Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CaoimhĂ­n Kelleher

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9596979899 171>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I'm just assuming Planning is on a pisstake to be honest.

Well you're assuming wrong again. Kelleher has been in goal in the last 4 games and conceded just two goals, neither his fault. Bazunu conceded 5 in his first 4 games, yet still held the shirt afterwards. So if it was alright for him......

I'm not known for flip flopping after every result. After the early games, you said in every post that Kenny was a time waster in the job. Then after the dead rubber win in Luxembourg, you declared that he had done enough to earn a new contract. And now you're telling us his position is untenable after losing a couple of games, at the end of a long club season. Pick a side of the argument and stick with it. 

Not only that, you're now telling us that Travers deserves a chance, having already got his chance and failed to grasp it. He hasn't played for us in the past 15 months. There must be a reason for that. 
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Well you're assuming wrong again. Kelleher has been in goal in the last 4 games and conceded just two goals, neither his fault. Bazunu conceded 5 in his first 4 games, yet still held the shirt afterwards. So if it was alright for him......

I'm not known for flip flopping after every result. After the early games, you said in every post that Kenny was a time waster in the job. Then after the dead rubber win in Luxembourg, you declared that he had done enough to earn a new contract. And now you're telling us his position is untenable after losing a couple of games, at the end of a long club season. Pick a side of the argument and stick with it. 

Not only that, you're now telling us that Travers deserves a chance, having already got his chance and failed to grasp it. He hasn't played for us in the past 15 months. There must be a reason for that. 

Comments like that give serious credence to the claims that you're a windup

Kelleher and Travers have both made a big howler each in their Ireland performances the last few years. Yet you want one totally discarded and the other is definitely our number 1 keeper apparently

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 10 Jun 2022 at 1:02pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 1:09pm

Yeah. Because the keeper position is not settled yet, and Bazunu was doing well. In fact, who will be the incumbent in a year’s time is unclear, especially as there is potential for two of our keepers to be regular PL starters and another understudying at a top team. The difference is, being understudy at Liverpool isn’t going to be as compelling when you have two players playing regularly in the same league.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Yeah. Because the keeper position is not settled yet, and Bazunu was doing well. In fact, who will be the incumbent in a year’s time is unclear, especially as there is potential for two of our keepers to be regular PL starters and another understudying at a top team. The difference is, being understudy at Liverpool isn’t going to be as compelling when you have two players playing regularly in the same league.

Correct. It is also a possibility (hopefully not) that Bazunu and Travers end up as back ups next season in the premier league and then Kelleher's position as Liverpool back up doesn't look bad at all. 

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 1:37pm
Some of the criticism Kelleher is getting here is way over the top to be honest. I don't think he was really at fault for either of the recent goals conceded. Having said that I think it's more than possible, given some of the saves Bazunu has made for us, most notably the deflected one against Luxembourg which was ridiculously impressive, that Bazunu saves the Armenia one.
We're in a good place on the keeper front at the moment - the three main options might be lacking in experience but they've all got great potential. The difference for me at least is that Bazunu just seems to be a level above both Kelleher and Travers from what I've seen. And whilst I think Kelleher has received some unjust criticism I also think we haven't seen enough from him over the last few games to suggest he should supplant Bazunu as No. 1.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Kelleher and Travers have both made a big howler each in their Ireland performances the last few years. Yet you want one totally discarded and the other is definitely our number 1 keeper apparently

Well the claims are wrong, that's all I have to say about them. 

Kelleher hasn't made a big howler in any Ireland game, and plenty of other posters have acknowledged that he's done nothing wrong. Those who say otherwise, well we know why that is. 

If the others are lucky enough to play EPL football next season, it's a massive step up from facing Luton and Lincoln quality every week. Every error counts, every butterfingers case and every stray pass will be forensically scrutinised with a fine comb on every tv station with the rights at home and abroad, more than the 10 second blink and you'll miss it, highlights reel at the end of a SSN bulletin. There's no hiding place. Every error will be ruthlessly punished by some of the best forwards in the world, they'll concede at least 150 goals between them because their teams are poor at that level, and one if not both may be relegated. 

Imo, Travers got his chance and didn't take it. Normally that's not an issue, but when you have two better keepers ahead of you, then if you have a howler, you might have to wait a while before you get another chance. Which he has done. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 1:59pm

Kelleher hasn't made a big howler in any Ireland game, and plenty of other posters have acknowledged that he's done nothing wrong. Those who say otherwise, well we know why that is. 

If the others are lucky enough to play EPL football next season, it's a massive step up from facing Luton and Lincoln quality every week. Every error counts, every butterfingers case and every stray pass will be forensically scrutinised with a fine comb on every tv station with the rights at home and abroad, more than the 10 second blink and you'll miss it, highlights reel at the end of a SSN bulletin. There's no hiding place. Every error will be ruthlessly punished by some of the best forwards in the world, they'll concede at least 150 goals between them because their teams are poor at that level, and one if not both may be relegated. 

Imo, Travers got his chance and didn't take it. Normally that's not an issue, but when you have two better keepers ahead of you, then if you have a howler, you might have to wait a while before you get another chance. Which he has done. 

To be fair to Travers, he has used that error and bounced back really well, to the point where he is on the verge of being a ft keeper in the PL. I applaud him for that and it's great to have such a good pool of young talented keepers. I wouldn't denigrate Travers achievements over the last season at all, he's shown a great mentality, probably driven on, at least in part, by the competition for the Irish jersey and the desire to atone for that error, so fair dues to the lad. I still think Kelleher is the better keeper though and there's no way he deserves to be dropped on the back of a Duffy/Egan mix up. I'd be saying the same re Bazunu if he conceded similarly.
Idah Dream!
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 2:30pm

You're definitely his Ma
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 3:17pm
Are we calling the goal on Wednesday a howler now?? Could he have done better; absolutely. A howler however? Absolutely not. Travers made a howler and to compare his to Kellehers is nonsensical stuff. I do believe travers deserves to start the next two simply because he was playing every week up until 4 weeks ago. Same cannot be said for Kelleher

Edited by Greener92 - 10 Jun 2022 at 3:18pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Greener92 Greener92 wrote:

Are we calling the goal on Wednesday a howler now?? Could he have done better; absolutely. A howler however? Absolutely not. Travers made a howler and to compare his to Kellehers is nonsensical stuff. I do believe travers deserves to start the next two simply because he was playing every week up until 4 weeks ago. Same cannot be said for Kelleher

I think that would be a dangerous road to go down to be honest, because the precedent would then be set, concede a questionable (and I really dont see Kelleher as the primary culprit) goal and you lose your spot?

If that's the precedent, so be it, but it will then have to apply equally to the others going forward. IMO it would be insane to drop Kelleher at this point in time and point to really weak management. I'd go so far as to say that would be the final straw for me with Kenny.
Idah Dream!
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 4:06pm

Well if you're going to count those games you might as well count the extra 2 goals that you seemed to have missed, bringing it to 4 goals conceded in 4 games. The 2 all draw against Belgium.
The dark side.. And the light
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Well if you're going to count those games you might as well count the extra 2 goals that you seemed to have missed, bringing it to 4 goals conceded in 4 games. The 2 all draw against Belgium.
The dark side.. And the light
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 4:07pm
Travers will play when Kell freezes over.
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Greener92 Greener92 wrote:

I think that would be a dangerous road to go down to be honest, because the precedent would then be set, concede a questionable (and I really dont see Kelleher as the primary culprit) goal and you lose your spot?

If that's the precedent, so be it, but it will then have to apply equally to the others going forward. IMO it would be insane to drop Kelleher at this point in time and point to really weak management. I'd go so far as to say that would be the final straw for me with Kenny.

It’d be very strong management not playing him - the easy decision at present is to to play him.

But travers deserves a chance to redeem himself (should’ve been given the chance on merit last week but that’s another argument), should be given a go for these 2 glorified friendlies 
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 11:41pm
I tend to agree that Travers should at least get a game to be fair to him, but now SKs future may be back in doubt he doesn't have the freedom to just give a cap out of decency / fairness. SK will now need to pick whoever he trusts more.
SavageAnimal View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SavageAnimal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 11:58pm
Bazanu is number one. Next question. Topic closed

Yours in Sport SA
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 6:49pm
Kelleher has been a disgrace today. No idea in what way, but someone will be along shortly to explain why no doubtLOL

Edited by rebelbrowser - 11 Jun 2022 at 6:50pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 6:52pm
Doesn't really tell you anything, this game. He's played a part in three successive brainfarts playing it out of defense but he's had little to do in terms of shot stopping. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9596979899 171>
  Share Topic