Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Denmark match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 42434445>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

While we're on the subject of Robbie Brady... Take the number 10 jersey off him.

The numbers in general are a joke.
Go back to 1-11 please.

Sponsored Links

Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 4:49pm
Remember one stage during the first half when Randolph had caught the ball. Brady was in acres of space on the left hand side with no one around him. We were 2-1 down. A quick goal before half-time would have changed the whole mood.

He just stood there, looking everywhere but at Randolph. He should have went looking for the ball or at least signified he was open for a pass. No desire for either. It was embarrassing and more or less summed up his campaign.
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 4:51pm
"We havent the players"

They aren't top class but most of the team play in supposedly the "best league in the world". They aren't playing for Accrington Stanley or the Lincoln Red Imps ffs.

The way we talk aboit their ability you would swear we are putting out 11 paraplegics on the pitch.

If they were that bad they wouldnt have made it as pro footballers. If they are indeed that bad maybe I was robbed of a living and should write to a few clubs because I can pass it to a teammate.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Anyone on here in AA 19-21 last night
Some gobsh*te seat Nazi who then f**ks off to pub after third goal

Bhob?
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Neil Armstrong Neil Armstrong wrote:

Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Anyone on here in AA 19-21 last night
Some gobsh*te seat Nazi who then f**ks off to pub after third goal

Bhob?

This was a gas incident. Myself and Gerk were standing in our spot for the 1st half and 2nd half. 10 mins after the 2nd half starts this lad comes in demanding his seat. Makes a big hullabaloo over it. He ended up standing beside us. When we went 3-1 down he was on the phone to his mate and I overheard the call. "We will meet you in the pub near the pizzeria" and subsequently he and his mate left after 70 mins.

Top top supporters
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

"We havent the players"

They aren't top class but most of the team play in supposedly the "best league in the world". They aren't playing for Accrington Stanley or the Lincoln Red Imps ffs.

The way we talk aboit their ability you would swear we are putting out 11 paraplegics on the pitch.

If they were that bad they wouldnt have made it as pro footballers. If they are indeed that bad maybe I was robbed of a living and should write to a few clubs because I can pass it to a teammate.
You do realise that Stanley are a full-time club, punching above their weight in League 2. You can make it as a pro footballer and play for them and many clubs below them.

This obsession with 'they must be good, they play for Burnley' is bollocks and completely undermines the fact that firstly,  it is a team game and, secondly ow many of them are starters or key players either? We are largely devoid of decent technical players, our best hope, we are told, in this regard is pinned on a 35 year-old who continually coughed up possession last night. It isn't just that we don't have good players, we don't have the type of player needed in key positions.
There is no doubt, for example, that we badly missed Coleman, one or two quality players can raise the performance, but even when Coleman was there we were severely lacking in midfield. I will say it again and again and again, but we need at least one decent 'box-to-box' style midfielder. Denmark have Delaney, Wales had Allen and most teams have at least one. A player that keeps the possession ticking over and presses the ball without possession. With the greatest of respect to David Meyler, who is our best hope at it, he is not of the quality required.

People keep saying that if you took Eriksen out of that team we would be the same level, man for man. Ignoring the team aspect and anything else, I would disagree. That Danish team is better without him and much better with him. If I was picking a combined eleven, as so many love doing on here, I would probably have at least 8 or 9 nine Danes in it, some of those are lads that can't even get in the Danish line-up!
 As I have said for a while, MON has just been papering over the cracks. When he has got it wrong, like last night and in Bordeaux, decent teams will take us apart because we are a very poor side.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

"We havent the players"

You do realise that Stanley are a full-time club, punching above their weight in League 2. You can make it as a pro footballer and play for them and many clubs below them.

This obsession with 'they must be good, they play for Burnley' is bollocks and completely undermines the fact that firstly,  it is a team game and, secondly ow many of them are starters or key players either? We are largely devoid of decent technical players, our best hope, we are told, in this regard is pinned on a 35 year-old who continually coughed up possession last night. It isn't just that we don't have good players, we don't have the type of player needed in key positions.
There is no doubt, for example, that we badly missed Coleman, one or two quality players can raise the performance, but even when Coleman was there we were severely lacking in midfield. I will say it again and again and again, but we need at least one decent 'box-to-box' style midfielder. Denmark have Delaney, Wales had Allen and most teams have at least one. A player that keeps the possession ticking over and presses the ball without possession. With the greatest of respect to David Meyler, who is our best hope at it, he is not of the quality required.

People keep saying that if you took Eriksen out of that team we would be the same level, man for man. Ignoring the team aspect and anything else, I would disagree. That Danish team is better without him and much better with him. If I was picking a combined eleven, as so many love doing on here, I would probably have at least 8 or 9 nine Danes in it, some of those are lads that can't even get in the Danish line-up!
 As I have said for a while, MON has just been papering over the cracks. When he has got it wrong, like last night and in Bordeaux, decent teams will take us apart because we are a very poor side.

When he gets it wrong, he doesnt do it by half though. Last night and against Belgium, it resembled a professional boxer fighting a lad who had just been fcuked out of Coppers for being too pissed. He took off our midfield. Roy Keane in his prime wouldn't have done what was (presumably?) asked of Jeff Hendrick in that second half. It's just pure and absolute madness. He has also done the same against Georgia, Wales, and Serbia. We didnt ship 5 in those games because a) Georgia are poor in truth, and b) Wales and Serbia were happy to get out of Dublin with the status quo as it was at the time of their respective red cards.

There's a reason teams only use such tactics in the dying minutes of stoppage time. We did it for the full second half.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 8:16pm
Utterly baffled by what happened last night, that result/performance never entered the equation for me.

1) Martin O’Neill has got to come out and say that he and the management team got it wrong. Yes the players have to take some of the blame but the way they were set up from start to finish was just wrong. The players deserved better. As a fan, yeah it’s hard to take and it wasn’t a nice feeling sitting there last night watching it happening but I feel so sorry for the players.

2) Robbie Brady - how was he not taken off? He hasn’t got his head in the game at all and hasn’t put in any sort of a performance for us for quite some time. The Italy goal seems to have made him untouchable. Hendrick also, these two are meant to be the great white hope for us but they haven’t delivered. Now, I feel sorry for them because of the job they were given last night but I don’t buy into this “they’re out of position” bullsh*t. They’re professional footballers, show a bit of heart and a bit of fight at the very least.

3) The substitutions. Absolute mental stuff altogether and it looked like a complete meltdown was had by the management.

Last night was a shambles from start to finish and the luck of the Irish well and truly ran out. However, we’ve had similarly disappointing nights down through the years and we’re a resilient little bunch on this island so we’ll be back.

ybig

Edited by bundy - 15 Nov 2017 at 8:19pm
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 8:22pm
Feel sick. MON has given us some amazing results over the past few years but his attitude to Tony O'Donoghue in that interview stank and he needs to own that he got it badly wrong last night. And it's not new. He did the same thing against Georgia away we had no midfield in the end there either. Pathetic stuff.

Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 8:53pm
Brian Kerr making the very good point on OTB that Denmark could already have equalised a couple of times before the two chances fell to Murphy and McClean, so even when Ireland were playing 'well', we were very open and making mistakes. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Brian Kerr making the very good point on OTB that Denmark could already have equalised a couple of times before the two chances fell to Murphy and McClean, so even when Ireland were playing 'well', we were very open and making mistakes. 

Exactly I do question some people's reading of the game as I have seen it heard we sat back after the goal or we were too defensive again.

That game last night was way too open for us and we paid for price. At 1-0 we still were open and played a game of who can finish better by giving up and creating 2 or 3 chances. There was only going to be one winner in that game. I think when we went one nil up he should have moved to a 4-5-1 with meyler after and Hendrick as the three and Brady and McClean as the wide players. Sit in for a few minutes and ride it out. We didn't and we were wide open and then the goals came due to bad organisation and mistakes by arter Christie and Ward. The team panics the management team panics and fall apart game over and we are out.   But we were set up wrong from thr start. Didn't make sense.
TonyDenmark View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyDenmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 11:10pm
I have been following this forum from the day we drew Ireland. I also knew it would be extremely difficult to open up the Irish defence. Happily for us we had a goal from a standard situation and from a wellplayed counter attack last night. I do believe our national team has a huge potential with a lot of promising young players (Christensen, Vestergaard, Dolberg, Sisto, Højbjerg, Poulsen). I also believe we are a bit better than Ireland - but in a month Ireland can be better than us. Last night we were lucky to get Ireland out of their comfort zone - and very good at punishing an unbalanced team. After the equalizer Ireland got desperate and tactical naive. Sometimes the attackers were pushing alone and the space in front of the defence was to open.

We have had trouble with defensive teams as Romania, Montenegro, Armenia, Albania and Ireland. We are much better against teams who are investing in their offensive play - like Poland, Serbia and Ireland after the equalizer last night. 

I am looking forward to follow the Irish team in the future. IMO Ireland were stronger when you were able to bring the ball to the Danish half. It was difficult to get out of the pressure. I think the Irish side will be even stronger when you get one or two creative players in the starting eleven - without compromising the effort and approach. I really like a player like Christie that can open up a team. 

Now I will go to bed and hope for New Zealand to beat Peru - that will bring Denmark in the second layer of seedning. 
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by TonyDenmark TonyDenmark wrote:

I have been following this forum from the day we drew Ireland. I also knew it would be extremely difficult to open up the Irish defence. Happily for us we had a goal from a standard situation and from a wellplayed counter attack last night. I do believe our national team has a huge potential with a lot of promising young players (Christensen, Vestergaard, Dolberg, Sisto, Højbjerg, Poulsen). I also believe we are a bit better than Ireland - but in a month Ireland can be better than us. Last night we were lucky to get Ireland out of their comfort zone - and very good at punishing an unbalanced team. After the equalizer Ireland got desperate and tactical naive. Sometimes the attackers were pushing alone and the space in front of the defence was to open.

We have had trouble with defensive teams as Romania, Montenegro, Armenia, Albania and Ireland. We are much better against teams who are investing in their offensive play - like Poland, Serbia and Ireland after the equalizer last night. 

I am looking forward to follow the Irish team in the future. IMO Ireland were stronger when you were able to bring the ball to the Danish half. It was difficult to get out of the pressure. I think the Irish side will be even stronger when you get one or two creative players in the starting eleven - without compromising the effort and approach. I really like a player like Christie that can open up a team. 

Now I will go to bed and hope for New Zealand to beat Peru - that will bring Denmark in the second layer of seedning. 

A good analysis, fair play. Enjoy the World Cup
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 11:15pm
Found the Danes sound out. Will shout them on at WC
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 12:34am
Originally posted by TonyDenmark TonyDenmark wrote:

A good and fair analysis Tony (and congratulations on qualifying). If Ireland could have held on to 1-0 until halftime, we would have seen a much lower scoreline - Denmark could well have qualified, but not by 5 goals to 1. That first goal from Denmark knocked the stuffing out of Ireland, because all of a sudden they were behind in the tie and they knew it had been a really poor goal to give away. Eriksen's goal three minutes later really unbalanced them and I don't think they ever recovered - everything from then on was rushed and panic stricken.
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 1:09am
Tactical suicide at half time. You could see the shape was just all over the place for the whole second half. I know we needed two goals but there was still 45 minutes to play and we were set up like there was less than 10 minutes left. The management should've waited at least five or ten minutes into the second half before mixing it up. Then made changes one at a time rather wholesale personnel and system changes.

You had a situation where the players were asked to play a style they hadn't played for the whole campaign plus Saturday's first leg. I can't imagine there was much practice in training for that particular style because the plan has nearly always been to keep things tight and defensively rigid with holding midfielders for as long as possible, meaning training sessions would all be geared that way. So the whole team structure just fell apart and we looked completely disorganised and borderline clueless. The Danish fully deserved their victory but it was embarrassingly comprehensive.
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 8:38am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Exactly I do question some people's reading of the game as I have seen it heard we sat back after the goal or we were too defensive again.

That game last night was way too open for us and we paid for price. At 1-0 we still were open and played a game of who can finish better by giving up and creating 2 or 3 chances. There was only going to be one winner in that game. I think when we went one nil up he should have moved to a 4-5-1 with meyler after and Hendrick as the three and Brady and McClean as the wide players. Sit in for a few minutes and ride it out. We didn't and we were wide open and then the goals came due to bad organisation and mistakes by arter Christie and Ward. The team panics the management team panics and fall apart game over and we are out.   But we were set up wrong from thr start. Didn't make sense.

Agree in general but we always cough up a couple of chances in games, Randolph made similar good saves in the first half in Copenhagen to the chances Denmark had before the equaliser on Tuesday. The first goal had little to do with the diamond, it was just rank bad defending. Second goal was a bit of panic in the immediate aftermath when we decided to bomb forward chasing a goal, where was leadership from the sideline for that?

But it was the subs that really screwed us, we'd managed to weather the storm to get to half time and then utterly compounded the first half errors but giving Eriksen the freedom of the park. Suppose there was a spare freedom of Dublin award going after Geldof handed his back so O'Neill decided to give it to Eriksen.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 8:42pm
Well did have funny moment before the game as was there a good 30 minutes before kick off and went down to talk to Mr & Mrs Mule who were sat down in 114 . Now Hornet was stood talking i came along and yer man behind us in the seats said " do you mind sitting down i am trying to watch this " . Myself and Hornet turns around and looked at the pitch as a few of the team were doing warm ups , we just looked at each other and i left , now i did say to Hornet later yer man will be  in for a bit of a shock in a half and hour that's for sure Big smile

Edited by Claret Murph - 16 Nov 2017 at 8:43pm
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 42434445>
  Share Topic