Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup Playoffs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: World Cup Playoffs
    Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 9:09pm
Not including our tie in this but how do ye think the rest of ties will go? Apart from the Sweden-Italy playoff, it's very possible the bottom 3 seeds could put the other top 3 out. 

Croatia vs Greece - I'd expect Croatia to progress but if Greece are still in it going into their home game in the 2nd leg, they could surprise us. Croatia aren't the force they were and Greece have obviously improved from the last campaign. Think it'll be tight enough.

N.I vs Switzerland - Switzerland are probably sleight favourites but I don't think there's anything in it. If N.I. avoid an away goal conceded, even at 0-0, I think they'll do it. Could go to penalties. 

Sweden vs Italy - Like with the N.I. game, if Sweden avoid conceding at home, it gives them some chance in the 2nd leg but still a big ask. Would expect Italy to get a sympathetic ref as FIFA would want to see one of the traditional bug guns at a tournament. Would prefer to see Italy qualify myself tbh.  

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 9:26pm
Croatia will beat Greece. Greece have an extremely solid defence, almost all their star players play there. They have little to offer besides that barring Mitroglou, who has been scoring prolifically since his disaster of a spell at Fulham. Croatia have been stuttering along and seem to be in a sort of disarray but man for man they're that much better than the Greeks that i can't see them not getting across the line here. 
Croatia 2-0 Greece, Greece 1-1 Croatia

Nordies can remain competitive in a game against virtually any team these days and what they've achieved with their resources is remarkable. Still, this Swiss team is, i would wager, the best they've faced apart from Germany in the last two qualifying campaigns and have generally played well in their group, picking up 27 points. This will be extremely tight. The Swiss should have too much for the north in the end and will go through by the odd goal i reckon, but the north will be in it right up until the final whistle as they always are under Michael O'Neill.
Nordies 1-1 Switzerland, Switzerland 1-0 Nordies. 

Italy v Sweden is the one of the three i'd say that has the greatest chance of an upset. Sweden did well in a reasonably tough group, Italy picked up a respectable points haul in theirs but did so in a number of narrow wins and drew at home to Macedonia. Looks like they dont rate the manager there. Sweden may well be the best of the unseeded teams and can take this Italy side the entire way. I back Italy to just about get there but wouldn't surprise me at all if Sweden won it.
Sweden 2-1 Italy, Italy 3-1 Sweden (AET)

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 02 Nov 2017 at 9:27pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 9:45pm
Can't see the Swiss scoring in Belfast or Sweden getting 2 goals against Italy above all teams tbh. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
raclle View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

I love points

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raclle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 10:14pm
Croatia

N.I - Swiss game will be close. I'll go with the North.

Italy
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 10:20pm
Croatia Switzerland Italy and Ireland
AKA pedantic kunt
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 10:27pm
Fancy the orangemen to do it can see them winning 2-0 in the first leg.Croats and the Italians should progress
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 12:45am
What about.....

Honduras v Australia
Australia v Honduras

and

New Zealand v Peru
Peru v New Zealand

the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 8:30am
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

What about.....

Honduras v Australia
Australia v Honduras

and

New Zealand v Peru
Peru v New Zealand

What about them? Give us your take on them.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 8:46am

What about.....

Honduras v Australia
Australia v Honduras

and

New Zealand v Peru
Peru v New Zealand

Honduras and Peru to go through. The Aussies are appalling these days and very nearly succumbed to Syria in the previous round. They have very little coming through and rely on a 38(?) year old Tim Cahill. On the other side of the draw Peru have survived South American qualifying and will be battle hardened for the encounter. 2018 would be their first appear at the tournament since 82.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 9:00am

This be my take on the remaining World Cup places

4 Europe
Italy v Sweden-. Italians had Spain in there group so it was either one or the other who was going to make the Finals a 3-0 win in Madrid done it for Spanish after that Italians limped to 2nd with two 1-0 wins and a draw at home to Macedonia still the team teams wanted to avoid. Sweden have Markus Berg to thank (and the Dutch and Lloris) for making it the playoffs. An 8-0 win against Luxembourg all but secured them a place bar a miracle from the Dutch. Should be a tough close game Italians won 1-0 in Euros so I’d say in will be similarly close game would say first leg is in Stockholm if Swedes could keep Italians goalless then I’d actually fancy them to nick it over the two legs but ultimately the Italians always seem to find a way to qualify if they get an away goal then they go to Milan full of bravado.

Croatia v Greece- Croatia were the team most wanted to avoid seemed to falter need end of campaign. Greece on the other hand were team most would have liked to get despite being only team to takes points from the Belgians they are only in playoffs due to Bosnia throwing it away. If Croats rediscover their confidence under new manager they'll win comfortably over the two legs.

-Northern Ireland vs Switzerland- The Swiss were up there with Danes as the seed everyone wanted came through qualifying with 9 wins and 1 loss, let's not get ahead of the trend here they had a piss easy group, They have a decent home record and caught Portugal cold at start of campaign but a +12 GD against group minnows (Faroes, Latvia, Andorra) compared to Portugal's +24 is what ultimately cost them. From what I have seen they seem to struggle to break down resolute defences so a match up with North will be an interesting matchup. I'd fancy the North if they take a lead to Basel.

Denmark v Rep of Ireland- Have to try be as unbiased as possible here. The Danes picked up a lot of momentum after picking up 3 points from first 9, 4 points in next two games and other results going their way brought them back into it. Then 4 wins including a 4-0 win over Poland meant they were playoff bound if they drew with Romania which they duly did. Christian Eriksen was the driving force behind that run and he’ll be the man to stop come November. Ourselves well I think we all know the ups and downs of our campaign. If we can come out with an away goal in Copenhagen I think we’ll win.

3 Africa
-Morocco, Senegal and Tunisia currently top and have best chance of filling those places. Morocco have an away game against Ivory Coast, who are a point behind them so a win would see Ivory Coast overtake them, but Morocco have looked good during the group and have yet to concede and last few games the Ivorian’s seem to be lacking something so I’d make Morocco favourites to get what they need.

Senegal have a game’s advantage over the other teams due to their 2-1 loss to South Africa being annulled due to dodgy Referee so they are two points and a +4 goal difference ahead of Burkino Faso so even a draw in South Africa would most likely be enough for them to reach Russia a win and they are there regardless of what they do 4 days later.

As for Tunisia they hold the advantage over DR Congo mostly thanks to a superb comeback against them in September. Basically if Tunisia draw against Libya they are there.

1 South America/ Oceania
Peru vs NZ, you'd have to fancy Peru. They did have some luck over the campaign with an initial 2-0 loss to Bolivia was overturned and awarded as a 3-0 win after the Bolivians fielded an ineligible player but two draws vs Argentina and a win over Uruguay as well a convincing win over Paraguay  away seen them finish 5th ahead of Chile on goal difference.

As for New Zealand they pretty much romped to the playoffs conceding 1 goal in OFC Nations Cup then routine 2-0 wins over powerhouses Fiji and New Caledonia (drew 0-0 away) set them up for the OFC playoff against Solomon Islands where a 6-1 win at home put them on their way a 2-2 draw away made the aggregate score 8-3. A draw before qualifying had determined OFC would play Conembol.

1 NA/Asia
 Honduras vs Australia- Honduras booked their place in the playoffs ahead of the US by a point finishing 4th out 6 teams with 13 points after an initial loss to Panama an unbeaten home record San Pedro Sula including a final day 3-2 win over Mexico which leapfrogged them over the Americans. The Aussies finished 3rd in their 3rd round group behind Japan and Saudi Arabia too many draws during this round cost them. They’d go on to play Syria in a playoff and thanks to 37 year old Tim Cahill managed to scrap through 3-2 on aggregate. I think a trip to San Pedro will be too much for them but of course the second leg being at home may be an advantage it should be a tight game.

Edited by lassassinblanc - 03 Nov 2017 at 9:00am
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 9:15am
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

What about.....

Honduras v Australia
Australia v Honduras

and

New Zealand v Peru
Peru v New Zealand

I am the worlds worst predictor.
But here goes, Honduras Australia, 2 draws and penalties.
NZ Peru, draw and then Peru home win.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 3:50pm
I think Italy will win handy enough...Croatia to beat Greece after extra time, Nordie game could go either way...Have a feeling they will just shade it. Ivory Coast, Tunisia, Senegal, Australia and Peru to make up the other places
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 4:14pm
Was in Peru for a few weeks in September, football crazy country and they love their national side. The country will go ape if/when they qualify, can't see NZ denting their momentum. Think Peru would be a tough draw in the WC itself - very well drilled side with no superstars. 
Touts Out!
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 4:25pm

What about.....

Honduras v Australia
Australia v Honduras

and

New Zealand v Peru
Peru v New Zealand

Which team to win the pennos? LOL

Edited by ConorMac77 - 03 Nov 2017 at 4:25pm
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

What about.....

Honduras v Australia
Australia v Honduras

and

New Zealand v Peru
Peru v New Zealand

Which team to win the pennos? LOL

Ahh Jaysus I’m not Nostradamus or Russell Grant........Honduras 9-8 on peno’s
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 9:49pm
Paolo Guerrero suspended after failing a drugs test, huge loss for Peru
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 1:58pm
Cahill a doubt for Australia after limping off in an A-League match. It kind of says it all that a 38 year-old is still so vital for them, I can see Honduras nicking it.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 12:35am
Why do Ivory Coast underachieve so much?

4 or 8 years ago I'd of given them a chance of being the first African team to do it on paper, even without the likes of Drogba they still aren't a bad squad but losing to likes of Gabon and scraping to qualify is a serious underachievement
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic