Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CaoimhĂ­n Kelleher

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 979899100101 171>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 12:09pm
The thing is though the regular football thing has to be a yardstick, as in real time you are seeing players in action, and if they are doing well and earning plaudits and rave reviews it is something that needs to be given weight. The reality is, we have the luxury of being able to apply different standards due to the age and playing status of the players involved. 
Sponsored Links

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Kelleher is ahead of Travers in the pecking order there’s no doubt about that and it won’t change if he remains at Liverpool playing backup to Allison.

I’d agree with that in the immediate term. However, given Kenny’s comments about playing time, if both Bazunu and Travers successfully step up in the Premiership, I suspect there will be a rethink.

The only issue being that Kelleher generally did well over the matches he played this year, and Kenny might maintain that as the status quo.

Thats the thing.

Travers was set to play in March but missed the games through injury and Kelleher came in done reasonably well.

Had Travers not been ruled out and played then he would have really been in contention for the June games but there was no way Kenny was going to make an unnecessary change with an already settled back 3/5 in front of Kelleher from the previous 2 games.

Especially after Travers performance in Serbia when thrown in the deep end, the nerves and/or eagerness to impress could easily get the better of him again in big game. He of course deserves a shot at redeeming himself after a very impressive season but throwing him in for those games probably wouldn't have been for the best.

The end of year friendlies will be a good chance for him to be eased back in as no.2 if himself and Bazunu playing week in/out and Kelleher isn't. Solid chance Kelleher wont have played a game since June since he played for us and the November friendlies.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

He's played the last 6 games for us (and overall done pretty well) yet he's probably going to be 3rd in the pecking order come September barring injury. Kenny only said last week that he's enough strength in depth no to pick lads who are playing every week. 

Why would Kenny play him ahead of Travers if he's going to be 3rd choice in September. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 5:49pm
I don't think one more season at Liverpool would be a bad decision. Allison could get injured for a while etc. But really this has to be the last season as back up if he only gets a handful of games. 

It would damage this forums' reputation
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

I don't think one more season at Liverpool would be a bad decision. Allison could get injured for a while etc. But really this has to be the last season as back up if he only gets a handful of games. 

I think he is too old for another season on the bench
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Sounding like it's going to be another year as the "Carabao Cup keeper" for Kelleher. He better hope Klopp doesn't just pick a load of kids and they get knocked out in the second round.

Apparently it was also a difficult decision for Klopp to start him in the League Cup final this year. Which doesn't make it sound like he might even be promoted to the heady heights of "FA Cup keeper" any time soon.

Are you the self appointed leader of the get him out of Liverpool campaign, or something?

First, it was because Bazunu was off for Liverpool. Then he was off on loan to play in the pub league. Then it was because Travers deserves to play games, just for turning up. Now playing him was Klopp's difficult decision. 

He played in 3 of 4 competitions for Liverpool last season. Literally the first thing Klopp did after getting to the final was announce that Kelleher was playing it, 5 weeks in advance. 

When he's playing, he's told he needs to go. When he's not playing, he's told he needs to go. When he's man of the match, he's told he needs to go, and on the rare occasion he doesn't keep a clean sheet, he's told he needs to go. He's not going, that's that. It's a very simple message, that a blind man can even see it. And considering he's played 7 of our last 9 games, including all of the last 6, he doesn't need to move anywhere atm to play for us.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Sounding like it's going to be another year as the "Carabao Cup keeper" for Kelleher. He better hope Klopp doesn't just pick a load of kids and they get knocked out in the second round.

Apparently it was also a difficult decision for Klopp to start him in the League Cup final this year. Which doesn't make it sound like he might even be promoted to the heady heights of "FA Cup keeper" any time soon.

Are you the self appointed leader of the get him out of Liverpool campaign, or something?

First, it was because Bazunu was off for Liverpool. Then he was off on loan to play in the pub league. Then it was because Travers deserves to play games, just for turning up. Now playing him was Klopp's difficult decision. 

He played in 3 of 4 competitions for Liverpool last season. Literally the first thing Klopp did after getting to the final was announce that Kelleher was playing it, 5 weeks in advance. 

When he's playing, he's told he needs to go. When he's not playing, he's told he needs to go. When he's man of the match, he's told he needs to go, and on the rare occasion he doesn't keep a clean sheet, he's told he needs to go. He's not going, that's that. It's a very simple message, that a blind man can even see it. And considering he's played 7 of our last 9 games, including all of the last 6, he doesn't need to move anywhere atm to play for us.

