You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Caoimhín Kelleher

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 173>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 1:04pm
Pickford the same yes a far better example actually. Even the Liverpool players last night they had no hesitation in giving the ball to Kelleher at every opportunity the same way they would do with Alison which speaks volumes too for a kid so inexperienced. 

Neco Williams particularly who is such a talent but very green still and as a habit of looking backwards to pass a bit more then forwards it was a help to him.

Edited by kevin100 - 02 Dec 2020 at 1:05pm
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

He got the kiss of life. I said I dont rate him at all the other day. 

The minute trap junior was writing him off I knew he had a future in the game 

You're only saying that because Kelleher is you and Gerry Peytons lovechild
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 1:46pm
Also, don't forget, how many goalkeepers, in a contemporary sense arrive as the ready made article. Dean Henderson appears to be biding his time, but he will only become Manchester United's Number 1 at around 24 years of age (if not a bit later), and having clocked up over 150 appearances elsewhere. Jordan Pickford pottered around the lower leagues, before making his name at Sunderland. Ederson came via Brazil and Benfica's B team. Kasper Schmeichael was a bit of a journeyman before moving up the ranks via Leicester at 25 where he has become a key player for them, and has over 60 caps for Denmark.

I can remember how Randolph became as relevant as he has become. A mistimed overhead kick by Adrian in August 2015 against Leicester City caught Vardy in the face and Adrian was red-carded. Before that, there were wide reports of a deal being set in place between QPR and West Ham that would see Rob Green come back to Upton Park, and that would have sidelined Randolph who had just signed that summer. Instead, Randolph proved himself over three key games at WH, before a tweak sustained by Shay Given in the 2015 game against Germany meant he got his chance in the Irish jersey, and this all established him. But he was relatively old at the time.

Keepers are rarely the ready article when they are young, and it takes time. This is another key factor.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 1:53pm
Very much so and that’s a big reason why I’d be a lot happier for Kelleher being No.2 at Liverpool for the next 3 years let’s say then I would seeing a 21/22 year old full back or midfielder as a back up. Kelleher could be back up to Liverpool for 3 years still only be 25 a very young goalkeeper with still valuable experience gained 

That’s why I said Alissons ability to get injuries at this stage is a bit worrying for Liverpool as he’s 28 young by goalkeeping standards and is only a bigger opportunity for a No.2 keeper at Liverpool again. 
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 2:18pm
The Goalkeeper is the most important player on the pitch, without a capable one your team has no chance.

As we've seen with Randolph lately (looks shaky and rusty) not playing regularly tends to effect keepers far more than outfield players, with this in mind could anyone realistically say Kelleher playing 6-8 games a season at Liverpool would be more beneficial right now to his development than playing 30+ games in The Championship?

There are pro's and con's to this of course, but it shouldn't even be up for debate that playing games week in week out far outweighs everything else in regard to a young players development.

Edited by Green Devil - 02 Dec 2020 at 2:19pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 2:22pm
yeah I would much rather he is with a decent championship side that plays football than sitting on the Liverpool bench. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 2:32pm
Randolph is 34 next year, we need to accept that he will likely retire in the next year or two so it's vital someone is ready to step in and take over.

I'm not so sure a then 23/24 year old Caoimhin Kelleher with only 20 odd club appearances under his belt (mainly in League Cup games or dead rubbers, you would assume) would fill me with confidence going into a full qualifying campaign.

The reason Molomby is now a firm fixture in the senior set up is on the back of his 40 odd games for Millwall last season, so I'd like to see Kelleher go down the same route.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Randolph is 34 next year, we need to accept that he will likely retire in the next year or two so it's vital someone is ready to step in and take over.

I'm not so sure a then 23/24 year old Caoimhin Kelleher with only 20 odd club appearances under his belt (mainly in League Cup games or dead rubbers, you would assume) would fill me with confidence going into a full qualifying campaign.

The reason Molomby is now a firm fixture in the senior set up is on the back of his 40 odd games for Millwall last season, so I'd like to see Kelleher go down the same route.

Fair enough I accept that but I said as much about Obafemi Molumby and Smallbone playing 23s football in another thread and we had a full blown debate that was nearly an argument about that you were disagreeing with me and telling me you were getting tired with me making the same point you are now making here???

Klopp was going to send him out on loan and Kenny has said that he was due to go to Holland only for Alissons injury. I would agree that being out on loan playing at a good level he is better off then being a No.2 but Alisson is becoming a touch injury prone for a goalkeeper a lot of niggles last year and this year and Kelleher may find himself playing 15 games a season for them by being No.2.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Fair enough I accept that but I said as much about Obafemi Molumby and Smallbone playing 23s football in another thread and we had a full blown debate that was nearly an argument about that you were disagreeing with me and telling me you were getting tired with me making the same point you are now making here???

Klopp was going to send him out on loan and Kenny has said that he was due to go to Holland only for Alissons injury. I would agree that being out on loan playing at a good level he is better off then being a No.2 but Alisson is becoming a touch injury prone for a goalkeeper a lot of niggles last year and this year and Kelleher may find himself playing 15 games a season for them by being No.2.

