You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Research - Has our fans behaviour got worse?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

I think there is no doubt that it has got significantly worse.  

It is more than drink these days as well.  Some don't even bother cleaning excessive white powder from their noses.  

I really noticed it first in Poland (although some comments re Paris 04 are valid).  The self-policing is gone now.  

Interesting topic and good luck with it.  However there may well be a backlash against the person who brings it into the public domain.  

Agree with this. The level of drinking has gone off the richter in the last decade or so. Poland 2012 was a game changer in that it was the virgin ground for the younger generation who brought home lots of war stories with them. Of course, any of those who missed out on Poland were not going to miss out on France 2016 and this upped the ante on the level of "craic".  Some of the "Tournament"/Big Game awy fans are using the football to replace their beano's in Santa Ponsa or Malia and take serious liberties with their oafish behavior.

As for the self-policing, it takes a brave man to stand up a group of coked upped maggots masquarading as football fans.

True. Can I quote you on that? LOL
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 4:59pm
Football fans on cocaine is a truly Irish thing, as is excessive drinking. After two excellent and well positioned Simpsons GIFs I will leave someone else to insert the Helen Lovejoy one.
That isn't to say that the OP doesn't have a point, certainly in relation to ****s singing at nuns and wanting Facebook likes, but there is a touch of hysteria in there. Maybe it is because I like a pint and the odd mind altering substance, I have never felt the need to kick a football in a continental city though.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Football fans on cocaine is a truly Irish thing, as is excessive drinking. After two excellent and well positioned Simpsons GIFs I will leave someone else to insert the Helen Lovejoy one.
That isn't to say that the OP doesn't have a point, certainly in relation to ****s singing at nuns and wanting Facebook likes, but there is a touch of hysteria in there. Maybe it is because I like a pint and the odd mind altering substance, I have never felt the need to kick a football in a continental city though.

I'm not coming to any conclusion here or attempting to be in any way hysterical. Just asking the question and looking for feedback either way. There were lots of posts about it after Wales and Denmark so thought it might be a topic worth investigating as I had to do a report on something. 

It may not be an Irish thing but Irish football fans on sniff is relatively new, in fairness. There was f**k all of it around in Ireland till the 2000's and no one could afford it if there was. Was more yips and trips in the 90's and not much of that at the football! People doing sniff at football does make a huge difference in behaviour though, the capacity for booze is increased and people end up hitting the wall and crashing when they stop topping up on it.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

I'm not coming to any conclusion here or attempting to be in any way hysterical. Just asking the question and looking for feedback either way. There were lots of posts about it after Wales and Denmark so thought it might be a topic worth investigating as I had to do a report on something. 

It may not be an Irish thing but Irish football fans on sniff is relatively new, in fairness. There was f**k all of it around in Ireland till the 2000's and no one could afford it if there was. Was more yips and trips in the 90's and not much of that at the football! People doing sniff at football does make a huge difference in behaviour though, the capacity for booze is increased and people end up hitting the wall and crashing when they stop topping up on it.

I never meant to imply you were coming to a conclusion at all Drum, I think it is an interesting subject that merits investigation. I was merely saying that drink, drugs and football fans is international and that doing both, or either, doesn't automatically result in the uniquely Irish brand of ****ishness that has developed.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 5:43pm

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

I never meant to imply you were coming to a conclusion at all Drum, I think it is an interesting subject that merits investigation. I was merely saying that drink, drugs and football fans is international and that doing both, or either, doesn't automatically result in the uniquely Irish brand of ****ishness that has developed.

Ah, I know, wasn't aimed at you in particular. Just trying to put some context around it. Thumbs Up
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 7:08pm
Yep different but the same really .
Everyone tries out do the the last, i remember GF saying that he was happy that they didn't have phone cameras around in the 80s .
Drink has always been number one on away trips  but power trips are something else .
Yer i have come across some real fools but it's best to give these a wide berth .
Younger fans seen to have access to more money than before in days gone by and the facebook,time of your life' only ever happened if you can load it on line quicker then anyone else .
Nothing stays the same or nothing ever changes , ohhhh to be Irish .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
brissy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 7:23pm
I thought fans behaved well enough in Poland and France only two fans arrested, every one likes a good piss up
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 7:47pm
I read the thread title as a leading question with the opening poster wishing to have their bias confirmed.  I have read through the posts and no poster yet has self-identified with the targeted 'new' or 'young' fan community.  Maybe in time..... although by that time they may no longer be new or young.

There are RoI Fans who label different parts of the group, most usually to devalue other Football Fans.
"Olé, Olé Brigrade", "Bar-Stooler" "YBIG Team" that type of thing.   Maybe if the OP wants their work to be of some longevity value they could gather a list of internally labelled names that RoI Fans give each other.

My own contribution to Dos and Don'ts:
Do Learn to swim.
Don't stand up in the way of other Football Fans in the Stadium.

www.ucdsupporters.ie
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 7:56pm
I know taking coke and drinking excessively can fuel bad behaviour but it's still primarily down to the individuals themselves. If you're the type of person that purposefully takes coke in front of other supporters, then you're a show off 'look at me' arsehole irrespective whether you take drugs or not. 

I'm sure a fair percentage of us have taken or do take drugs, have friends that do and they don't behave like the way we seen some behaving in Copenhagen and Chisinau. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by UCDFAN UCDFAN wrote:

I read the thread title as a leading question with the opening poster wishing to have their bias confirmed.  I have read through the posts and no poster yet has self-identified with the targeted 'new' or 'young' fan community.  Maybe in time..... although by that time they may no longer be new or young.

There are RoI Fans who label different parts of the group, most usually to devalue other Football Fans.
"Olé, Olé Brigrade", "Bar-Stooler" "YBIG Team" that type of thing.   Maybe if the OP wants their work to be of some longevity value they could gather a list of internally labelled names that RoI Fans give each other.

My own contribution to Dos and Don'ts:
Do Learn to swim.
Don't stand up in the way of other Football Fans in the Stadium.

Helpful contribution, cheers.
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I know taking coke and drinking excessively can fuel bad behaviour but it's still primarily down to the individuals themselves. If you're the type of person that purposefully takes coke in front of other supporters, then you're a show off 'look at me' arsehole irrespective whether you take drugs or not. 

I'm sure a fair percentage of us have taken or do take drugs, have friends that do and they don't behave like the way we seen some behaving in Copenhagen and Chisinau. 

Agree with this, maybe it's not so prominent with the older younger generation but a very high percentage of young adults here do take drugs, so maybe that explains the different attitudes towards it on here. The behavior is down to the person not what their putting into their bodies. I'm sure nearly everyone here has had a bit too much to drink on a trip and I don't see any big problem with that as long as it's harmless.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 8:50pm
Lots of people take drugs.
Lots of people take drugs and bother no one.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Lots of people take drugs.
Lots of people take drugs and bother no one.

Reminded me of this LOL

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Jocky Wilson View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jocky Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 9:09pm
It's the same as any other drinking night in Ireland.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 11:42am
Dont think bad behaviour of Irish football fans has incresed if you compare it to other walks of life, If you put 3000 people in eyre square on a sunday night of a bank holiday weekend well how would you think there behaviour would compare to 3000 football fans on the streets of cardiff on the eve of a match.  Think its safe to say that the authorities in this country have lost the war on drugs so as a nation we have a high usuage of Cocaine and other recreational drugs. In general I have no problem with people taking drugs once done so discretly, I hate when I see two lads coming out of a toilet cubicle after doing lines of coke can they not do this individually. Anyway as a previous poster said its how you behave after excess drink and drugs is the problem, most people are fine its just those who become aggresive which is a minority should be told from their friends to cop on or stay at home.
A poster on here @irelandfan recently encountered behaviour on a flight to copenhagen that made him feel uncomfortable with fans thinking it was ok to grab airline staff by the ass etc.. surely if the airline slapped a ban on these tools they wouldnt be long copping on as there choice of routes to and from games and familly holidays would be severly effected. Im gobsmacked to why airlines allow such behaviour and I see one Airline saying recently that the sale of alcohol should be restricted at airports so we all would suffer the conceqences of these fools. 
One thing I have noticed is in countries where beer in pubs is expensive like France and Denmark it has driven fans to purchase slabs of beer in local supermarkets for consumption in public areas without control, as in countries where beer is cheap like Serbia people are drinking in pubs and if they missbehave they are refused service and asked to leave a bigger deterent for people to be more civilised. Saw one lad in Tbilisi pour a can from a supermarket into a pint glass under a table in a bar, I mean like a Pint was about a euro ffs so where do you go from here.
Inside the stadium you have people asleep at games, I remember in Gdansk I sold a category A ticket to a lad from my hometown think the cost was about €150 and the lad slept through the whole game and to be fair that was his loss and not a cause of any inconvienece for his fellow fans but then you have the opposite when you have guys so pissed its like walking a tightrope trying to get to and from there seat saw an example of this in Andorra when a lad  well pissed tumbled down on top of a lad and his wife and were lucky to escape serious injury. Imagine if this happened in a restaurant in Ireland where a couple were having a meal and a lad who was extremly drunk fell on top of there table you can be sure that there would be a threat of legal proceedings against the restraunt owner for allowing the drunk person on their premises but this threat is not there in away stadia as its a lot of hassel to put in a claim outside your durastriction.
My first away game was the 2-2 draw in Amsterdam and to be fair I have not witnessed any serious missbehaviour but as I head into my mid 40's I tend to avoid the main gathering of Irish fans on the bigger trips last campaign I found the three Carrotts in belgrade fine, saw no one act the maggot. I missed Moldova but in Austria drank in a bar not far from charlie p's and had two great nights with a handfull of other Irish Fans, Georgia drank in the two main pubs but did encounter a small few arseholes but again no serious problems. Wales opted for weatherspoons and the live lounge and again no problems and finally in copenhagen arrived matchday had a few on the stadium concourse and back to the hotel bar afterwards.
So my first game over 17 years ago saw fans queing for brothels and asleep everwhere from too much weed to Copenhagen in 2017, Dont know if alot has changed just the fact that social media and internet forums make it easier to share these stories and events,
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 11:52am
Drumcondra, might be an idea to do a survey as part of your research. You;ll get more honsesty that way, and also it's very important that you have age in it, as suspect the higher that goes up the more negative the response. 

In my day it wore like this LOL
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Drumcondra, might be an idea to do a survey as part of your research. You;ll get more honsesty that way, and also it's very important that you have age in it, as suspect the higher that goes up the more negative the response. 

In my day it wore like this LOL

Very good point, much appreciated, Hoskins. Thumbs Up
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Jocky Wilson Jocky Wilson wrote:

It's the same as any other drinking night in Ireland.

Is it though? Anecdotally it seems to have got worse.

So is it a case that drunken behaviour in general has got worse on any other drunken night in Ireland. 

Or is it just more visible due to mobile phones and social media?

Or is the fact that there's more footage on social media leading to copycat behaviour?

Does boorish behaviour of role models such as McGregor actually have an impact or is that just something the likes of Fintan O'Toole and others exaggerate?

Those are the sort of questions I'm interested in. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic