You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drumcondra 69er's "A False First XI" Blogs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bananarepublic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 4:13pm
Very good. The point about us having 6 premier league players to the Welsh 3 is startling. Didn't realise that.
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 4:31pm
It is a fairly irrelevant statistic though, especially when a lot of those six are incredibly poor. Who would you rather have in your midfield, for example: Joe Allen of the Championship or Arter or Cyrus of the EPL?

Decent piece, as usual. Randolph should have saved three of the five goals conceded against Wales. It is yet another position we are struggling in.
I wonder if Eliot or Westwood had been number one for Ireland and playing well, would they have got a move easier?
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 4:38pm
good read but the 'Poznan wallpaper ' is annoying now, and can be hard to hide at work...
Come on Irelind
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by mandrake mandrake wrote:

good read but the 'Poznan wallpaper ' is annoying now, and can be hard to hide at work...

Point taken, it could do with an overhaul.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It is a fairly irrelevant statistic though, especially when a lot of those six are incredibly poor. Who would you rather have in your midfield, for example: Joe Allen of the Championship or Arter or Cyrus of the EPL?

Decent piece, as usual. Randolph should have saved three of the five goals conceded against Wales. It is yet another position we are struggling in.
I wonder if Eliot or Westwood had been number one for Ireland and playing well, would they have got a move easier?

I get what you're saying but I do feel it's relevant in the context of the consistent talking down of our players by the manager. You'd swear we've been playing world-beaters with the narrative he peddles. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 6:54pm
We overplay our lot too much on here though. Often our best players are from Championship or otherwise. I'd start Williams over Hendrick and Arter. I would start Stevens over Ward.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

We overplay our lot too much on here though. Often our best players are from Championship or otherwise. I'd start Williams over Hendrick and Arter. I would start Stevens over Ward.

Come on, Ward has been excellent in the Premier League for Burnley in recent years and has been hugely improved for Ireland in recent years. He's well ahead of Stevens at this point in time. And Shaun Williams is nowhere near the level of Atter or Hendrick. 

Neither Stevens or Williams have done anything to prove that they'd step up in a competitive situation yet given the clusterfcuk of our tactical approach. A gift of a goal when the game was over against Wales for Williams doesn't change that. He'ss a 31-year-old journeyman who had one season of Championship football behind him in the middle of mostly tier games until last season. I would have played him ahead of Cyrus Christie alright given that he's actually a midfielder.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 8:20pm
Arter is dreadful, a complete liability and a red card waiting to happen. I agree on Ward, I think his time is up though.
I wouldn't even bother with Hendrick.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 1:31pm
Bit of Sunday reading reflecting on last Thursday's debacle for anyone interested.

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 6:57am
Jezzz so much truth Drums in what you wrote but it was very hard to read as we all know it's so true .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 9:49pm
https://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.com/2018/11/a-tale-of-three-irelands.html

Really couldn't have been arsed writing about that sh1tshow last night but had a few thoughts on how things may or may not have developed had there never been an IFA / FAI split back in the 20s...
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Really couldn't have been arsed writing about that sh1tshow last night but had a few thoughts on how things may or may not have developed had there never been an IFA / FAI split back in the 20s...

Great read D69 Thumbs Up
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
forza trapp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forza trapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 11:07pm
Excellent read, both The Irish Soccer Split and Green Shoots are well worth reading. I was at both Ireland games in Lansdowne last week and the contrast is depressing .
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 12:04am

The last paragraph is a fantastic summary of what it is.

The fact that the situation is almost unique in sports borders on the scandalous.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:37pm
Few thoughts on the current vacancies in Irish football.....

Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:43pm

Just seeing this now. Excellent read. There is a lot of ignorance on why there are two national sides on the island but all Ireland sports like rugby, hockey, cricket etc. As you say not a desire for nationhood but a petty squabble!! There is a book on the split.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 7:10pm
https://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.com/2019/03/gone-with-wind.html

Blog on the Gibraltar trip, match and FAI shenanigans for anyone interested. 

Couldn't finish yesterday due to other commitments so slightly out of date...

Will have more positive Georgia blog tomorrow!

ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 7:24pm
Enjoyed that read well done really well put together. As for (Jeff) Hendricks Bar I was a bit like you. Tried drink as I used to and paid for it Sunday but still made it up to the Rock and Monkeys. Overall good trip been on better been on worse.
Well done again
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic