You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Research - Has our fans behaviour got worse?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Research - Has our fans behaviour got worse?
    Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 11:54am
Hi all,

I'm doing a Masters at the moment and for an assignment on it, I'm writing a piece on recent behaviour on away trips. I'm thinking it'll cover the Irish relationship with alcohol, if the whole McGregor "We're not here to take part, we're here to take over" attitude has had an impact, the desperate attempts by some people and some media to get the next viral video of whacky behaviour picked up, that sort of thing.

There was plenty of comment on here after the Wales game and the Denmark game in particular about behaviour and even Joe Duffy had picked up on that (admittedly harmless) chanting outside Victoria's Secret so I think it's an interesting topic to look into.  

So what do people think, have things worsened or has their always been an element that's been managed and hidden but is now more visible because of mobile phones, social media etc?

Any opinion, incidents, anecdotes or feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Sponsored Links

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:16pm

El Puto Amo
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:17pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:19pm

I've been going to away games since about 2001. I think there has been more acting the ballix since Poland. Social media is defo a major contributing factor and there are a lot more people traveling for the party than the football than there were 10 years ago. 

El Puto Amo
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

LOL LOL
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:22pm
Euro 2012 sparked it off.  Can't recall any kind of wackiness before that too much.  Maybe Jesus in Zilina.

For me the eejitry is fine as long as people don't start risking their lives or other peoples safety.  Euro 2016 in Paris was over the line with people climbing onto moving lorries.  Don't remember any of that in 2009 there. 

For me I would rather have our fans known for sh*t flags and paddywhackery than being hooligans so I'm not too concerened bar the safety issue.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:31pm
Just seems to be a different generational behavior for a start.
Lads of my age (51) give or take, I don't think we'd in our younger days remotely considered some of the cringey tricolor slogans (defacements?) that we see since Euro 2016, they are horrendous.

Definitely internet travel has also made the away trips more possible for event junkies/pissheads.  I believe many of those travelling to away trips (with or without tickets) wouldn't have the same raw passion for the team and the results than the core who travelled in the 70s/80s/90s, they go for a few days on the piss, go to the match pissed and don't take a bad result badly and just go on the piss again.

I certainly don't believe the behaviour has taken any turn for the worst, just some of it is terribly cringeworthy, attention-seeking and annoying.   The "look at us, aren't we Irish gas" stuff is fairly tiresome now at this stage.

Interesting topic 69er.  Good luck with it.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:34pm
I think, the good period of qualifying has of course brought with it the few bandwagoners who are only there for the craic.

But of course the increase in social media and technology has showcased a lot of what perhaps went unnoticed by the large majority before.

For example in book about fan stories (Can't remember name of it-but has been referenced on here a few times)  from Italia 90 there are tales of Irish fans fixing walls outside of pubs and dancing in Trevi Fountain for example would have been things akin to singing to nuns and fixing car tires which were done at Euro 2016.

Also to factor in the ease of travel and wages now. back for example in again Italia 90 the average wage wasn't as much as what it is now and flight prices were certainly not as cheap or a regular as they are today
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Euro 2012 sparked it off.  Can't recall any kind of wackiness before that too much. 
Paris 2004.
Celtic Boom time.
Scrotient level was very high.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:39pm
Worth mentioning also, in the interests of balance, and most will know this but there are plenty of the younger generation who do get what it's about and are interested in keeping up the away-match going traditions of the past rather than fall into the event junkie trap.
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:45pm

Euro 2012 sparked it off.  Can't recall any kind of wackiness before that too much.  Maybe Jesus in Zilina.

For me the eejitry is fine as long as people don't start risking their lives or other peoples safety.  Euro 2016 in Paris was over the line with people climbing onto moving lorries.  Don't remember any of that in 2009 there. 

