You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Our lowest moment?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Poll Question: What's been our lowest moment in international football?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [14.08%]
9 [6.34%]
18 [12.68%]
74 [52.11%]
2 [1.41%]
2 [1.41%]
17 [11.97%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 11:37pm
Cyprus was terrible but we produced a huge turnaround to be unlucky not to beat a good Czech Republic team days later. We actually recovered pretty well from it (results wise, not performance wise - see San Marino (A)) and it was the late goal we conceded against Slovakia which was the killer in that campaign.

Tuesday, considering what was on the line, the fact that we were at home, the hope that was generated from Wales away, the amazing atmosphere before the game, and the fact that we have to sit on it for over a year - the tactical suicide and utter capitulation that followed was the hardest to take that I can remember.
Sponsored Links

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Originally posted by stokeirish stokeirish wrote:

Have to with the majority here, the Cyprus game

Cyprus was our worst performance in a qualifier in the last 20 years or so and a complete shambles. Could anyone say it was a devastating setback though? In terms of the group, it was no different to a 1-0 defeat.

The only thing it told us was that Staunton was a hopeless and inept manager and not up to the job.

Given how people defend Kerr's tenure as Eire manager, by that yardstick, Staunton wasn't that bad. 

The performances away to Cyprus and San Marino were muck alright, but he followed that up with good home wins over Wales and Slovakia, then was very unlucky not to beat Slovakia away, had to deal with the Stephen Ireland nonsense, went down unluckily away to the Czech Republic with ten men, and got a decent draw with Germany. 

So there was a clear upward curve. And Eire still got third in the group - which Kerr couldn't manage.

It was the Cyprus home draw that did for Staunton. And Cyprus weren't that bad. They'd just beaten Wales 3-1.
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 11:52pm
Staunton's pre-match analysis of San Marino would've been a low point if it wasn't so hilarious. He actually said "Well they conceded 13 against the Germans and then 7 against the Czechs, so they're tightening up at the back".
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
raclle View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

I love points

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raclle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by stokeirish stokeirish wrote:

Have to with the majority here, the Cyprus game

Cyprus was our worst performance in a qualifier in the last 20 years or so and a complete shambles. Could anyone say it was a devastating setback though? In terms of the group, it was no different to a 1-0 defeat.

The only thing it told us was that Staunton was a hopeless and inept manager and not up to the job.

Given how people defend Kerr's tenure as Eire manager, by that yardstick, Staunton wasn't that bad. 

The performances away to Cyprus and San Marino were muck alright, but he followed that up with good home wins over Wales and Slovakia, then was very unlucky not to beat Slovakia away, had to deal with the Stephen Ireland nonsense, went down unluckily away to the Czech Republic with ten men, and got a decent draw with Germany. 

So there was a clear upward curve. And Eire still got third in the group - which Kerr couldn't manage.

It was the Cyprus home draw that did for Staunton. And Cyprus weren't that bad. They'd just beaten Wales 3-1.
They also drew with Germany at home.

We might have been unlucky conceding 2 late goals against Wales and Slovakia but we scored a few late late ones against Cyprus and San Marino to save further embarrassment.
George Zip View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Zip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 11:56pm
The home qualifier v Switzerland for the 2004 Euros was pretty crap. Post Saipan, 2-1 defeat and some of the crowd turned on Mick. Was on the South bucket seats and honestly thought there was going to be a digging match between Ireland fans.
One mullet headed gentleman decides to get a “we want Roy” chant going and others around him shout him down with “He’s f**king injured”, got pretty heated.
"Tell them to get out there and give it all they got and win just one for the Zipper. I don't know where I'll be then, Doc," he said, "but I won't smell too good, that's for sure."
raclle View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

I love points

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raclle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

The lowest I have felt is when I have struggled to have pride in the team. Cyrus was like that. San Marino was like that.
I was the exact same around that time. We were out of the running with about 4 games to go and couldn't really stomach watching the rest of the campaign.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 12:46am
Originally posted by Trapped Trapped wrote:

Staunton's pre-match analysis of San Marino would've been a low point if it wasn't so hilarious. He actually said "Well they conceded 13 against the Germans and then 7 against the Czechs, so they're tightening up at the back".

One of my biggest problems with Staunton is that he was far from an inspirational figure. He was a charisma free zone and not exactly a likeable manager. You can get away with that if you're winning matches but not if you're losing.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 1:13am
Dudu Aouate
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 1:34am
Worst I felt was after the defeat to Holland in 88 closely followed by lose to Italy in Rome in 1990. Liechtenstein 0_0 away was another low.1-0 Defeat away to Norway in 1984 was a f**ker.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 1:41am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Brussels 81.

If I ever met Eric Gerets Id pull his beard off.

Sofia 77 too fcuking cheating refs.

Raul Nazare was 100% responsible for 81.  He took the bribe.  UEFA did the Belgians retrospectively ten years on when caught bribing as Anderlecht.

Not arguing re Sofia 77 but remember France were done there in that campaign as well.  Although Stapleton's disallowed goal in Paris also probably cost us a point.  this is not to be confused with Robinson's disallowed goal four years later which also cost us a point.  

Our lowest point was Cyprus.  Skopje 99 felt worse though as we threw it away against a weak side.  
Forest lost 3-0 away to Anderlecht in the SF of the eufa cup in 84 have won first leg 2-0. Forest refused a blatant pen and had 2 goals mysteriously disallowed. As has been said, there were very strange decisions going in favour of the home teams in Belgium in the early eighties.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
schillaci View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
I love Scott HULK Hogan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schillaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 1:57am
Failure to make it to Germany in 2006 was a sickener. We blew it against the Swiss, but even worse was throwing away the lead in both games against Israel, the ****s.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 2:44am
Cyprus game tops the list...Gaining a last second draw against them was little better...Really felt like this was the level we were going to stay at for a long time
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 8:19am
Too young to remember 81 - broken hearted v Dutch in '88 as a youngster.
 Gary Lineker's late goal away to Poland in '92 Euro qualification group was a sickener.

Lowest I felt was standing on the Kop in 1995 it was the end of an era as we said our goodbyes.

The talent is just not there compared to yesteryear - the Thatcherite/Murdoch driven Premier League hasn't helped our cause either - same sh*t different season.

greenscene View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenscene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 9:08am
Skopje for me. It broke me. Such a good side and such a difficult group. There for the taking, just clear a corner. Made the worse by losing in the playoffs.
WWW.GREENSCENE.ME
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

Too young to remember 81 - broken hearted v Dutch in '88 as a youngster.
 Gary Lineker's late goal away to Poland in '92 Euro qualification group was a sickener.

Lowest I felt was standing on the Kop in 1995 it was the end of an era as we said our goodbyes.

The talent is just not there compared to yesteryear - the Thatcherite/Murdoch driven Premier League hasn't helped our cause either - same sh*t different season.

The two of those came very close to making the poll list.92 especially, because that was probably the best team we ever had and we could have had a genuine dark horse chance of winning Euro 92. It didn't because we had so many good players then and big Jack for another three years,so while it was very disappointing we were still in such good shape then as a team and had world cup 94 just around the corner. By 94 though, we weren't quite the team we were in 92.

The other two for me would be missing out world cup 98 in such a close playoff to Belgium and the 1965 playoff, with the FAI selling out to change the venue from Wembley to Paris and us missing out on a once in a lifetime chance of being at a world cup next door, but it was so long ago would anyone on the forum remember it as a low?
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 10:56am
For me it's not about how we did in tournaments (2012) or individual matches (Cyprus) but failure to qualify for tournaments we SHOULD have made.

Especially the world cups - it generates such a good feeling and the excitement leading up to a tournament is like Xmas eve that lasts for months.

France in 2009 was the lowest for me as I was there and we should have won that night.

1874eire View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1874eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by bundy bundy wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

2005 against Switzerland. Felt terrible, we were gutless that night. Had a row with my now wife that night because I had go at some chap walking out of the ground because he was laughing.

I actually think I felt worse after the Swiss game than I did the other night. I was convinced 1 goal was going to come from somewhere, anywhere, that night and it didn't.

I always felt Kerr got a raw deal in the Irish job and if I remember correctly he was gone a few days after that game. We were beaten once in that campaign and I thought we performed well overall but threw away qualification against Israel home and away.

When you look at who replaced Kerr, the decision to sack him looks rash and misguided. He would at least have given qualification for Euro 2008 a good shot.

You have to look at the decision in its own right. We were two wins away from topping the group in euro 04 qualifiers with a strong squad with a home game v Russia and away game v the Swiss to finish and got a point. Next campaign we blew a goal lead and a two goal lead home and away to Israel to get two points when six would have ended up qualifying us. We lost at home to France, waxed a one nil away to Cyprus and had a miserable draw at home to the Swiss again to finish fourth when we had a great chance to top the group. I'd far sooner have seen Kerr remain in charge than see Stan get it but I wanted him gone after the campaign. Some of the football under him was poison. If anything, it shows how rash it was letting elements of a pro Man u crowd and media force McCarthy out was.

Agree there, Brian Kerr seems be held up as kind of a god of Irish football by elements of the media in recent years and while his achievements at underage level were marvellous his tenure in charge of the senior team was a waste of two campaigns in my opinion. The Euro 2004 qualification campaign must go down as one of the biggest opportunities wasted in Irish football. Have we ever been first seeds in a group before? The performance against the Swiss in the last game was so bad that it was probably a mistake to keep Kerr on even then. The style of football played under Kerr was horrendous also, as bad at times as anything we did under Trapp or O'Neill.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 11:17am
Paris was heart wrenching more so because as fans in stadium we had no idea what happened and it wasn't until next mornings papers did we see what actually happened.

Israel games we thew away and the f**k which is Dudu
Aouate and his time wasting.

Last Tuesday I'm still trying to get my head around what tactically were we at
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic