You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CaoimhĂ­n Kelleher

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 171>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 12:21pm
nice story published today in The Athletic about him.
He became a goalkeeper at 14 years of age, having been a striker, one of the best strikers in his age group in Cork apparently. 
Only switched to being a keeper when his team’s keeper decided to quit the team, and Kelleher’s dad called the coach and said why not try Caoimhin in goals. His dad claims he would never have made the call if the other keeper hadn’t quit.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

How much has street football declined in this country?

It's sort of difficult to gauge this because where I grew up there were a lot of kids and we'd be out kicking ball all the time, the street was where you learned your skills

Where I live now doesn't have any kids

But even in the newer estates where there are kids, the impression I get is that there's much less street football

I wonder what the situation in, say South American countries is in this regard compared to Ireland

This is an issue across the board about how much kids are let out due to the perceived/real dangers.
Cars are everywhere now, speeding about and its simply more dangerous because of that one element straight away.
Yes, there were cars around in the 80's but think back to when U were kicking the ball on the road and look at the same road now...packed with abandoned cars on paths and everywhere.

Then you have the prevalence of social media to propagate fear and paranoia and more parents keep little Johnny tucked up as a 12-year old infant, driving him to the school gate (and through it if they can) and ferrying him everywhere to arranged playdates.

I'm not one for thinking it was all rosy in the garden then as it wasn't, not by a long shot and as kids then we didn't realise the hardships our elders were experiencing with work and emigration and poverty.
Things are far better now across the board but by giving over our streets to cars, and our minds to fear, we are taking away from the kids what is most precious which is unorganized (by adults!), spontaneous playtime.

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

How much has street football declined in this country?

It's sort of difficult to gauge this because where I grew up there were a lot of kids and we'd be out kicking ball all the time, the street was where you learned your skills

Where I live now doesn't have any kids

But even in the newer estates where there are kids, the impression I get is that there's much less street football

I wonder what the situation in, say South American countries is in this regard compared to Ireland

This is an issue across the board about how much kids are let out due to the perceived/real dangers.
Cars are everywhere now, speeding about and its simply more dangerous because of that one element straight away.
Yes, there were cars around in the 80's but think back to when U were kicking the ball on the road and look at the same road now...packed with abandoned cars on paths and everywhere.

Then you have the prevalence of social media to propagate fear and paranoia and more parents keep little Johnny tucked up as a 12-year old infant, driving him to the school gate (and through it if they can) and ferrying him everywhere to arranged playdates.

I'm not one for thinking it was all rosy in the garden then as it wasn't, not by a long shot and as kids then we didn't realise the hardships our elders were experiencing with work and emigration and poverty.
Things are far better now across the board but by giving over our streets to cars, and our minds to fear, we are taking away from the kids what is most precious which is unorganized (by adults!), spontaneous playtime.

I think there are two competing things at play alright

The natural desire of a parent to keep their child safe, and the associated philosophy that playtime or training time for children should be heavily regulated and non-competitive

But the reality is that the forming processes for footballers have always been brutal

The tougher the forming process, the better the footballer it would produce

I know this is cliched, but it's true - the best footballers generally were desperate to get out of the circumstances they grew up in, they saw football as a way out of that

But at the same time, that forming process left so many youngsters on the scrapheap

I think Luis Suarez is an example of a footballer that came through a very tough forming process and it shows in his character

Maradona too obviously

But our young footballers generally don't have anything like that

As a parent or a coach, you want to take the adversity out of things, and you want to concentrate on forming a young, rounded human being

You ant to remove the adversity

But having overcome adversity is a massive advantage for a top level footballer

JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 1:06pm
Dont see kids playing ball on the street I grew up on either. There used to be 20 of us every day, all day, during the summer months and everywhere we went we carried a ball and could start a game anywhere, and that was only the 90s.

There is a lot less kids in the area these days I think, but maybe I just dont see them because they dont hang around the street anymore but what I will say is the area has much better facilities. There is a 5 a side all weahther pitch and the community hall was rebuilt and has a brilliant indoor pitch now . Id say this is true for most of the country tbh.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 1:09pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Bucks2020 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks2020 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 1:16pm
When people compare anything to 90s Ireland you have to remember Ireland is a different world nowadays compared to the 1990s for many reasons. I wouldnt even say its an Irish thing, from my experience in Europe even in countries like Spain its not as common (I remember when I was only 13 playing football in public with some local kids in Malaga and the police were called...) What has been improved in countries like this is there needs to be specially designated places for these kids to play football, simply playing on the street just isnt a thing anymore in this part of the world.

Comparing also to SA countries like Uruguay and Brazil isnt really comparable either as they are like mentioned above in a situation kind of like Ireland in the 90s where football can be used as an escape to all the crap that goes on in life whereas in Europe there are too many screens and distractions and thats before we talk about the dangers such as traffic and other things.
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 3:41pm

“And Caoimhin did well. So, there are not a lot of reasons I could mention in this moment to say he will not start against Wolves, but there is training in between and other things, he has to stay fit, we have sessions. All this kind of stuff.

“But he has done enough to convince me, but he did that already months and years ago. Sometimes you have wait for the right moment and we thought the right moment came on Tuesday.”

quotes from klopp on liverpools website earlier today

nordlingen View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nordlingen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 3:59pm
Street Football .......???

A few of us landed in the local district court for the cause....twas late sixties...different times I suppose....LOL
Bucks2020 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks2020 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by howieb howieb wrote:

The coaching and facilities are a big factor but also kids need to enjoy the training and have a laugh . 
When I was young we would of spent hours every day playing in small carparks and greens doing tricks and trying to get past each other in tight area's. 
That's why players were more technical or skillful for Ireland years ago or why players are that way in eastern Europe now . 
It just frustrates me looking at what's coming through . Who has came through in the last 5 years for us that starts games ? 

In fairness, from listening to the FAI Webinar about grassroots football the most important part his making sure the kids enjoy the game because thats the only way they can be kept in the system.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 5:59pm
Starts, according to LiveScore.

Would wait for official confirmation though.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
trapscat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trapscat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 6:17pm
A

Edited by trapscat - 06 Dec 2020 at 6:23pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 6:18pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
trapscat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trapscat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 6:19pm
hopefully will get a run midweek 
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by trapscat trapscat wrote:

He’s starting tonight.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
trapscat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trapscat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by trapscat trapscat wrote:

He’s starting tonight.
Super sky must have it wrong on. Sorry
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 6:34pm
Starts tonight even though by Klopps comments it was odds on he was going to start it’s an even bigger vote of confidence to him. 
it’s the acid test that Klopp genuinely does see him as No.2 to Alisson. 

Hopefully he does the basics tonight now and all goes well for him. So great to see an Irish lad starting for a top team like Liverpool again.

Edited by kevin100 - 06 Dec 2020 at 6:35pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 7:01pm
Massive positive from an ireland perspective, if he gets a few games for Liverpool does he then start for ireland ahead of Randolph who unlikely to play at all before March? 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 7:17pm
What is Allison's injury?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 171>
  Share Topic