You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chiedozie Ogbene

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 49>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Doubtful after going off injured this afternoon.

A woeful challenge that could have done real damage.
Very lucky if he's OK to play in a few days after that.
Sponsored Links

Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 2:00am
Very impressive showing by this man tonight 

Should he be in the Championship or even Premier League ?
SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 7:29am
he really grew into the game. Technically he looks really short but he makes up for it with endeavour. Didn’t think he was good enough for international level but he did enough tonight to confirm he is. Rotherham fans rate him but constantly refer to his lack of consistency & final ball. That seems about right to me. Something different for us & he’s a good addition to the squad/ team.
SC92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 7:44am
He isn't the most technical but he is absolutely something we lack an out and out pacy winger who is an out ball. We really lack players who can beat people so I think he is making appearances for the team on merit. 

He's such a likable guy too who plays with a smile so you have to root for that.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 8:20am
He has technical shortcomings but they don't stop him from being effective. I'm sure he'll improve those too. 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 8:46am
His unpredictability is an asset. Defenders aren't sure what they are getting. Not sure he knows either!
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 8:52am
His tussle with the highly experienced Danilo was fascinating. He was more than a match for him.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 8:52am
Oggy ClapClapClap

Can do better than Rotherham surely 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:06am
He grew into the game yesterday and did well. I agree with most on here that although he puts in an honest shift he doesn't have the quality to play in higher leagues. 

notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:40am
Definitely struggled at the start but something clicked for him from about 25 mins on I think. Gives us something different definitely and so easy to root for as has been side. Love having him about the squad Clap
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

Definitely struggled at the start but something clicked for him from about 25 mins on I think. Gives us something different definitely and so easy to root for as has been side. Love having him about the squad Clap

Agree that he struggled badly early on, he didnt seem to understand his role in the press unlike Mc Grath who was again tactically very clever (seen some rating his display poorly, but I thought Jamie was very effective in both the press and dropping deep to assist the midfield). Chiedozie improved as the half progressed and I assume management had a word at half time as he really got going after the break. His goalscoring record at L1/L2 level is poor, and his touch and final ball are erratic, but raw pace and power are a good base to build on, although he is 24 pushing 25 now, so not a youngster. Good squad option and hopefully he can kick on at club level. Somebody earlier in the thread compared him to Michael Antonio which I think is a good shout. Hopefully he can progress in the way Antonio has done through his career. Brave selection from Kenny to get him in to the squad and he's certainly proved the manager right.
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:28pm
Since coming back from his injury last season Rotherham have really been playing with three at the back and Ogbene at WB. Playing him there next year in some games like March's friendlies could be an option and see how he plays.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Since coming back from his injury last season Rotherham have really been playing with three at the back and Ogbene at WB. Playing him there next year in some games like March's friendlies could be an option and see how he plays.

Definitely worth a look at playing him there in the friendlies. We dont have great depth at RWB after Coleman who is getting on and Doherty, really only Christie, so it would be interesting to see whether Chiedozie has the defensive awareness to play there at intl level. Certainly against weaker teams, he might be an asset in that position.
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Definitely worth a look at playing him there in the friendlies. We dont have great depth at RWB after Coleman who is getting on and Doherty, really only Christie, so it would be interesting to see whether Chiedozie has the defensive awareness to play there at intl level. Certainly against weaker teams, he might be an asset in that position.

Yeah RWB is definitely somewhere we could look at adding some depth. Euros is probably going to be Coleman's last tournament, and Christie is with Fulham's reserves and thought he looked overweight when he played last month. If Ogbene is already in the squad it's definitely worth looking against certain teams, and Festy Ebosele is another lad that could play RW and RWB. Bigger advantage he has is Derby have started playing him in that role at a younger age. Hopefully he can keep up the regular appearances for Derby this season. Whether it's at RB, RWB, or RW.

I hope next year we really do look at squad options to add depth in certain positions. While there's a couple of lads who aren't in the squad that are playing regularly at club level I'd also like to see some who are already in the squad used in different roles.

For example Hendrick is nailed on for that midfield role alongside Cullen in the midfield two. Molumby seems to be the next in line after Hendrick but I'd like to see Knight or McGrath tried out there alongside Cullen sometime.

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 2:08pm

Yeah RWB is definitely somewhere we could look at adding some depth. Euros is probably going to be Coleman's last tournament, and Christie is with Fulham's reserves and thought he looked overweight when he played last month. If Ogbene is already in the squad it's definitely worth looking against certain teams, and Festy Ebosele is another lad that could play RW and RWB. Bigger advantage he has is Derby have started playing him in that role at a younger age. Hopefully he can keep up the regular appearances for Derby this season. Whether it's at RB, RWB, or RW.

I hope next year we really do look at squad options to add depth in certain positions. While there's a couple of lads who aren't in the squad that are playing regularly at club level I'd also like to see some who are already in the squad used in different roles.

For example Hendrick is nailed on for that midfield role alongside Cullen in the midfield two. Molumby seems to be the next in line after Hendrick but I'd like to see Knight or McGrath tried out there alongside Cullen sometime.

If we are going to have a look at younger WBs I'd prefer Ebosele or Kioso to Ogbene. Both have more potential in that position for me. Leave Ogbene where he is. I would hope in 4/5 years time unless Ogbene has moved up to playing Championship football he would be only barely making the squad. Nothing against him just would go for any player in League 1.
Also think last night proved how much of an asset would be off the bench. It's a waste starting him. You see how good he was in the 2nd half vs the 1st. Imagine a fresh Ogbene in the 2nd half.

Edited by kevin100 - 12 Nov 2021 at 2:08pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

If we are going to have a look at younger WBs I'd prefer Ebosele or Kioso to Ogbene. Both have more potential in that position for me. Leave Ogbene where he is. I would hope in 4/5 years time unless Ogbene has moved up to playing Championship football he would be only barely making the squad. Nothing against him just would go for any player in League 1.
Also think last night proved how much of an asset would be off the bench. It's a waste starting him. You see how good he was in the 2nd half vs the 1st. Imagine a fresh Ogbene in the 2nd half.

I'd say there's a fair chance Rotherham could go up this season and I'd be surprised if Ogbene doesnt make the step up himself in any case. He's just a bit raw, but you'd imagine, having got his opportunity for Ireland and a bit of a platform to showcase his talents, he can now kick on. I'll be very surprised if he's still knocking around League One next season. Agreed that he would be best utilised currently as an impact sub higher up the field, but no harm having a look at him at RWB when the opportunity arises. Ebosele is still a teenager. Kioso is definitely worth a look if he's committed. Mc Namara is another one we hope will progress further.
Idah Dream!
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Oggy ClapClapClap

Oggy Oggy Oggyy oi oi oi....
It would damage this forums' reputation
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 3:28pm
Hes a hard working honest player but I just don't see the quality required to go beyond league 1 level. 

Hes in the ireland team because no one else is actually playing. For context- I'm critical of Idah but I can clearly see Idah has got talent that hasn't been realised. Idah needs to go on loan, struggle for a bit and get better as he gets games under his belt. 

Ogbene has been great but I don't see him as a solution to our attacking woes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 49>
  Share Topic