You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Racism in Football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 27>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 2:33pm
More accounts of racist bullying endemic in the youth setup of another English club: https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/max-noble-fulham-fc-academy-bullying-racism-interview-certified-sports-845000

I doubt it'll get any traction in the mainstream British sports media, though, despite their dedication to rolling coverage of any hint of racism in any other country.
Sponsored Links

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 4:16pm
Marcus Rushford on the racist abuse he has received since Man U's 0 0 draw with Arsenal as "humanity and social media at its worst."
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 6:08pm
Utter crap from the Judge in Kerry today in the Ian Wright racist abuse case.
Ah sure it was out of character, Ah sure it was heat of the moment, Ah sure he's a nice lad from a nice family. Anyone that posts stuff like he did deserved 3 months jail time. Wright himself is really pissed off ovet the lightweighted decision. Basically a slap on the wrist.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 6:09pm
Should the title of this thread be changed.  It doesn't really tell you what it is about  
AKA pedantic kunt
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

Ah sure it was out of character, Ah sure it was heat of the moment, Ah sure he's a nice lad from a nice family. Anyone that posts stuff like he did deserved 3 months jail time. Wright himself is really pissed off ovet the lightweighted decision. Basically a slap on the wrist.

Did you read what sparked the abuse? It was down to Ian Wright not playing well in the FIFA game for him, the absolute mentalist should be locked up.
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Did you read what sparked the abuse? It was down to Ian Wright not playing well in the FIFA game for him, the absolute mentalist should be locked up.
Ya been following the case...Wright saying he forgave him back at the trial probably helped sway the judge. I don't care what excuses are made for this fella he is one disgusting individual.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Should the title of this thread be changed.  It doesn't really tell you what it is about  
Good shout, ill change it now.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 6:43pm
What punishment was handed down?
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Probation... whatever that means. No Criminal conviction against the tramp. I mean he messaged Ian Wright TWENTY different times to abuse him. F**king judge makes me mad. What sort of message does that send?

Edited by ripbomb - 03 Feb 2021 at 7:34pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 7:45pm

Probation... whatever that means. No Criminal conviction against the tramp. I mean he messaged Ian Wright TWENTY different times to abuse him. F**king judge makes me mad. What sort of message does that send?

What do you think should have happened?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

3 months jail...he will do again at the drop of hat. Not for one second do i believe this was out of character or naveity or any other excuse that was made for him. As i said TWENTY times he went to abuse him over some non game on PlayStation. 

brissy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 8:08pm
He should of getting a short time inside, just to let others know it's not ok what he done. Ian wright comes across as a top bloke and didn't have to say he forgave him, hope the lad has learned his lesson, time will tell.

Edited by brissy - 03 Feb 2021 at 8:09pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 8:37pm
Its actually worth reading the coverage around the case. Particular the steps taken by the Defendant  in the aftermath of the incident. These were all taken into account by the Judge. The case was taken at District Court level , there was an early admission and co-operation, the early guilty plea, the positive probation report, the voluntary contribution to an anti-racism organisation, the display of remorse, and the defendants previous character. He also, it seems had, of his own volition done some sort of course to "understand the gravity of his actions". The financial contribution was 1/3 the maximum fine that could have been imposed by the Court.

There is a public interest in taking these things into account when sentencing, and determining the appropriate outcome. Previous poor character, refusal to admit guilt, lack of remorse, and to basically stand there with one's hand in their pockets will land a Defendant in hotter water when it comes to sentencing. The truth is, when taken in the round, a number of steps had to be taken in order for this particular sentence being fixed. Without a number of those factors, the sentence would have been harsher. Basically, the Judge made it clear that it wasn't okay, but took into account, as a Judge must do, the mitigating factors. 

Also, there has been widespread coverage of this particular incident which means that it won't just disappear. The Defendant's name is out in the public domain, and he will have to deal with that going forward, as a consequence. Ian Wright has also made it clear that he is very disappointed with the outcome, which in turn makes this international news. The vast, vast majority of District Court cases won't even make the local newspaper. The Defendant won't be immune from this story re-emerging and, like I said, that is an unrecorded consequence.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 9:08am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I don't think he should have been jailed. Education is the answer, not imprisonment. As part of his sentencing, he should be made attend course based around the issue of racism (if there are any), a community service education approach, where failure to attend or engage in the program will result in short-term imprisonment. 

As someone mentioned above, his reason for the outburst is insane. Who does something like that after playing a video game? He should work on those issues too.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Its actually worth reading the coverage around the case. Particular the steps taken by the Defendant  in the aftermath of the incident. These were all taken into account by the Judge. The case was taken at District Court level , there was an early admission and co-operation, the early guilty plea, the positive probation report, the voluntary contribution to an anti-racism organisation, the display of remorse, and the defendants previous character. He also, it seems had, of his own volition done some sort of course to "understand the gravity of his actions". The financial contribution was 1/3 the maximum fine that could have been imposed by the Court.

There is a public interest in taking these things into account when sentencing, and determining the appropriate outcome. Previous poor character, refusal to admit guilt, lack of remorse, and to basically stand there with one's hand in their pockets will land a Defendant in hotter water when it comes to sentencing. The truth is, when taken in the round, a number of steps had to be taken in order for this particular sentence being fixed. Without a number of those factors, the sentence would have been harsher. Basically, the Judge made it clear that it wasn't okay, but took into account, as a Judge must do, the mitigating factors. 

Also, there has been widespread coverage of this particular incident which means that it won't just disappear. The Defendant's name is out in the public domain, and he will have to deal with that going forward, as a consequence. Ian Wright has also made it clear that he is very disappointed with the outcome, which in turn makes this international news. The vast, vast majority of District Court cases won't even make the local newspaper. The Defendant won't be immune from this story re-emerging and, like I said, that is an unrecorded consequence.

I agree with a lot of that. He did hand himself in to the Gardai at the time and donated 500e to an anti-racism organisation. 

I agree that his life shouldn't be ruined by imprisonment, as he will be dealing with consequences of his actions for a long time in to the future. It'll follow him around for a long time.

I know Ian Wright has asked where is the deterrent if this is the sentence, and he has a point. The stigma attached to this young lad is an unforeseen consequence for those who commit racist abuse in public/online settings, so while it does have it's consequences, it's not an obvious deterrent.

However, those voluntary contributions are a cop-out, as they're usually done to convey a level of remorse, when in reality, if it hadn't become such headline news, he wouldn't have handed himself in or made the contribution.

I agree with him being given probation but would like to see mandatory (re-) education programmes to be included in the sentencing.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 9:28am
"Voluntary contributions" are a bit like indulgences in the Catholic Church way back

All they demonstrate is the ability to pay money

Thought Wright's statement was very good

The lack of punishment from the judge will only embolden others to do what this **** in Tralee did 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 9:52am
From the point of view of the voluntary contribution, nobody knows what his financial circumstances are, and as a result, what sort of a financial stretch it might have been for him or his family. It was undoubtedly seen as a way to make amends, and it is seen as a positive action of contrition. But, it was only one of the factors taken into account in mitigation

I'm not sure how it emboldens anybody who actually read the case. I could guarantee that if somebody was to commit the same offence, on the same terms, and walked into Court having behaved in the exact opposite way to the Defendant, when it came to making amends and taking responsibility, there would be no chance of a similar outcome.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

"Voluntary contributions" are a bit like indulgences in the Catholic Church way back

All they demonstrate is the ability to pay money

Thought Wright's statement was very good

The lack of punishment from the judge will only embolden others to do what this **** in Tralee did 

Agreed. Needs to be a precedence set against people who indulge in this sort of behaviour. It won't solve the problem but it might make people think twice before posting. The fact he posted 20 odd times makes me think there's something deeper going on with this lad rather than a spur of the moment thing. Be that deep seeded racism or a mental health issue. When Alex Jankewich got sent off the other night, the first thing I though was that he was going to be subjected to racist abuse online now being a young black man. Low and behold it happened. It's a sad reflection on the society we live in. Judging by one or two posters on this forum (George Nkencho thread), they probably thing it's ok sadly as it's free speech
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 27>
  Share Topic