Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Racism in Football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 27>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

"Voluntary contributions" are a bit like indulgences in the Catholic Church way back

All they demonstrate is the ability to pay money

Thought Wright's statement was very good

The lack of punishment from the judge will only embolden others to do what this **** in Tralee did 

Agreed. Needs to be a precedence set against people who indulge in this sort of behaviour. It won't solve the problem but it might make people think twice before posting. The fact he posted 20 odd times makes me think there's something deeper going on with this lad rather than a spur of the moment thing. Be that deep seeded racism or a mental health issue. When Alex Jankewich got sent off the other night, the first thing I though was that he was going to be subjected to racist abuse online now being a young black man. Low and behold it happened. It's a sad reflection on the society we live in. Judging by one or two posters on this forum (George Nkencho thread), they probably thing it's ok sadly as it's free speech

Well said.
Sponsored Links

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 2:34pm

Agreed. Needs to be a precedence set against people who indulge in this sort of behaviour. It won't solve the problem but it might make people think twice before posting.

But when it comes before a Court it has to be more nuanced than jut about precedence setting and deterrence. Like I said, without all the individual factors at play, in the case, the Judge would have probably been inclined to go harder. However, upon hearing all the facts of the case, and of the matters in mitigation, there was little to be gained from going for a sanction that would simply be punitive. And I doubt that people will view this as a free for all to engage in whatever behaviour they wish. Simply put, doing the same thing, doing nothing to make amends, and saying "sure what about that lad in Kerry" will cut no ice with a Judge, nor would a legal representative go down that road.

thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Agreed. Needs to be a precedence set against people who indulge in this sort of behaviour. It won't solve the problem but it might make people think twice before posting.

But when it comes before a Court it has to be more nuanced than jut about precedence setting and deterrence. Like I said, without all the individual factors at play, in the case, the Judge would have probably been inclined to go harder. However, upon hearing all the facts of the case, and of the matters in mitigation, there was little to be gained from going for a sanction that would simply be punitive. And I doubt that people will view this as a free for all to engage in whatever behaviour they wish. Simply put, doing the same thing, doing nothing to make amends, and saying "sure what about that lad in Kerry" will cut no ice with a Judge, nor would a legal representative go down that road.

Fair enough. I'm always very quick to jump on the lock em up bandwagon tbf. My brother in law is a lawyer and he's good at explaining some of the reasonings behind the decisions and intricacys of the cases and more often than not, not all the important imformation is given in the press. Good to know the background to the decision making of judges etc whether I agree or not
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

Utter crap from the Judge in Kerry today in the Ian Wright racist abuse case.
Ah sure it was out of character, Ah sure it was heat of the moment, Ah sure he's a nice lad from a nice family. Anyone that posts stuff like he did deserved 3 months jail time. Wright himself is really pissed off ovet the lightweighted decision. Basically a slap on the wrist.

Did you read what sparked the abuse? It was down to Ian Wright not playing well in the FIFA game for him, the absolute mentalist should be locked up.

So Ian Wright was playing on his behalf and played sh*t, so he he sent those messages to him? Is that correct? 
It would damage this forums' reputation
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Ah sure it was out of character, Ah sure it was heat of the moment, Ah sure he's a nice lad from a nice family. Anyone that posts stuff like he did deserved 3 months jail time. Wright himself is really pissed off ovet the lightweighted decision. Basically a slap on the wrist.

Did you read what sparked the abuse? It was down to Ian Wright not playing well in the FIFA game for him, the absolute mentalist should be locked up.

So Ian Wright was playing on his behalf and played sh*t, so he he sent those messages to him? Is that correct? 

Nope! The Ian Wright character in the game.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 6:51pm
What was he playing FIFA 96 for
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 6:57pm
LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 7:14pm
LOL
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 10:11pm

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Nope! The Ian Wright character in the game.

Really LOL LOL  

Ah in fairness that kinda changes things for me. He's got some issues there 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 11:39pm
You'd think a 57 year old man who's been working as an onscreen pundit for the BBC and ITV for over 20 years would know it's not acceptable to mock someone's accent on live TV in front of millions of viewers, like Ian Wright did with Roy Keane.

Not that that absolves the little bollox from Kerry's racism.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 7:52am
I think everybody, even Wright himself, knows that he is a ****; I don't see what that has to do with anything here. 

