You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CaoimhĂ­n Kelleher

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 171>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote howieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by howieb howieb wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

The players we had 20/30 years ago fitted in with how football was played in the premier league then.

Now the league has changed to a much more European feel - passing and possession, technical ability is key.

Countries like Spain and Germany have loads of coaching available at underage - not some players dad acting as coach.

Ireland and Scotland have not moved with the times.

England spent loads of money on their youth set up but it’s only recently they are getting the benefit from it.

Yes you hit the nail on the head . 
I support a small league 1 team in a small town England and have been over 
to see their facilities and coaching for kids. 
I have kids playing in a local team here in Ireland and no offense to the coaches that volunteer and do their best but we're a million miles away. 

Forgive my ignorance here but are you comparing a professional clubs underage set up in England with a local amateur club in Ireland?

That is very much up for debate, there is unbelievable work being done in regard to coaching in Ireland at local and elite level in underage football. The FAI for all their faults are doing a superb job in the coaching department. 

What I don't understand is that so many people whinge and moan about the so called poor standard or lack of coaching, but never volunteer or offer to help? 

What work is been done? As Zizu kilbane said Daddy's coaching in their free time is not going to work . These kids are set on the wrong path unless the FAI bring these fathers/mothers on coaching courses by ex professional players who've been there done it . 
We need to utilise these ex players and give proper coaching 
Sponsored Links

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 11:03pm

The players we had 20/30 years ago fitted in with how football was played in the premier league then.

Now the league has changed to a much more European feel - passing and possession, technical ability is key.

Countries like Spain and Germany have loads of coaching available at underage - not some players dad acting as coach.

England spent loads of money on their youth set up but it’s only recently they are getting the benefit from it.

I have kids playing in a local team here in Ireland and no offense to the coaches that volunteer and do their best but we're a million miles away. 

Forgive my ignorance here but are you comparing a professional clubs underage set up in England with a local amateur club in Ireland?

That is very much up for debate, there is unbelievable work being done in regard to coaching in Ireland at local and elite level in underage football. The FAI for all their faults are doing a superb job in the coaching department. 

What I don't understand is that so many people whinge and moan about the so called poor standard or lack of coaching, but never volunteer or offer to help? 

What work is been done? As Zizu kilbane said Daddy's coaching in their free time is not going to work . These kids are set on the wrong path unless the FAI bring these fathers/mothers on coaching courses by ex professional players who've been there done it . 

Niall O'Regan who runs the coach education department in the FAI has increased the amount of coaching courses available throughout the whole country tenfold in the last number of years.

Unbelievably, a whole host of FAI Tutors were doing coaching workshops on line throughout both lockdowns, again highlighting the great work being done.  

We now have an elite underage league in place and it's expanding next year in both the male and female game.

To coach/manage at that level you need at least a UEFA B Licence and the pathway begins at u13 level now, so kids as young as 12 are being coached 3/4 times a week by qualified coaches.

A lot of clubs around the South East Region are regularly block booking out PDP1/PDP 2 courses to get everyone involved with teams on these courses. My local club in Carlow had 8 on the first course at the start of the year, we've now installed a state of the art full sized astro and we have numerous UEFA A/B/C Licenced coaches taking various teams also.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
howieb View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote howieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 11:21pm

Niall O'Regan who runs the coach education department in the FAI has increased the amount of coaching courses available throughout the whole country tenfold in the last number of years.

Unbelievably, a whole host of FAI Tutors were doing coaching workshops on line throughout both lockdowns, again highlighting the great work being done.  

We now have an elite underage league in place and it's expanding next year in both the male and female game.

To coach/manage at that level you need at least a UEFA B Licence and the pathway begins at u13 level now, so kids as young as 12 are being coached 3/4 times a week by qualified coaches.

A lot of clubs around the South East Region are regularly block booking out PDP1/PDP 2 courses to get everyone involved with teams on these courses. My local club in Carlow had 8 on the first course at the start of the year, we've now installed a state of the art full sized astro and we have numerous UEFA A/B/C Licenced coaches taking various teams also.

Look that's my rant over but I don't see it down my way.
Yes I know these things take time and I hope these things come to fruition.
I attend all Ireland games and league of Ireland football so not knocking that but the development of footballers has been poor the last 10 years . 

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 12:29am
@Howieb,

I'm actually not disagreeing with you in a lot of what you said, I'm in full agreement that a hell of a lot more needs to be done in all aspects of football in this country from facilities to coaching to leadership/direction from the very top etc but I can only speak from the coaching side of things and I have seen major changes and a shift in attitude towards it in the last few years especially.

It could potentially another 5-10+ years for this to really bare fruit, but signs are good.

My advice to you would as you're a footballing man, even go and do a couple of badges and give your local club a dig out. You would be surprised the impact you could have by evening giving up an hour or two a week, it'll also be one of the most rewarding things you ever do Thumbs Up
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
howieb View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote howieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 12:44am

@Howieb,

I'm actually not disagreeing with you in a lot of what you said, I'm in full agreement that a hell of a lot more needs to be done in all aspects of football in this country from facilities to coaching to leadership/direction from the very top etc but I can only speak from the coaching side of things and I have seen major changes and a shift in attitude towards it in the last few years especially.

It could potentially another 5-10+ years for this to really bare fruit, but signs are good.

My advice to you would as you're a footballing man, even go and do a couple of badges and give your local club a dig out. You would be surprised the impact you could have by evening giving up an hour or two a week, it'll also be one of the most rewarding things you ever do Thumbs Up

Thanks, apologies for having a go . It's my love of football that has me frustrated Smile
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 8:15am
Originally posted by Neil Armstrong Neil Armstrong wrote:

How much do ye think Caoimhin is on per week lads? Salary?

He's on 15k a week.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 8:40am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Neil Armstrong Neil Armstrong wrote:

How much do ye think Caoimhin is on per week lads? Salary?

He's on 15k a week.

Nice. But at the same time, not unexpected. If he plays another few and plays well he should double his money. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 8:47am
Hope he plays again this weekend and can kick on. I am a serious doubter but hopefully he can prove me wrong. 
Here we go again
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 9:51am
I'd be surprised if he does play, hopefully he does though.

Adrian played very well last year for Alisson, apart from the CL QF.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 10:27am
Klopp more or less said he would play didn’t he?
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 10:41am

Am I imagining it or was Adrian not absolutely dirt last year? Maybe I'm holding the Atletico game against him. 
El Puto Amo
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 10:46am
Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

Hope he plays again this weekend and can kick on. I am a serious doubter but hopefully he can prove me wrong. 

Just curious why are you a doubter?? Think he can be a decent keeper myself his distribution is scary good although I think Bazunu has a potentially much higher ceiling.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 10:54am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Am I imagining it or was Adrian not absolutely dirt last year? Maybe I'm holding the Atletico game against him. 

He played the 1st 15 games and were unbeaten and he was very good.

He did have a few howlers towards the end of the season, with the Athletic game being the more high profile one.

I just think Klopp will go with the experience of Adrian for the Wolves game.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 10:58am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

Just curious why are you a doubter?? Think he can be a decent keeper myself his distribution is scary good although I think Bazunu has a potentially much higher ceiling.
Why has he the higher ceiling? Sure they are the same height!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 11:04am
Originally posted by avfc avfc wrote:

I have suggested scrapping goals for underage games 12 and under. Game should be 1 point for every 20 passes completed. Backward passes don't count. 

So basically make actual matches like a training session. Won't be long before kids get bored of it. It's not the attitude of kids that need to change but of the coaches and parents at that level. Kids are naturally competitive. Doesn't matter if it's an U10s match or a kick about with their mates. They want to score a goal and win the game, not make X number of passes for a measly point, that's training ground stuff, and even boring training ground stuff at that. 

It's the coaches and parents who feel the need that winning at all cost, no matter the age groups is the issue, shouldn't make the kids suffer for that and that's what will happen if the scenario above was adopted. Even in the games now where results don't matter the kids will still show a competitive side because they wanna win, not forced to make 20 passes because they must.

The lack of contact hours is a major negative in this country. Barry Maguire mentioned it on a LOI podcast while at Limerick that he trained more hours a week back in Holland at U10s than most 16 year olds in Ireland. That's what needs to change in this country first and foremost is the amount of contact hours kids have with coaches. Was torture trying to get parents to agree to a third night of training with our team. And it wasn't even a proper training night, was a futsal night once a week with the local FAI development officers. 

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 11:38am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

I have suggested scrapping goals for underage games 12 and under. Game should be 1 point for every 20 passes completed. Backward passes don't count. 

So basically make actual matches like a training session. Won't be long before kids get bored of it. It's not the attitude of kids that need to change but of the coaches and parents at that level. Kids are naturally competitive. Doesn't matter if it's an U10s match or a kick about with their mates. They want to score a goal and win the game, not make X number of passes for a measly point, that's training ground stuff, and even boring training ground stuff at that. 

It's the coaches and parents who feel the need that winning at all cost, no matter the age groups is the issue, shouldn't make the kids suffer for that and that's what will happen if the scenario above was adopted. Even in the games now where results don't matter the kids will still show a competitive side because they wanna win, not forced to make 20 passes because they must.

The lack of contact hours is a major negative in this country. Barry Maguire mentioned it on a LOI podcast while at Limerick that he trained more hours a week back in Holland at U10s than most 16 year olds in Ireland. That's what needs to change in this country first and foremost is the amount of contact hours kids have with coaches. Was torture trying to get parents to agree to a third night of training with our team. And it wasn't even a proper training night, was a futsal night once a week with the local FAI development officers. 

How much has street football declined in this country?

It's sort of difficult to gauge this because where I grew up there were a lot of kids and we'd be out kicking ball all the time, the street was where you learned your skills

Where I live now doesn't have any kids

But even in the newer estates where there are kids, the impression I get is that there's much less street football

I wonder what the situation in, say South American countries is in this regard compared to Ireland
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 12:03pm

Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

He played the 1st 15 games and were unbeaten and he was very good.

He did have a few howlers towards the end of the season, with the Athletic game being the more high profile one.

I just think Klopp will go with the experience of Adrian for the Wolves game.

I'd be shocked if he did HB. That was a big game to put Kelleher in the other night so see no reason why he wouldn't put him in against Wolves. Played well, deserves the next game. Adrian's decent but not good with the ball at his feet. Would've thought the other night put Kelleher as clear number 2?
Some people just deserve a slap
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

How much has street football declined in this country?

It's sort of difficult to gauge this because where I grew up there were a lot of kids and we'd be out kicking ball all the time, the street was where you learned your skills

Where I live now doesn't have any kids

But even in the newer estates where there are kids, the impression I get is that there's much less street football

I wonder what the situation in, say South American countries is in this regard compared to Ireland

Massive decline. Council estate where I live you don't see anyone playing street football anymore. Similar with lads having a kick about in schools. We'd a small school hall, ceiling was only ten foot high and had to turn benches on their sides for goals but that was our world cup in school. The school now doesn't want any sports played outside of school matches incase they get sued.

Was one of the reasons our local development officers wanted to get kids playing in a local futsal league. To make up for the lack of street football that kids weren't playing at home or kids not playing on the school yard whether on break or PE.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 171>
  Share Topic