This must be what the third if not fourth time, I've said I wasn't disagreeing with you in regard to seeing our younger players leaving their clubs to go out on loan? Yet again you cannot seem to grasp this? You're not on the forum a wet week, there aren't too many points that haven't been said numerous times before.....

Your argument was completely fabricated and flawed, all hypothetically speaking hence why I picked you up on it. i.e. speaking about our players in the Bundesliga, again NOT about them going out on loan to Championship clubs. 

Anyhow moving on........

Edited by Green Devil - 02 Dec 2020 at 4:07pm

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 4:36pm
Am I the only one who's heart-rate jumps trying to read Kevin's long unpunctuated sentences that sometime carry on and and new sentence is formed just like out of nowhere that but the points are valid and sometime just hard to understand because they go beyond what my mind can take in within one sentence like this one?

Sorry Kevin, not having a pop Smile
Just slow it down for heaven's sake!

Overall I believe we're mostly in agreement - players need to play and the PL is a bad spot for many of our lads where the teams can afford seasoned pros and not rely on 'kids'.
I also hope more of our lads head to the Continent to find their way.

Edited by Fozz - 02 Dec 2020 at 4:36pm
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 5:00pm
While personally it's always nice to have a few players dotted around Europe, it has to be mentioned that The championship is better than most leagues in Europe,  maybe not technically but for argument's sake if you threw Stoke City into leagues in Holland, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Portugal I'd imagine they would finish in the top half of the table. The question is though  from our point of view what are the best leagues for International footballers tolearn there trade?
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Am I the only one who's heart-rate jumps trying to read Kevin's long unpunctuated sentences that sometime carry on and and new sentence is formed just like out of nowhere that but the points are valid and sometime just hard to understand because they go beyond what my mind can take in within one sentence like this one?

Sorry Kevin, not having a pop Smile
Just slow it down for heaven's sake!

Overall I believe we're mostly in agreement - players need to play and the PL is a bad spot for many of our lads where the teams can afford seasoned pros and not rely on 'kids'.
I also hope more of our lads head to the Continent to find their way.

Story Fozz. 

Yes I am atrocious for this I know it’s a combination of passion and dyslexia. 😂😂 

That’s pretty much it in a sentence. I just thought Oba Molumby and Smallbone all playing a 23s match was a bit mad and they all more then good enough to be playing Championship football at least. Smallbone has been injured fair enough but the other two have suffered from a lack of football. 

It could be Holland Belgium Portugal Austria France Spain Switzerland many countries with competitive Leagues I was just using Germany as there is evidence of many young British players being recruited by German clubs that’s all. 

Championship is more competitive then a number of Leagues at the moment nothing wrong with it but it would be below France Germany Spain Italy etcs top flight.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 7:45pm
kevin one of the best new posters on here who has a decent knowledge of football and doesn't overreact  
AKA pedantic kunt
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

kevin one of the best new posters on here who has a decent knowledge of football and doesn't overreact  

Sound Baldrick don’t know about the first part (😂) the 2nd part is important in life.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 8:16pm

This must be what the third if not fourth time, I've said I wasn't disagreeing with you in regard to seeing our younger players leaving their clubs to go out on loan? Yet again you cannot seem to grasp this? You're not on the forum a wet week, there aren't too many points that haven't been said numerous times before.....

Your argument was completely fabricated and flawed, all hypothetically speaking hence why I picked you up on it. i.e. speaking about our players in the Bundesliga, again NOT about them going out on loan to Championship clubs. 

Anyhow moving on........

Fair enough just on the Championship where would people rank the Championship as regard strong Leagues in Europe. I’d have it 6th probably behind the Top 5 European Leagues PL La Liga Bundesliga Serie A and Ligue 1 in 6th think that’s a reasonable assumption.
Four-Four-Two View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 8:51pm

Anyhow moving on........

Fair enough just on the Championship where would people rank the Championship as regard strong Leagues in Europe. I’d have it 6th probably behind the Top 5 European Leagues PL La Liga Bundesliga Serie A and Ligue 1 in 6th think that’s a reasonable assumption.

probable weaker than russia and turkey, and you'd have the top teams in places like netherlands, belgium, ukraine, greece etc being stronger than any championship sides. but i take the point that its quite a good standard
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 12:06am
Spain put 4 past Italy in 2012 Final.
Buffon was outstanding and could have been 7/8.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Four-Four-Two Four-Four-Two wrote:

Anyhow moving on........

probable weaker than russia and turkey, and you'd have the top teams in places like netherlands, belgium, ukraine, greece etc being stronger than any championship sides. but i take the point that its quite a good standard

In terms of overall depth, Championship is definitely Top 10 in Europe. If you told me, we would have 25-30 players playing regularly in Championship and no other League we would have a very decent side. As an actual League, I honestly think it's the best League in Europe. Vey even standard, very little between a potential relegation scrap/play off contention. The Play Offs and in particular the Play Off Final is one of Europe's premier games IMHO.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 173>
  Share Topic