You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CaoimhĂ­n Kelleher

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 172>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 2:59pm
Nice problem to have, both are very good with their feet which is a big plus in the modern game (and matches Kenny's desire to play out from the back). The hype train with Bazunu has perhaps gone a little ott imo, he was directly responsible for the (dubious) penalty concession vs Portugal and got away with 3 or 4 hairy moments across the 3 games. Probably my red tinted glasses, but I have watched Kelleher quite a bit and I genuinely think he's the real deal. Baz has the jersey for now and that's entirely fair enough! What happens next season if both are the #2 keepers at Citeh and LFC respectively?
Sponsored Links

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

He's already fallen behind Bazunu and will be facing an uphill climb to challenge him now.

Bazumu is playing league 1 but has the advantage of playing three massive senior internationals and acquitted himself very well.

Even if kelleher gets 10 odd games under his belt for Liverpool I think he'll still be sitting down for the internationals. If he becomes Liverpool number 1 of a number 1 somewhere else then that's a different story.

Exactly.

10 games odd scattered a cross a whole season is not good for any players development. Consistency is key and Kelleher has never had a run of more than 2 games at senior level!

He should be out on loan playing week in and out.

Liverpool have a more than competent back up in Adrian for their cup games and the odd injury to Alisson, if Alisson was to miss an extended part of the season through injury then they could just recall kelleher from loan.
saintjoey View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintjoey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 3:07pm
Of course Kelleher getting a game in the Premier league will be good for him. Yes he needs to be playing more, this should be his last at Liverpool while allision is hanging about but playing for Liverpool will be massive for him if it's once or ten times 
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 3:14pm

He's already fallen behind Bazunu and will be facing an uphill climb to challenge him now.

Bazumu is playing league 1 but has the advantage of playing three massive senior internationals and acquitted himself very well.

Even if kelleher gets 10 odd games under his belt for Liverpool I think he'll still be sitting down for the internationals. If he becomes Liverpool number 1 of a number 1 somewhere else then that's a different story.

It's a rather odd quirk, that Liverpool and City have Brazil's Number 1 and 2 keepers and also have Ireland's 1 and 2 keepers, who both have a good chance of becoming their club number 1s. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 3:19pm
I think the most important thing for Kelleher is to start progressing at club level. International football is a bonus. He should hopefully get a good bit of game time this season in the cups.

Another point, for all the praise that Bazunu is getting and it's well deserved,  I think he would have been disappointed if any of those shots he saved would have went in apart from maybe the Mitrovic was the only one where you say he did very well to save that. He did close down two 1v1 shots very well two, it was a great performance but some of the efforts were more basic saves. 

Kenny has said it is very close between the two and Kelleher is in line to pay against Qatar. If there is a situation where Kelleher is playing regular for liverpool (e.g. injury for Alisson) and is doing well and Bazunu is still in L1 with Portsmouth, Kenny might even be inclined to go with Kelleher. 

It's a good headache to have I suppose!

Edited by t_rAndy - 10 Sep 2021 at 3:27pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 4:17pm
Bazunu took his opportunity when it was presented to him, and it's going to be extremely difficult for the other keepers to win their place as number one, as Bazunu has ultimately improved during each passing game (he's made the odd mistake) and come out of it as being one of the outstanding players during the Kenny campaign.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Exactly.

10 games odd scattered a cross a whole season is not good for any players development. Consistency is key and Kelleher has never had a run of more than 2 games at senior level!

He should be out on loan playing week in and out.

Liverpool have a more than competent back up in Adrian for their cup games and the odd injury to Alisson, if Alisson was to miss an extended part of the season through injury then they could just recall kelleher from loan.

But he is Liverpool's number 2. Clubs don't lends those players out. 
If you think he would be better of at Rotherham playing regularly then you are insane.

Granted, if he was Number 2 for 3+ years there comes a time to make a decision to move, but not when you have just started your first season as a number 2 for one of the biggest clubs in Europe, with one of the best keepers in the world to learn from and a fine manager to boot. 

It would damage this forums' reputation
Fatnacho View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatnacho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 9:12pm
He”ll end up starting quicker at a PL team than Bazunu. Playing 8 good games a season at Liverpool counts more than 40 games in League 1. Training with Alisson and Salah will prepare him better for the rigours of top flight football than facing the likes of Doncaster and Accrington Stanley every week. If Martinez was playing League 1 instead of deputising for Leno there is no way Villa would’ve bought him.

Edited by Fatnacho - 10 Sep 2021 at 9:12pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Fatnacho Fatnacho wrote:

He”ll end up starting quicker at a PL team than Bazunu. Playing 8 good games a season at Liverpool counts more than 40 games in League 1. Training with Alisson and Salah will prepare him better for the rigours of top flight football than facing the likes of Doncaster and Accrington Stanley every week. If Martinez was playing League 1 instead of deputising for Leno there is no way Villa would’ve bought him.

Agreed, having said that, Bazunu has 3 years on him! Both are outstanding prospects tbf, but Kelleher is #2 @ LFC, Bazunu has a way to go to become #2 @ Citeh!

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 11:32pm
South American players cleared by FIFA to play this weekend 

Well f**k it anyway Cry
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by Fatnacho Fatnacho wrote:

Your making a lot of unfounded assumptions there. Bazunu is class. I think that is plain to see for anyone. Hes only going to get better. Has a presence about him. He looks a better player than Kelleher from what i have seen of both. Bazunu is our number 1 now for me.
I love beer gardens
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Well f**k it anyway Cry

Was never going to happen, just an example of fifa posturing
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 1:17am

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Well f**k it anyway Cry

Was never going to happen, just an example of fifa posturing
Hopefully this 'world cup every 2 years' nonsense we've been hearing about in the last few days will quickly go the same way. 
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 1:19am
What is the argument that Kelleher is a better keeper than Bazunu? Or is there one?
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 1:27am
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

What is the argument that Kelleher is a better keeper than Bazunu? Or is there one?

Up until this window, I felt that he was. Kelleher’s movement and positioning is outstanding. He is very agile and excellent with his feet. I though Bazunu looked quite mechanical in his early appearances for us and also slightly error prone.

I think Kelleher is a shade behind Bazunu now. Partly because Bazunu just looks more adjusted to men’s football. He is bigger and more capable under crosses. I think both have a great temperament and mentality but Bazunu really impressed me with how he bounced back from errors in the last couple of games.

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 9:50am
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Up until this window, I felt that he was. Kelleher’s movement and positioning is outstanding. He is very agile and excellent with his feet. I though Bazunu looked quite mechanical in his early appearances for us and also slightly error prone.

I think Kelleher is a shade behind Bazunu now. Partly because Bazunu just looks more adjusted to men’s football. He is bigger and more capable under crosses. I think both have a great temperament and mentality but Bazunu really impressed me with how he bounced back from errors in the last couple of games.

Let's not forget that Bazunu is 3 years younger than Kelleher and he's already played more senior games. That gap will continue to widen. It's an interesting discussion, whether 10 games a year the highest level is better for a young players development than a full season playing week in week out at a lower level.

Personally, for me, I think the route Bazunu is going down is the better. Its likely he'll have another full season at at least Championship level next year.  By the time he's 21, he'll have played well over 100 senior games and will then have a decision to make whether or not to stay at City. However, by that stage he will have a big enough reputation and should get a decent move if he can't dislodge Edirson. 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 9:51am
Bazunu is also 3 years younger then Kelleher, based on his recent performances he will be playing at a much higher level at 22. What was Kelleher doing at 19? Not slating Kelleher he had time on his side as 22 is so young for a goalie but playing 4 games a season as Liverpools no 2 isn't that impressive when you also consider what a calamity Adrian has been in the role. I still think a loan would be the best option for him.

I like that Gavin wasn't happy to wait around playing kids footbsll and went to get some league experience at a young age. It will stand to him later on. 

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 11:26am
I hope Bazunu is the keeper we hope he will be, but 19 years old is very young to be judging a keeper. I like the way he's doing it, going out on loan, playing lots of games, hopefully he can build up the level he's on loan at and do a Dean Henderson-style PL loan eventually.

As for Kelleher, it's a different route, but he's got to be learning loads about how to prepare for Champions League and big PL nights, it's a different type of apprenticeship. Keepers like Martinez stayed as a backup until he was 26, got his move and is one of the best keepers in the league and won Copa this year. 

there's examples of keepers that have succeeded and failed on both those routes. It's a great problem to have
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 172>
  Share Topic