For me I would rather have our fans known for sh*t flags and paddywhackery than being hooligans so I'm not too concerened bar the safety issue.
Agree with this. A lot give out about the flags and messing that goes on but its all harmless fun. Could be at a lot worse stuff

Saw lads on moving lorries in Bordeaux too
Some people just deserve a slap
randyrandolph View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyrandolph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:47pm
2016 was obviously bad but Euro 2012 was a game changer for me. atmosphere changed completely. new wave of big groups of lads with no interest in the game - just getting f***ed up. access to cheap flights has clearly fueled it but i also think the english casual scene - through movies like football factory etc - has become popular among young irish lads. racism and general acting the c*** is also more prevalent and accepted (or at best ignored).

on a personal level - as an english born irishman, the ignorance we've encountered has gone up in recent years too. 

i've f***ked it off to be honest. these days i far prefer a trip to see a random european club game. 

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Worth mentioning also, in the interests of balance, and most will know this but there are plenty of the younger generation who do get what it's about and are interested in keeping up the away-match going traditions of the past rather than fall into the event junkie trap.

Of course. And it's not even the majority on even the more popular trips such as Wales and Denmark this campaign. There's always been a fierce amount of drink going on even going back to !994 when I started. It feels like I've witnessed more of it since 2012 though. But then, the older I get, the less likely I've been to being in the thick of it so maybe it's more visible to me now.

If I look back on the likes of Brussels 1997, Amsterdam 2000, Paris 2004, Stuttgart 2006, even Paris 2009 when we had very big numbers travelling and a large amount of event junkies I don't recall it being as noticeable or as many lads being barely able to stand. Could be rose tinted specs on my part.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 1:04pm
I think there is no doubt that it has got significantly worse.  

It is more than drink these days as well.  Some don't even bother cleaning excessive white powder from their noses.  

I really noticed it first in Poland (although some comments re Paris 04 are valid).  The self-policing is gone now.  

Interesting topic and good luck with it.  However there may well be a backlash against the person who brings it into the public domain.  
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 1:07pm
In Wales I saw lads walking out to the stadium who couldn't walk. It was actually funny.  They were looking wobbly and I said to my mate ''yer man's going to go down'' and sure enough 2 seconds later he does this Bambi on ice.  So down he goes and his mate tries to help him up.  About a minute later after we passed them lads we end up stuck behind another couple of strugglers looking a bit shaky.  Sure enough down one goes and then a few seconds later down goes his pal.  It was unreal. It was like walking through no mans land!  Soldiers going down all around you.   They were so drunk they couldn't get up.  I doub't they even made it anywhere near the stadium. They were that drunk.

Edited by Trap junior - 13 Dec 2017 at 1:08pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Lostandfound View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lostandfound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 1:15pm

In Wales I saw lads walking out to the stadium who couldn't walk. It was actually funny.  They were looking wobbly and I said to my mate ''yer man's going to go down'' and sure enough 2 seconds later he does this Bambi on ice.  So down he goes and his mate tries to help him up.  About a minute later after we passed them lads we end up stuck behind another couple of strugglers looking a bit shaky.  Sure enough down one goes and then a few seconds later down goes his pal.  It was unreal. It was like walking through no mans land!  Soldiers going down all around you.   They were so drunk they couldn't get up.  I doub't they even made it anywhere near the stadium. They were that drunk.

With their 'football family' tickets in their back pockets.  C**ts. 
DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 1:23pm
I posted on a different thread about what I saw at the home game vs Denmark. A few lads from Cork (on the lash all day it would appear) at the front of 113 spitting towards Christian Eriksen whenever he came to take a corner and also when he celebrated his 1st goal.

One absolute asshat (I presume a Liverpool or Man City "supporter") at the beginning of the 2nd half walked from the back of the stand to the front to roar at Kasper Schmeichel how much of a w**ker his Dad is.

In saying that, I have experienced nothing but fun and good nature when I have travelled to away games
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

I think there is no doubt that it has got significantly worse.  

It is more than drink these days as well.  Some don't even bother cleaning excessive white powder from their noses.  

I really noticed it first in Poland (although some comments re Paris 04 are valid).  The self-policing is gone now.  

Interesting topic and good luck with it.  However there may well be a backlash against the person who brings it into the public domain.  

That's a fair point and I have considered that. It's only for internal college submission at present.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic