FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Denmark v Ireland - Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 77>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Denmark v Ireland - Match Thread
    Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by TonyDenmark TonyDenmark wrote:

According to Danish media Christensen is playing right back instead of Ankersen. 
Poulsen will play instead of Jørgensen who was annoyed by his broken wrist.

A Danish journalist/ex-footballer counted the minutes Ireland "wasted" in Copenhagen: 22 minutes and 47 seconds (Substitutions not included).

The ball is usually in play for between 60-70 minutes, so that doesn't seem all that bad.
Sponsored Links

Nib View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 3:19pm
Best of luck to Martin and the boys tonight.

I think we'll win 1-0. Possibly a Brady penalty.

ybig!

Was in Phuket for the first game in a bar until 5am. They're normally supposed to close at 3 but the four lads in Ireland jerseys were drinking that much it was profitable for them to stay open. Beer 
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by TonyDenmark TonyDenmark wrote:

According to Danish media Christensen is playing right back instead of Ankersen. 

A Danish journalist/ex-footballer counted the minutes Ireland "wasted" in Copenhagen: 22 minutes and 47 seconds (Substitutions not included).

May I suggest that was a waste of the journalists time
TonyDenmark View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyDenmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 2:23pm

Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 1:22am
I read the doubt from some here and from the RTE panel that we have to play football to win on Tuesday. We don't. We need to outscore the opposition no matter how we do it. I'll take 89 or 119 minutes of nullifying the Danes and a last minute winner all day long if it gets us to a WC finals. Even penalties in our favour.
LetAldoTakeIt View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LetAldoTakeIt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 8:26pm
What would Holland Slovakia Czech Rep Austria Chile USA give to be in our shoes right now 90 mins away from the WCF's 
Accepted we are not blessed with the best technically enriched team at the moment but what we do have is a bunch playing for their fans, the jersey and their super manager.
What achievements MON has gotten out of these lads. What does messers Brady the arch pain in the arse, Duff the apprentice Yes Man and the great unwashed Dunphy have on MON I'll tell ye,  it Sweet FA. What a cabal of chancers as for the anchorman Darragh Maloney well enough said....
In reality ROI are blessed to have one of the best respected manager in the World leading these lads right now. 
When you see the codgers that are getting appointments in the PL. What is the estimated value of a MON with RK as his assistant worth.
Dont forget we were not supposed to be fit to be on the same park as Wales a month ago What did we do only go and give them a schooling. Ireland are stronger on the ball stronger in the tackle and far more committed than this Denmark team. 
Come Wednesday morning Google will be busy with YBIG searching for how many Rubels to the €uro. 

Edited by LetAldoTakeIt - 12 Nov 2017 at 8:28pm
orourkeda View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orourkeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 4:35pm
I just hope we qualify.

There's nothing more satisfying than watching armchair general getting their comeuppance
https://www.orourkeda.blog

Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

A lot of regret in the other home games this year, disappointed not to beat Austria and Wales (we weren't great but nearly won both in the end). Serbia there wasn't much between us.

Bout time we standed up to be counted at home. If we don't go and get the win at home (meaning no win at home against any of our direct rivals) then we don't really deserve to qualify

If we can't win on Tuesday against a fairly evenly matched opponent, then we're not good enough to qualify. Also, I never bought into the 'two draws and away goal' angle, I felt we would always need to win one leg no matter what.

Personally I think we'll do it. I can see another Bosnia at home type night coming.
orourkeda View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orourkeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by keith3307 keith3307 wrote:

Sisto being quoted as saying Ireland have difficulty playing soccer. Hopefully hes proved wrong Tuesday.

He had difficulty playing soccer himself last night when he put that chance wide.

It was easier to score
https://www.orourkeda.blog

keith3307 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keith3307 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 4:17pm
Sisto being quoted as saying Ireland have difficulty playing soccer. Hopefully hes proved wrong Tuesday.

Edited by keith3307 - 12 Nov 2017 at 4:18pm
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 4:15pm
With they way we played, all the long-balls, I think it would have made more sense to play Long instead of O'Dowda, as he could have supported Murphy. But whatever, we got what we went there for.

The Danes did look down after the game, so hopefully they are thinking that they've blown their chance.

And compared to Serbia or Wales, they look a less formidable opponent.

A home game against a Danish team that doesn't compare to the teams they've had in the past, we probably won't get a better chance at qualifying for a World Cup.

We can complain about O'Neill's tactics, but when push comes to shove he has delivered on the results front. If he gets the team up for it like he did with Germany and Italy, then we should qualify.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 4:07pm
A lot of regret in the other home games this year, disappointed not to beat Austria and Wales (we weren't great but nearly won both in the end). Serbia there wasn't much between us.

Bout time we standed up to be counted at home. If we don't go and get the win at home (meaning no win at home against any of our direct rivals) then we don't really deserve to qualify

Edited by t_rAndy - 12 Nov 2017 at 4:08pm
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

I'm less confident now than I was before the game. I don't fancy us now. One poxy deflection or goal comceded and we will be out. Cant see us scoring twice. Still have a great chance obviously but just think 0-0 was a much better result for them than us.

We were just as worried about the away goal with Bosnia two years ago. A lot of the talk here after the first leg was about extra time and the possibility of the game going to penalties. We should be a bit more positive - a lot of countries would love to be in the position of playing in a 50,000 seater stadium at home knowing a win would qualify them.

We had an away goal ourselves so an away goal from them only equaled it up. I had no fear. This time I do have fear. I fancy it to finish 1-1.

I reckon we were probably always going to have to win one of these matches, either in Copenhagen or Dublin, not unless we drew 2-2 or 3-3 in Denmark or something. Nothing has really changed and a home win will be required (few if any teams ever qualify for a WC or Euros on the back of two draws, you nearly always see a clear winner in one leg).
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

I'm less confident now than I was before the game. I don't fancy us now. One poxy deflection or goal comceded and we will be out. Cant see us scoring twice. Still have a great chance obviously but just think 0-0 was a much better result for them than us.

We were just as worried about the away goal with Bosnia two years ago. A lot of the talk here after the first leg was about extra time and the possibility of the game going to penalties. We should be a bit more positive - a lot of countries would love to be in the position of playing in a 50,000 seater stadium at home knowing a win would qualify them.

We had an away goal ourselves so an away goal from them only equaled it up. I had no fear. This time I do have fear. I fancy it to finish 1-1.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 3:35pm

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 3:29pm

It's cliche, but if you were offered the chance to beat Denmark at home to qualify for the World Cup at the start of the campaign then you would have taken it.

But yeah, very fearful of the away goal. count in extra time too

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 3:23pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
stokeirish View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stokeirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Denmark are hardly a 'very poor' team and if they are what does make us?!

We were 6/1 to win last night. They had two chances in a vital home game, if we can’t beat them we are sh*t

What age are you?

San Marino are sh*t. We are an average but solid team no more no less whether we beat Denmark or not. They are on a level par with us.

I’d agree with that. Not a lot between the two sides. Always felt it was a genuine 50-50 tie. Still is
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 77>
  Share Topic