and just as they got to the bars .. all they just seen lads running through the streets in fear of their lives . Serbia were in that city and the hard-core of their support were just wiping everyone that wasn't Serbian out if it . The lads weren't long getting the Serbian colours in the face . They said they were the crazy people they had ever come across
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 5:23am
My brother wants to go but he says hotels and hostels are raising their prices x20 and unless they bring them down there's no chance. The likes of the smaller cities such as suransk, sochi, Nizhny Novgorod and volgograd are disasters for reasonably priced accommodation. Tickets are also pricey considering only russians can purchase cat 4 tickets.

At least travel between the cities looks cheap. It's a shame such big events get ruined by greedy hoteliers.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 9:09am

Oh thems were the days ... One story that stuck out from the brother's trip was that when they travelled to a new city they just got the face painted in one of the teams that were in that city. But I forget what city they arrived in and parked the camper and headed into town . On the way in the lads were chatting who they were gonna follow and just as they got to the bars .. all they just seen lads running through the streets in fear of their lives . Serbia were in that city and the hard-core of their support were just wiping everyone that wasn't Serbian out if it . The lads weren't long getting the Serbian colours in the face . They said they were the crazy people they had ever come across
Oh sh*te!!! Shocked 

I've applied for a ticket for their game against Brazil in Moscow - and I'll be going by myself! So the last thing I need is to worried about being attacked and ending up in a hospital over there. OuchDead

I know there were no problems from them when they came to Dublin last September (as far as I know anyway) but can anyone offer any re-assurances at all? Or should I just cancel? LOL

For those of you who were in Belgrade at the start of the campaign, what was your experience of them? Have I really got anything to worry about?
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 9:40am
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Oh sh*te!!! Shocked 

I've applied for a ticket for their game against Brazil in Moscow - and I'll be going by myself! So the last thing I need is to worried about being attacked and ending up in a hospital over there. OuchDead

I know there were no problems from them when they came to Dublin last September (as far as I know anyway) but can anyone offer any re-assurances at all? Or should I just cancel? LOL

For those of you who were in Belgrade at the start of the campaign, what was your experience of them? Have I really got anything to worry about?

Afaik there wasn't any trouble with Serbs in Dublin or Belgrade
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 10:10am

Oh sh*te!!! Shocked 

Yeah they were grand, although there wasn't really many of them at the match as there was a fall out with the manager or something like that. It was also lashing out of the heavens which probably put a lot of them off. There was the odd bottle fired over to us when they scored but in general they were grand and there was no hassle during the duration of the trip. Wouldn't be worrying about it too much, just don't be shouting anything about Kosovo. Cracking birds Thumbs Up
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 2:01pm
No bother, thanks lads. Thumbs Up
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

My brother wants to go but he says hotels and hostels are raising their prices x20 and unless they bring them down there's no chance. The likes of the smaller cities such as suransk, sochi, Nizhny Novgorod and volgograd are disasters for reasonably priced accommodation. Tickets are also pricey considering only russians can purchase cat 4 tickets.

At least travel between the cities looks cheap. It's a shame such big events get ruined by greedy hoteliers.

Hotels are  a major issue in some places as you say.  However in fairness Moscow and Saint Petersburg have both been fine.  It was much easier before the draw.  South Africa was a major ripoff in every way.  Brazil was pretty expensive as well.  I have found Russia to be significantly cheaper not ust in the obvious case of getting there.  Internal flights are reasonable on Aeroflot.  

Germany was a fantastic tournament.  I attended Serbia v Holland in Leipzig with no issue and only recall a handful of Serbian fans.  It was a sea of orange.  

With 2022 in Qatar, 2026 surely heading to North America and Uruguay/Argentina/Paraguay favourites for the centenary it might be 2034 before we see another one in Europe.   
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 3:54am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Hotels are  a major issue in some places as you say.  However in fairness Moscow and Saint Petersburg have both been fine.  It was much easier before the draw.  South Africa was a major ripoff in every way.  Brazil was pretty expensive as well.  I have found Russia to be significantly cheaper not ust in the obvious case of getting there.  Internal flights are reasonable on Aeroflot.  

Germany was a fantastic tournament.  I attended Serbia v Holland in Leipzig with no issue and only recall a handful of Serbian fans.  It was a sea of orange.  

With 2022 in Qatar, 2026 surely heading to North America and Uruguay/Argentina/Paraguay favourites for the centenary it might be 2034 before we see another one in Europe.   

You're not wrong. Prices for internal flights seem very affordable. It's a shame host nations spoil them with rip off prices. I'd imagine America would be the best with so many cities that can accommodate so many people.

I know 2034 is a long way off but hopefully if it comes it will be hosted by either Spain / Portugal, Poland / Germany or the UK. I'd be happy with any of those combinations.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 9:07am

You're not wrong. Prices for internal flights seem very affordable. It's a shame host nations spoil them with rip off prices. I'd imagine America would be the best with so many cities that can accommodate so many people.

I know 2034 is a long way off but hopefully if it comes it will be hosted by either Spain / Portugal, Poland / Germany or the UK. I'd be happy with any of those combinations.
So would the bandwagonners - no doubt another ticket fiasco if we were to qualify. Dead
GreenArmy! View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenArmy! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 1:28pm
Kaliningrad was very tight for decent priced accommodation but ended up getting somewhere decent for the two nights around the Spain game.

Have applied for England v Belgium tickets on the off chance but I'm flying home from Gdansk the following morning at around 10am, with the match being a late KO will I be a bit tight making this does anyone reckon? Very tough to find information on this route online.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 1:29pm

So would the bandwagonners - no doubt another ticket fiasco if we were to qualify. Dead

Sure what can you do. I don't mind the bandwagoners at all. If I attend enough matches I'll get my tickets it's as simple as that.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 1:37pm

Sure what can you do. I don't mind the bandwagoners at all. If I attend enough matches I'll get my tickets it's as simple as that.
Neither do I - as long as there's a transparent ticket allocation system in place to give priority to the fans who have been to most matches ahead of the bandwagonners...oh, um, wait a minute...
conor253 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conor253 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 11:04am
Finally decided on our route.

St. Petersburg for a few days before it starts
Moscow - Argentina v Iceland & Germany v Mexico
Rostov - Uruguay v Saudi's
Sochi - Germany v Sweden
Moscow - Brazil v Serbia

Can't wait!
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by conor253 conor253 wrote:

Sochi - Germany v Sweden
Moscow - Brazil v Serbia

Can't wait!

How are you getting to St petersburg? Any luck with accommodation there and in Moscow?
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 2:12pm

Sochi - Germany v Sweden
Moscow - Brazil v Serbia

Can't wait!

Nice route and some cracking games.  Hope you have tickets for Moscow as those three games will have very high demand.  
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 3:15pm
C253
How did you get your hands on the tickets for the Germany games ? The young lad & some of his mates are looking to head over
conor253 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conor253 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 3:21pm

Sochi - Germany v Sweden
Moscow - Brazil v Serbia

Can't wait!

How are you getting to St petersburg? Any luck with accommodation there and in Moscow?
Flying to Helsinki for €90 and getting the train for €40 to St Petersburg, train only takes 3 and a half hours.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
  Share Topic