You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Caoimhín Kelleher

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 171>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 10:52am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

At that point Bazunu would be 20 and would have 70 or 80 first team starts already behind him from the previous two seasons, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if he was a bench option at City next season.

The more likely outcome next year though is that Bazunu goes on loan to the Championship, Bournemouth go up and buy a new keeper, keeping Travers on the bench and Kelleher continues to do SFA at Liverpool.

As things stand it's Bazunu's jersey to lose for the foreseeable and he doesn't look like losing it.

First off I was dissapointed not to see Kelleher get a run last night and would be very dissapointed if he didn't get one in the last game to boot. 

He is in a rock and a hard place as in a way no Ireland player is in a better position. Alisson gets an injury and he's playing every week for one of the top teams on the planet. On the other hand his lack of gametime is an issue especially as he hasn't had a loan of any description. 

I don't think Travers will be replaced by a signing if Bournemouth go up btw. Playing very well this year his stats are up their with any keeper in the Championship. That they signed Nyland a good keeper with experience as back up in case Travers had a nightmare spell thrown into the firing line is a real positive that he's the long term No.1 there if he continues to improve on what he's doing. Think Bournemouth would be prioritizing defenders myself. 

It's hard to know what to make of Travers' season. Obviously in terms of appearances and clean sheets his numbers are great, but I've watched Bournemouth a few times now and they tend to control possession so much at that level that he's getting a free pass a lot of the time. 

Even in the game they lost against Derby, he was faultless for the goals conceded and really didn't have an awful lot else to do, so it was hard enough to judge him once again. 

I like his size and he does make some top drawer saves from time to time, but he still looks unconvincing on crosses and despite playing for a team that likes to get the ball down and play he is not really a ball playing keeper - likes to hoof it long a lot of the time. I see him as a good backup option but with a much lower ceiling than Bazunu in the long run.
Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Fatnacho Fatnacho wrote:

What’s gonna happen next season when both Kelleher and Bazunu will be sitting on the benches at Liverpool and City? 
Klopp won’t be buying a new 2nd choice keeper and Zach Steffen is gonna force a move from City to keep his World Cup place with the US.
Going by everyone’s logic, I assume, therefore Travers will have to start for the national team as he”ll probably be the only keeper with regular game time.

Steffon only just signed a new four year contract so highly doubt he'll be forcing any moves and Bazunu will probably continue his development for another couple of seasons before coming back to City as number 2.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 8:51pm
Taffarel seemingly joining Liverpool to coach Allison. So doesn't sound like he's going anywhere anytime soon. Kelleher best off moving on 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Taffarel seemingly joining Liverpool to coach Allison. So doesn't sound like he's going anywhere anytime soon. Kelleher best off moving on 

If Allison was to move to another club in the morning, there is not a chance Kelleher, with little to no experience, is getting the No.1 jersey at one of the best clubs currently in World football. Liverpool would be forking out another 50/60m for a World class keeper.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 10:51pm

I don't know how many times it has to be explained to people, but the "he's not going anywhere" message is just not getting through to them. This appointment makes no difference to him either.

Klopp has said in the past that he would be happy to put any of his 3 keepers on the pitch. So he will be No. 1 if he has to be. 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 11:05pm
Can’t remember the last time this lad conceded a goal Clap
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

I don't know how many times it has to be explained to people, but the "he's not going anywhere" message is just not getting through to them. This appointment makes no difference to him either.

Klopp has said in the past that he would be happy to put any of his 3 keepers on the pitch. So he will be No. 1 if he has to be. 

This is an extraordinary statement to make. Klopp may be happy with Kelleher for now but that may change at any time. Kelleher also has a say in the direction his career takes, he may very well want first team football sooner than later.

You can "explain it" as much as you want Planning but you simply don't know.

I have no issue with Kelleher staying as back up for a year or two at Liverpool how could he not. However it would be criminal if they don't consider loaning him out to a club at a decent level next year or the year after to get him a full season or two of games and develop him to come up to a Dean Henderson type level where he can come back and challenge Alisson if Alisson does a De Gea and drops the ball. 

Hopefully he gets the final CL game and the League Cup 1/4 final now. We don't see enough of him and I mean that in a nice way as he's such a fun keeper to watch oozes quality and swagger.
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Can’t remember the last time this lad conceded a goal Clap
 LOL
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 12:05am
Klopp has managed the Kelleher situation well so far. Trusting him in any senior fixture shows how highly he rates him. Kelleher is the number 2 at the club and will be expected to step up at any minute. Training 5/6 days a week with that squad is doing him no harm at all and if/when he gets a call he’s ready to step in. The ideal scenario for Kelleher and Ireland is Alison gets injured and Kelleher steps in and does well for 8 or 10 games and maybe gets a move out of it down the line. 

If he gets a move in January he’s only going to go to play as a number 1 keeper. He’s not going to the Championship so tell me what Premier League club needs a number 1 at the moment? There’s established keepers at every club so he’s not going anywhere soon. He’s after signing a new contract as well and he’s on decent money so I would think he’s in no rush. He’s not going to regress if he’s not starting games and he has the security of his contract for another few years. The downside to that contract is it would take a decent bid to sign the number 2 keeper at one of the biggest clubs in Europe no matter how old he is or how many/little games he’s played.  
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 9:38am

He's joining to provide a different perspective and to coach all goalkeepers. Kelleher will benefit from this. 

greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 9:58am
Allison is only 29 years old. He's not going anywhere for ages! Hard to see Kelleher unseating him without going out on loan and shooting out the stars and coming back to Lpool to put pressure on Allison. It didnt work for Henderson at United either, despite having a great spell away on loan.
Kelleher really is in a difficult position.
It's very rare for a number 2 goalie to unseat a number 1. Lads hoping Allison makes a few mistakes and Kellher gets in are dreaming.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 10:20am
Originally posted by bundy bundy wrote:

Klopp has managed the Kelleher situation well so far. Trusting him in any senior fixture shows how highly he rates him. Kelleher is the number 2 at the club and will be expected to step up at any minute. Training 5/6 days a week with that squad is doing him no harm at all and if/when he gets a call he’s ready to step in. The ideal scenario for Kelleher and Ireland is Alison gets injured and Kelleher steps in and does well for 8 or 10 games and maybe gets a move out of it down the line. 

If he gets a move in January he’s only going to go to play as a number 1 keeper. He’s not going to the Championship so tell me what Premier League club needs a number 1 at the moment? There’s established keepers at every club so he’s not going anywhere soon. He’s after signing a new contract as well and he’s on decent money so I would think he’s in no rush. He’s not going to regress if he’s not starting games and he has the security of his contract for another few years. The downside to that contract is it would take a decent bid to sign the number 2 keeper at one of the biggest clubs in Europe no matter how old he is or how many/little games he’s played.  

Why is he not going to the Championship? That's exactly where he should be going. No EPL club is going to loan in a keeper who has only played a dozen first team games to be their first choice. Realistically he's probably not going anywhere because he's number 2 at Liverpool, but the idea that he's above the Championship at this point is not based in reality.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

He's joining to provide a different perspective and to coach all goalkeepers. Kelleher will benefit from this. 

Taffarel was f**king sh*te! Hope he’s a better coach. 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 11:22am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Taffarel was f**king sh*te! Hope he’s a better coach. 

Yeah, Taffarel looked the part. Had a presence about him, but was fairly average more often than not.
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 12:33pm
His career and honours would suggest he was a bit better than average!  
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 12:38pm
All the goalkeepers I remember from when I was really young (Campos, Ravelli, Taffarel) were a bit sh*t in hindsight. The reason they resonated with you at the time is because they were mad lads.

Rustu Recber and Carlos Roa are another couple from my heyday of enjoying football. 
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 3:05pm

He is well aware of his situation, he's well aware of what everyone thinks of it. He's well aware that nobody at the club wants Alisson to be out at all. He's accepted his situation and still signed a new contract. It's not ideal, but a) playing anywhere else is a step down for him, and b) is no guarantee of playing for Ireland.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

He is well aware of his situation, he's well aware of what everyone thinks of it. He's well aware that nobody at the club wants Alisson to be out at all. He's accepted his situation and still signed a new contract. It's not ideal, but a) playing anywhere else is a step down for him, and b) is no guarantee of playing for Ireland.

How is playing somewhere else a step down from not playing at all? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 171>
  Share Topic