I agree with Het-field here, which is a strange thing to write. The lad's actions were appalling, but there are deeper issues there if your first reaction to losing on FIFA is that! There's no point in throwing people in jail and hoping it fixes his racism. It doesn't work with most other societal issues, it will hardly work with this.
At the same time, charity can do one and should have nothing at all to do with the legal system.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

You'd think a 57 year old man who's been working as an onscreen pundit for the BBC and ITV for over 20 years would know it's not acceptable to mock someone's accent on live TV in front of millions of viewers, like Ian Wright did with Roy Keane.

Not that that absolves the little bollox from Kerry's racism.

Ridiculous bringing that up! The two incidents are nowhere near comparable.

Edited by BrendanD88 - 05 Feb 2021 at 9:55am
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 10:47am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I think everybody, even Wright himself, knows that he is a ****; I don't see what that has to do with anything here. 

I agree with Het-field here, which is a strange thing to write. The lad's actions were appalling, but there are deeper issues there if your first reaction to losing on FIFA is that! There's no point in throwing people in jail and hoping it fixes his racism. It doesn't work with most other societal issues, it will hardly work with this.
At the same time, charity can do one and should have nothing at all to do with the legal system.

Thanks PM!

Thing is, I don't inherently disagree with punitive sanctions. If this was a pattern of behaviour, or became a pattern of behaviour, at a certain point punishment would be appropriate, as all other interventions are becoming pointless. In some cases crimes are serious enough that a defendant doesnt get a "first offence" let off, and given the length of sentences in those cases, it is inevitable that the early years are just punitive, with a view to gradual rehabilitation, responsibility and proper remorse. In fact, there is a public interest to punish, in those cases.

Also, there is a public interest in rewarding somebody for "getting ahead of the game" when it comes to mitigative factors. Like I said, I'm not sure what else he could really have done in this instance, and the plea would have been comprehensive and holistic. When you reach a certain point, it makes sense, and is in the public interest to reward clear and proper efforts at making amends. Given the number of mitigative factors, I wouldn't focus on any one here, and as I said, if somebody was to come before a court, on a similar charge, and basically relied on "that lad in Kerry", the outcome would undoubtedly be different.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 1:58pm
It is more important to look at where it comes from, rather than just punish the kid and think the problem is solved.  Ireland is riddled with casual racism that leads young lads in Kerry to think doing this is acceptable. This is obviously an extreme example, and I  would imagine there are other issues at play, but even allowing for that he didn't lick it off a stone.
We need to remove analogies with Britain and Ireland's own past from the racism debate in the country and deal with the ignorance head on. That seems to be the get-out clause for Irish racism that is constantly used. There needs to be a proper conversation where we accept Ireland is racist a society as any other before we can move on. We were taught racial superiority in schools, often in the form of well meaning charity and we need to accept that. The attitude we have towards other Irish people, be they protestant or traveller, in particular, also shows us that this problem isn't going to go away. The ostrich approach won't  work and just punishing one lad won't make it all better.

Edited by pre Madonna - 05 Feb 2021 at 2:26pm
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 2:09pm
Punishing a lad won't make things better, but the justice system is supposed to have two functions - punishment and rehabilitation - they are not exclusive from each other

The tone for internet abuse was set by this fella not getting any jail time, he only got a suspended sentence, and from the article he appears not at all rehabilitated:

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 2:18pm
I think the most important functions are the safety of society and rehabilitation. People are far too obsessed with punishment because they can pass the blame of all society's ills on to those who are deemed punishable, rather than look at themselves and society as a whole. 

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It is more important to look at where it comes from, rather than just punish the kid and think the problem is solved.  Ireland is riddled with casual racism that leads young lads in Kerry to think doing this is acceptable. This is obviously an extreme example, and I  would imagine there are other issues at play, but even allowing for that he didn't lick it off a stone.
We need to remove analogies with Britain and Ireland's own past from the racism debate in the country and deal with the ignorance head on. That seems to be the get-out clause for Irish racism that is constantly used. There needs to be a proper conversation where we accept Ireland is racist a society as any other before we can move on. We were thought racial superiority in schools, often in the form of well meaning charity and we need to accept that. The attitude we have towards other Irish people, be they protestant or traveller, in particular, also shows us that this problem isn't going to go away. The ostrich approach won't  work and just punishing one lad won't make it all better.
Shocked
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 2:26pm
Well spotted, thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 27>
  Share Topic