Calling League One a pub league is a bit silly. There's probably 5 leagues in Europe that are better than the Championship. It isn't ridiculous to say that League One is the 12th or 13th best in the world.
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 12:19pm

He's only playing because Bazunu wasn't available. You do realise that?

And our other two keepers, who are playing in 'pub leagues' look to be starting for two premier league teams next season.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 12:29pm

I just have to say, I read that whole post in the voice of a JĂĽrgen Klopp press conference rant and it was great. LOL
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by counterlock counterlock wrote:

And our other two keepers, who are playing in 'pub leagues' look to be starting for two premier league teams next season.

No they don't. As Kelleher knows, it's one thing to be at one of the clubs, but another thing to actually play games in it. 

You also realise that the others only got the chance to be No. 1 when Kelleher was injured for the home game against Luxembourg, and paid the price for the rest of the campaign. 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 1:20pm

No they don't. As Kelleher knows, it's one thing to be at one of the clubs, but another thing to actually play games in it. 

You also realise that the others only got the chance to be No. 1 when Kelleher was injured for the home game against Luxembourg, and paid the price for the rest of the campaign. 

The road never travelled is always full of hope and glory. 

Classic human trait to assume other choices would have made for better outcomes. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 1:29pm
Nosston - More Than a Caoimhin 🎶

I looked out this morning and Cullen was gone
Turned on some music to start my day
I lost myself in a familiar ball hit long
I caught the ball and it slipped away

It's more than a Caoimhin
(More than a Caoimhin)
When I see that old goalie they used to play
(More than a Caoimhin)
I begin Caoimhin
(More than a Caoimhin)
'Til I see Hourihane walk away
I see my Hourihane walkin' away

So many goalies have come and gone
Their faces fade as the years go by
Yet I still recall as I wander on
As clear as Josh Cullen in the summer sky

(More than a Caoimhin)
When I hear about that old goalie they used to play
(More than a Caoimhin)
Klopp begins Caoimhin
(More than a Caoimhin)
I see my Hourihane walkin' away

When I'm tired and thinking cold
I hide on the bench, forget the day
And dream of a Daryl I used to know
I closed my eyes and Horgan slipped away
He slipped away

(More than a Caoimhin)
When I hear about that old keeper they used to play
(More than a Caoimhin)
Klopp begins Caoimhin
(More than a Caoimhin)
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 2:14pm

If Bazunu and Travers are playing weekly in the PL, which looks likely, Kelleher will be relegated to 3rd choice for us. Kenny has already said the squad now has enough strength in depth to give him the flexibility to pick lads who are playing regularly. The way it should be. GK is undoubtedly the position we have the most strength in depth now too
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 2:45pm

Neither of them are up against one of best keepers in the world. Bazunu has signed for a team without a recognised number 1 keeper, Travers was widely regarded as the best keeper in the pub league. Both will be fighting for starting spots, regardless of what happens injury wise.

All Kelleher can hope for is a dozen games in the cups, unless of course Allison needs the run out, like in the semi against Arsenal.

planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

If Bazunu and Travers are playing weekly in the PL, which looks likely, Kelleher will be relegated to 3rd choice for us. Kenny has already said the squad now has enough strength in depth to give him the flexibility to pick lads who are playing regularly. The way it should be. GK is undoubtedly the position we have the most strength in depth now too

If he picked players playing regularly, Travers would have played more games for us than 0 in 15 months, and Kelleher wouldn't get a look in rather than the last 6 games. So he's still got a way to go before he's ahead of Kelleher.
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2022 at 9:28pm
didn't travel for their games in thailand and singapore due to injury, but seems alisson has an injury now as well and is questionable for the community shield which is end of july. maybe he will play that game, but with regards to him possibly moving somewhere on loan, probably not a good sign that both he and alisson arent fully healthy
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2022 at 10:50pm
He was staying on anyways! Abdominal injuries can often be problematic so they won't be risking Alisson not until the first game of the season proper at least. 

Kelleher was ruled out of the Asian tour which ended yesterday. You would hope he would be back ready for the Charity Shield at least. Would be a disaster if he was out 5/6 weeks with a niggly injury with Alissons injury!
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 9:10pm
Still no sign of Kelleher sidelined with an injury of sorts! Set to miss the tour to Austria now as well. Very frustrating as he could be getting a good run of games this pre season culminating in the Charity Shield! I doubt Liverpool will risk Alisson before the League starts!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 979899100101 171>
  Share Topic