Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drumcondra 69er's "A False First XI" Blogs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 8:57am
Some good readsThumbs Up
Sponsored Links

Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 8:58am
Another great read as always
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 12:51pm
Good man. Always enjoy reading these articles
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 7:39pm
Good stuff
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 11:06pm
Lads, any of you that read the blog know that it's generally a fans eye view sort of thing and namechecks people from on here and other characters I've been going away with for years. It started out as a Facebook thing that was just meant for friends before people suggested I throw it out in general. 

I've thought about doing a second version that's less personalised and edited a lot tighter to see if anyone might pick up on them in future. Much as it might pain everyone to relive Tuesday again, I did an edited version earlier in the week, any constructive feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers.

No Mercy From Christian And The Lord

Scripture taught us that Christians are supposed to show mercy. But there was none to be found on this damp November Tuesday evening. And by the time the Lord dealt the final blow, it was numbness rather than pain that we felt.

The only charity on offer came in the form of the space offered to Danish playmaker, Christian Eriksen, by Martin O'Neill's tactics and the Irish players.

Mirroring the campaign, the evening itself started positively. The misty air was crackling with atmosphere, as what would be a full house made their way from homes and workplaces to fill the lounges and bars around Lansdowne Road. On nearby Haddington Road, the Beggars Bush was packed to the gills, with many punters carrying the new two pint plastic glass being served rather than fighting back through the scrum at the bar for seconds.

As kick-off approached, it was hard not to believe. We'd a habit of getting results when the chips were down. We had Germany. We had Bosnia. We had Italy and Wales. Surely this squad had one more do or die result in them.

Inside, a pipers band played Amhrán na bhFiann and the camera panned along the men our hopes depended on. James McClean, the hero of Cardiff, roared with passion as the anthem reached its crescendo. The crowd did the same. It felt a special night.

Six minutes after kick off and things move up another level. A lofted free kick from Brady isn’t cleared and Shane Duffy, a man who literally almost died for the shirt seven years ago after a training collision ruptured his liver, rises to head the ball past a stranded Schmeichel. Could the ultimate redemptive journey from life-saving surgery to sending his country to a World Cup be complete?

Alas, no. If there’s one thing we’ve learned from this campaign, it’s that Ireland don’t do early goals well. A chance for Murphy hit the side netting as half the stadium rose to acclaim a second goal. Another for McClean rolled agonisingly wide as Ireland sought that elusive buffer. Then a mistake from Arter, a Danish mish*t that squirms onto the post and rebounds off Christie. One all and a vital away goal conceded.

We’re still coming to terms with this when Ward cedes possession and two swift passes later, Eriksen caresses it into the net. Three minutes of madness and the game turned on its head.

With two goals required, it looked an impossible task for a team that can’t be described as prolific. The half-time decision by the management to replace our entire central midfield with Hoolahan and McGeady was as baffling to us as it was manna from heaven for the Danes. With the space that had been denied to him in Denmark, now all too available, the Aviva pitch became a canvas for Eriksen to decorate.

And decorate it he did, two superb strikes completing his hat-trick as Ireland’s shape disintegrated. By the time Danish cult hero, Nicklas “Lord” Bendtner entered the fray with six minutes to go, the stadium was half empty and the humiliation almost complete. All we wanted was the final whistle. All the Danes wanted was for their Lord to apply the final flourish. You can guess who got their wish.   

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 19 Nov 2017 at 12:29pm
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 11:15pm
Personally love to read it name checking some of folk on here. Having missed the last few aways it's great to read and imagine being there. Can imagine you in your bucket hat with a biro and notepad taking notes.
Keep em up 👍🏻
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 10:30am
Originally posted by deco911 deco911 wrote:

Personally love to read it name checking some of folk on here. Having missed the last few aways it's great to read and imagine being there. Can imagine you in your bucket hat with a biro and notepad taking notes.
Keep em up 👍🏻

Ha! Cheers mate. No note taking required these days, thank God for the rte player and minute by minute reports. I actually spend most games swearing and chewing my nails...
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Keep em up 👍🏻

Ha! Cheers mate. No note taking required these days, thank God for the rte player and minute by minute reports. I actually spend most games swearing and chewing my nails...

Think he is talking about in the pub drinking with the lads. There is no minute by minute for.that on rte :)
AKA pedantic kunt
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Keep em up 👍🏻

Think he is talking about in the pub drinking with the lads. There is no minute by minute for.that on rte :)

I'm actually blessed with a decent memory for that sort of sh1te despite having a drop of drink taken!
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 10:52am
Good read that...... painful reminder of the tactics that night but all true.

stokeirish View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stokeirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 12:59pm
Must have been a challenge writing about this game. Good read 👍
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 5:27pm
Few thoughts on the Nations League and Arter / Rice situation if anyone's interested.

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 5:33pm

Few thoughts on the Nations League and Arter / Rice situation if anyone's interested.

Fair analysis.  I would have preferred more of a character assassination on MON though.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 4:08pm
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 6:32pm
Right you got it right Drums .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 10:27pm
https://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.com/2018/10/not-quite-another-ryans-slaughter.html

Latest thoughts on Tuesday for anyone who cares at this stage.....
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 12:46pm
Yer good one Drums but puts me back to down again after reading it as it's all so true .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Yer good one Drums but puts me back to down again after reading it as it's all so true .

Didn't enjoy writing it. Trying to motivate myself to write one about O'Neill and the last 12 months in general but don't want to p1ss myself off further....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic