You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Research - Has our fans behaviour got worse?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 1:37pm
@Drumcondra 69er good look with this bud.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Sponsored Links

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 1:40pm
My opinions in a nutshell....

People having fun in Italia '90 - it was the fime of our lives, we were mighty men.
People having fun in Frank '06 - feckin idiots

We've all got old, I'm sure most people think lads in their 20's nowadays with their fancy haircuts are apes too. Nothing to do with Irish football fans.
irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 1:58pm
Interesting topic all right.My own opinion as someone pushing 40 and going to away games/tournaments the last 20 odd years is that everything is recorded now and on the internet in moments.

Most "away" stories had a certain amount of "you had to be there" about them.The spoken word filtered out the actual behaviour/level of drunkenness etc.Now every waking moment is filmed and like a night out with your mates when your on the dry its not as funny as they think it is or will remember it to be in the morning.

I'm sure if lots of footage like the present day existed of Irish fans on the lash in 1988 & 1990 existed certain men in their late 40s/early 50s would be morto just like a lot of lads will be in 20/30 years will be when their kids watch their behaviour in 2042.

Went on a leaving cert holiday in 1996 with 18 lads to Santa ponsa.im so f**king glad no smart phones existed then.A few years ago young lads let a tv programme follow them on their leaving cert holidays and it didn't alter their behaviour one bit.I personally would have been mortified if my family saw me act like that and worse still it was out for public consumption.

Young lads today couldn't care less and tbh it looks like they act worse when they know they are being films.This applies at international matches also and don't think its a reflection on Irish football fans more society in general
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 2:14pm
I despise the current look at me culture and unfortunately it is alive and well on Ireland trips. Match aside, the people I travel with are there for one reason and that is to have as much craic as possible. The difference though is that it’s spontaneous and it’s not for any other purpose than to amuse ourselves. A lot of the younger people on the trips now are just trying to out-craic each other so that they can post up a clip on Facebook or whatever. Social media is turning/has turned a sizeable proportion of a generation of people into self-obsessed, fame infatuated, vacuous morons, and this is reflected by their behaviour on Ireland trips. As for the aggro that has been mentioned a few times around recent trips, thankfully I haven’t seen any of this but that’s possibly because I tend to try to avoid the kind of places where these idiots would hang out.
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 3:26pm
D69

Firstly, good luck with the Masters.

Interesting slant on the subject matter of Irish and Alcohol (older generations have always complained about the behaviour of the relevant younger generation), to revolve it around Irish Away fans.
As have been mentioned already Social media, change in drinking habits, type of drugs, finances are all relevant.
The only other sport where large numbers travel is rugby so maybe a parallel comparison over the same period might open up some other threads .
I have no experience of Rugby but some lads on here may well travel to both and could offer some input
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 3:29pm
Biggest problem I can see is the return of Charly in large quantities in Copenhagen especially with lads looking to fight anyone be they irish or danish.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
muscles View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote muscles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Euro 2012 sparked it off.  Can't recall any kind of wackiness before that too much.  Maybe Jesus in Zilina.

For me the eejitry is fine as long as people don't start risking their lives or other peoples safety.  Euro 2016 in Paris was over the line with people climbing onto moving lorries.  Don't remember any of that in 2009 there. 

For me I would rather have our fans known for sh*t flags and paddywhackery than being hooligans so I'm not too concerened bar the safety issue.

There definitely was down outside the Moulin Rouge. 
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 4:13pm
So, in summary...

houghton88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote houghton88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by muscles muscles wrote:

Euro 2012 sparked it off.  Can't recall any kind of wackiness before that too much.  Maybe Jesus in Zilina.

For me the eejitry is fine as long as people don't start risking their lives or other peoples safety.  Euro 2016 in Paris was over the line with people climbing onto moving lorries.  Don't remember any of that in 2009 there. 

For me I would rather have our fans known for sh*t flags and paddywhackery than being hooligans so I'm not too concerened bar the safety issue.

2009 Had just as much of this carry on. Plenty of footballs being kicked around wildly under the Eiffel Tower. Plenty of fans pissing all over the tower in open view to the disgust of the locals / tourists. Plenty of random locals and tourists being verbally abused and showered in beer l  
To alcohol!!!! The cause of and solution to all lifes problems.
d-mac View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d-mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 4:32pm

Ahhhhhh the good old do's and dont's on away trips.

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by muscles muscles wrote:

I only remember a few scummers blocking traffic
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
d-mac View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d-mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by DangerHere DangerHere wrote:

I posted on a different thread about what I saw at the home game vs Denmark. A few lads from Cork (on the lash all day it would appear) at the front of 113 spitting towards Christian Eriksen whenever he came to take a corner and also when he celebrated his 1st goal.

One absolute asshat (I presume a Liverpool or Man City "supporter") at the beginning of the 2nd half walked from the back of the stand to the front to roar at Kasper Schmeichel how much of a w**ker his Dad is.

In saying that, I have experienced nothing but fun and good nature when I have travelled to away games

They have a pointLOL
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by d-mac d-mac wrote:

I posted on a different thread about what I saw at the home game vs Denmark. A few lads from Cork (on the lash all day it would appear) at the front of 113 spitting towards Christian Eriksen whenever he came to take a corner and also when he celebrated his 1st goal.

One absolute asshat (I presume a Liverpool or Man City "supporter") at the beginning of the 2nd half walked from the back of the stand to the front to roar at Kasper Schmeichel how much of a w**ker his Dad is.

In saying that, I have experienced nothing but fun and good nature when I have travelled to away games

They have a pointLOL

That was Ireland assistant Roy Keane
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 4:40pm
I'm not sure when the changed happened but I see it like this:

Irish fans have always drank way too much and some got messy, very messy but the football always came first.

In Japan 2002 and before the fans were there for the football. The reason for going was to support the national team and have a good time whilst there.

In Poland 2012 a significant portion, maybe 15-20% were there for the p1ss. It was like a stag do with a football match thrown in. 
In France 2016 that % was maybe 20-25%. 

and I only see it getting worse Disapprove

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by d-mac d-mac wrote:

They have a pointLOL

And the apple didn't fall far from that particular tree.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

I think there is no doubt that it has got significantly worse.  

It is more than drink these days as well.  Some don't even bother cleaning excessive white powder from their noses.  

I really noticed it first in Poland (although some comments re Paris 04 are valid).  The self-policing is gone now.  

Interesting topic and good luck with it.  However there may well be a backlash against the person who brings it into the public domain.  

Agree with this. The level of drinking has gone off the richter in the last decade or so. Poland 2012 was a game changer in that it was the virgin ground for the younger generation who brought home lots of war stories with them. Of course, any of those who missed out on Poland were not going to miss out on France 2016 and this upped the ante on the level of "craic".  Some of the "Tournament"/Big Game awy fans are using the football to replace their beano's in Santa Ponsa or Malia and take serious liberties with their oafish behavior.

As for the self-policing, it takes a brave man to stand up to a group of coked upped maggots masquarading as football fans.

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 13 Dec 2017 at 5:03pm
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic