You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Our lowest moment?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Poll Question: What's been our lowest moment in international football?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [14.08%]
9 [6.34%]
18 [12.68%]
74 [52.11%]
2 [1.41%]
2 [1.41%]
17 [11.97%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

For me late 2012 felt the worst. Hammered and humiliated by Germany in Dublin on the back of a dreadful Euros. Limping past Kazachstan and being level at half time with the Faroes didn't help matters either.

Most people usually say 2006-2007 but I think 2012 was the worst. At least in 06-07 we were a team underperforming and there was potential. In 2012 I felt that we were actually performing at our level and I couldn't see things changing any time soon.

@willmcc83
How about being level with Lichtenstein at full time?

Edited by irishmufc - 29 Mar 2018 at 8:53pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

schillaci View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
I love Scott HULK Hogan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote schillaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 9:47pm
Skopje for me was the ultimate sickener. 
The last minute goal in Israel for WC 2006 was a particular low too. That cost us 2nd spot. That and the 2 goal lead we gave up in the home game against Israel meant we came 4th in a group we should have won.  France topped the group and drew 5 games !!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by schillaci schillaci wrote:

The last minute goal in Israel for WC 2006 was a particular low too. That cost us 2nd spot. That and the 2 goal lead we gave up in the home game against Israel meant we came 4th in a group we should have won.  France topped the group and drew 5 games !!

Tbh we never really looked like a side that would see out a win against France/Switzerland (even if O'Shea scored in Paris) The leads lost to Israel were more avoidable but under Kerr (like Trap) we never looked like beating anyone of any significance or topping our group despite Kerr winning a few friendlies.

Edited by irishmufc - 29 Mar 2018 at 10:56pm
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 11:19pm
There are some massive overreactions here, this instant social media age is a pain in the hole. If we lose to France in Paris in a friendly, there will be lads on here telling us that this (May 28th or the day after we lose to them) is the lowest they have ever felt etc etc. Complete bollix. 

The clown who said he would prefer us not qualifying for the Euros in 2012 wasn't waiting 10 years between going to tournaments anyway. Another one of the entitlement generation, if he has to wait until 2026 for our next tournament, he'll be supporting rugby long before that. 

Looking back from a bit of distance, we had the perfect ingredients for everything to go wrong, which it did- a very difficult draw, a squad that had peaked 2 years earlier, an injured goalkeeper past his best, a manager who was past his sell by date and either didn't recognise the deterioration or did nothing to try reverse it, the players starting to lose belief in the manager, which manifested itself in the campaign afterwards, and even smaller issues like the hotels have cropped up among retired squad members. Still, as bad as it was, it beats watching other countries on TV like we will all be doing this year. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 11:29pm
Quoting on the phone but copyright belongs to Deise with this cracking quote:

The clown who said he would prefer us not qualifying for the Euros in 2012 wasn't waiting 10 years between going to tournaments anyway. Another one of the entitlement generation, if he has to wait until 2026 for our next tournament, he'll be supporting rugby long before that.

Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 8:52am
I don't understand the constant snobbery towards the rugby. I follow both but football will always come 1st. At least we are a world class team in one sport.

I think 2009 was a particularly low point having completely let the reigns off and outplayed France in their own back yard to having World Cup qualification snatched away by a deliberate double handball!

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 30 Mar 2018 at 8:52am
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

Originally posted by John Wick John Wick wrote:

I'd rather not get to a tournament... playing 3 games scoring 1 and conceding 9. No thanks.
That set us back no end. Even Richard Dunne said after that has was total disillusioned and wondered about playing international football every again.

Bizarre comment Confused

I'm guessing your forum name is cockney rhyming slang.........
100%
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 9:21am

Rugby is taking over....I know in my neck of the woods all the kids are opting for rugby over soccer. Hard to blame them I suppose.

Rugby Union playing numbers are dropping. Very few actually play the sport. Tag rugby numbers boost the figure that's already small.

In rugby heartlands such as South Dublin soccer and gaa numbers are growing big time but rugby is not.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 10:21am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Tbh we never really looked like a side that would see out a win against France/Switzerland (even if O'Shea scored in Paris) The leads lost to Israel were more avoidable but under Kerr (like Trap) we never looked like beating anyone of any significance or topping our group despite Kerr winning a few friendlies.

Don't agree with you at all there. I stated on this thread before that the Switzerland match in 2005 was my lowest point supporting Ireland. France were there for the taking in Oct 2004. We were the better side that night and should have won. O'Shea's chance that went wide was in injury time or final few minutes. Very close to the end. Away to the Swiss we were hanging on but at home, they didn't threaten at all. The problem was that we didn't either. 

That was a good Ireland team, I don't think France were better than us in the group, apart from Henry's great goal, and they got to the World Cup final. We should have won the group. Those 4 lost points against Israel killed us. A draw against Switzerland would have been enough with those points.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 10:23am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Don't agree with you at all there. I stated on this thread before that the Switzerland match in 2005 was my lowest point supporting Ireland. France were there for the taking in Oct 2004. We were the better side that night and should have won. O'Shea's chance that went wide was in injury time or final few minutes. Very close to the end. Away to the Swiss we were hanging on but at home, they didn't threaten at all. The problem was that we didn't either. 

That was a good Ireland team, I don't think France were better than us in the group, apart from Henry's great goal, and they got to the World Cup final. We should have won the group. Those 4 lost points against Israel killed us. A draw against Switzerland would have been enough with those points.

Agree, we would love to have that team now, even though they underachieved.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 10:38am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Agree, we would love to have that team now, even though they underachieved.
I think the most disappointing thing about that night was deep down I knew we wouldn't beat the Swiss and I think the Swiss felt it too.
I agree that we would love that team now.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 11:20am
From memory, I think this was our team back then. Might be wrong with one or two of these.

Given

Finnan, O'Shea, Dunne, Harte

Duff, Roy Keane, Reid, Kilbane,

Robbie Keane, Morrison

Also had Carsley, Kiely, Kavanagh, Elliot, Holland, Cunningham, Miller
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 11:33am
The 5-2 loss to the Cypriots was as bad as you can get .
Always remember St Tom after the last game there when we won 2-1 saying " at last we beat them and I never want to come back to this S*ithole again " he was talking about Nicosia LOL Classic Tom .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 2:18pm
Wembley 1991 - Houghton's miss & Lineker's goal in Poland...team was at it's pinnacle would have come close to winning the EC in 1992.

Still to this day don't know how we threw away that lead in Poland hammered Turkey away in the last match...BBC's favourite son stole the show and ended up going out quietly into retirement at that championship.

What was it all for Gary?Angry

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 3:57pm
Has to be  Skopje, 12 seconds away from qualifying for Euro 2000 for me particuarly the cruel lateness of that goal.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 4:04pm

I'd rather not get to a tournament... playing 3 games scoring 1 and conceding 9. No thanks.
That set us back no end. Even Richard Dunne said after that has was total disillusioned and wondered about playing international football every again.

I remember a Scottish fan posting something similar on TAMB during the tournament - I nearly fell off my chair laughing - mind you I was in Poznań at the time
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Has to be  Skopje, 12 seconds away from qualifying for Euro 2000 for me particuarly the cruel lateness of that goal.

If he had of just tracked back for that corner.Cry
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 4:25pm
It's the current position for me.

I haven't been this disheartened about things before than I am now. The Skopje last minute was a horrible blow but not as bad as the immediate aftermath as last November. After missing out in qualifying from the group, In '99 we had a playoff to look towards and even after that we had +ves with a lot a young talented group of players with the trend going upwards.

Now it's just s**t with the Stoke stuff, the belligerence of the manager in general, the draw for the Narions league and squad that lacks any top quality players. We all know it's a campaign too many for the managements team but Delaney would rather not take a risk.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic