You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chiedozie Ogbene

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 50>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Hes a hard working honest player but I just don't see the quality required to go beyond league 1 level. 

Hes in the ireland team because no one else is actually playing. For context- I'm critical of Idah but I can clearly see Idah has got talent that hasn't been realised. Idah needs to go on loan, struggle for a bit and get better as he gets games under his belt. 

Ogbene has been great but I don't see him as a solution to our attacking woes.

I still think there could be a deal of improvement to come from Chiedozie. He didn't move to England until he was 21 (very late by Irish standards) and he missed a lot of last season through injury, so while he is 24 now (25 in May), he hasn't played a huge amount of senior football in England, less than 80 senior games. Kenny has given him a platform and so far he has grasped his chance, he's raw, pacey and powerful, that's a good base to work from. He needs to improve technically and tactically, but he has time to do so. Could be a late bloomer and I'll be keeping a close eye on his development. Antonio who I and others have compared him to was still playing Championship football at 26.

I'd say he's in the Irish squad on merit, because he's a damn sight better than Daryl Horgan and our other wide attacker/winger options.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Hes a hard working honest player but I just don't see the quality required to go beyond league 1 level. 

Hes in the ireland team because no one else is actually playing. For context- I'm critical of Idah but I can clearly see Idah has got talent that hasn't been realised. Idah needs to go on loan, struggle for a bit and get better as he gets games under his belt. 

Ogbene has been great but I don't see him as a solution to our attacking woes.

I still think there could be a deal of improvement to come from Chiedozie. He didn't move to England until he was 21 (very late by Irish standards) and he missed a lot of last season through injury, so while he is 24 now (25 in May), he hasn't played a huge amount of senior football in England, less than 80 senior games. Kenny has given him a platform and so far he has grasped his chance, he's raw, pacey and powerful, that's a good base to work from. He needs to improve technically and tactically, but he has time to do so. Could be a late bloomer and I'll be keeping a close eye on his development. Antonio who I and others have compared him to was still playing Championship football at 26.

I'd say he's in the Irish squad on merit, because he's a damn sight better than Daryl Horgan and our other wide attacker/winger options.

Really good points John, however, I can't help thinking ogbene is a stopgap in much the same way I think Horgan has been.

Will be happily proved wrong and I hope Ogi really kicks on now, he has time and momentum on his side. He also seems a lovely lad. 

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:24pm
Possibly my favourite player. Thought he did great last night.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 11:19am
He’s 19, according to Dunphy on the late late show last night 
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

He’s 19, according to Dunphy on the late late show last night 

😂😂😂😂
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 10:17am

This is a screen grab of his career. Goals scored columns is the one 2nd from right.

He has been super for us for the last few months but will a club higher up than Rotherham take a chance on him seeing his goal return is very poor? 1 goals in 3 and a half seasons, having started nearly 70 games?

He has two for us in 2 months!

Delighted for him though, seems a great guy and a big positive influence in the camp I'd imagine.

Edited by greenshoots - 15 Nov 2021 at 10:25am
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 10:20am
I'm sort of hoping Ogbene gets a move based off the strength of his Irish performances. Sometimes a good run of performances internationally puts you in the shop window, it's the same hope for the likes of Hendrick and Doherty as well. 

If Ogbene can build on this with Rotherham I'd be optimistic for him to get a move to the Championship anyway, he is very raw but I think he gives you something a little different. 

Agreed with everyone on just him as a character though, think he's shot to the top of most people's favourite player lists Clap
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 10:27am
The tussle with Danilo was excellent. He more than matched him and even drew a yellow card. Last night he looked bright and skilful and seems to really have potential. He also looks very comfortable in games against lower ranked teams, and that can be very useful going forward. And as people have mentioned his character appears top rate. 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 10:58am
Another smashing game from Ogbene. Can defo do better than Rotherham IMO
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

You would think that from his Ireland performances, but 1 goal in 51 games for Rotherham may suggest otherwise
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 11:21am
Hope this increases his confidence and he starts banging them in at club level. Clearly has the ability.

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 11:37am
I read somewhere that there was belief within the club that they'd still be in the Championship if he didn't get the injury that ruled him out for most of the season. A lot of belief there that he has a higher ceiling.

Something I noticed at club and international level is that he draws a lot of fouls and wins cards against the opposition.

Handy thing to have in our locker.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 11:48am

You would think that from his Ireland performances, but 1 goal in 51 games for Rotherham may suggest otherwise

He plays wing back for the club which would excuse him from not being all that prolific at Rotherham. 
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 11:52am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

He plays wing back for the club which would excuse him from not being all that prolific at Rotherham. 

I'm pretty sure that's only a recent development.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 12:37pm
He's been a very welcome addition to the squad. Portugal and Luxembourg both had all sorts of issues trying to deal with him.
Pinginí View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinginí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 12:49pm
He's been a breath of fresh air for the whole team. 

Will be a good squad member for the coming years now purely because of the pace he offers. It's something we've been badly lacking for a while and his ability to stretch teams has been invaluable already.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 1:39pm
He's been on the bench the last number of games though hasn't he? 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 1:45pm
Cmon lads he's been brilliant for Ireland and seems a genuinely lovely lad but for me he's been given an opportunity due to lack of competition playing and taken it with both hands.

I dont think he'll play higher than league1 club wise to be honest and with the development of players coming through I can't see him playing in the first team going forward. 

I think knight back from injury, idah will get a loan move as should connolly, parrott will have another 15/20 games. Keane will likely look to play more and so on.

Kilkenny will be in, Coventry and Taylor all making progress and I appreciate all different positions but space is limited.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 50>
  Share Topic