Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jayson Molumby

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 57>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Il keep banging the drum as I think it will effect our ability to havea depth of decent players in the future? What’s wrong with that? 

Of course they have it to prove have made that abundantly clear in my repeated making of the above point (considering you clearly have been noticing) but it’s no good if they don’t get the opportunity to develop in the first place which the 3 lads mentioned above in an extremely important season for their careers haven’t done so.

It’s more of an English football thing in general to me not just isolated to us Irish I constantly bang the same drum as a Man Utd fan as well we don’t put our good young players out on loan to develop and it hurts them/us long term.

'Its more of an English thing'

Despite Chelsea and Man City to name but a few being the biggest hitters in Europe when it comes to loaning out players?

Liverpool, Arsenal, Man United (to an extent) etc are constantly loaning out young players or like in Arsenals case currently, playing them if they're good enough.

Smallbone and Obafemi were part of the Saints first team last season and the early part of this campaign, maybe the manager was prepared to allow both to fight for their spot in the first 11 but they didnt impress? Molomby whilst seeing very little action has actually played in the Premier League now for Brighton. Again, maybe Potter doesnt trust him to start in the PL, but wants him at arms length if he feels that hes ready if/when that is?

You can bang your drum all you want, but you need to take off the green tainted specs and start applying logic and moving away from the hypothetical stuff.

Edited by Green Devil - 01 Dec 2020 at 2:38pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Sponsored Links

thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Il keep banging the drum as I think it will effect our ability to havea depth of decent players in the future? What’s wrong with that? 

Of course they have it to prove have made that abundantly clear in my repeated making of the above point (considering you clearly have been noticing) but it’s no good if they don’t get the opportunity to develop in the first place which the 3 lads mentioned above in an extremely important season for their careers haven’t done so.

It’s more of an English football thing in general to me not just isolated to us Irish I constantly bang the same drum as a Man Utd fan as well we don’t put our good young players out on loan to develop and it hurts them/us long term.

Despite Chelsea and Man City to name but a few being the biggest hitters in Europe when it comes to loaning out players?

Liverpool, Arsenal, Man United (to an extent) etc are constantly loaning out young players or like in Arsenals case currently, playing them if they're good enough.

Smallbone and Obafemi were part of the Saints first team last season and the early part of this campaign, maybe the manager was prepared to allow both to fight for their spot in the first 11 but they didnt impress? Molomby whilst seeing very little action has actually played in the Premier League now for Brighton. Again, maybe Potter doesnt trust him to start in the PL, but wants him at arms length if he feels that hes ready if/when that is?

You can bang your drum all you want, but you need to take off the green tainted specs and start applying logic and moving away from the hypothetical stuff.

Both players are a long way off being good enough for Saints first team at the moment. Smallbone looks tidy if a little uncreative. Feel there's a decent future for him. Obafemi is a weird one. DOn't think he suits the way Saints are looking to play at the moment. Would like to see him get a loan move as I feel that he will have something to offer Saints and Ireland in the future, but not presently
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

What’s wrong with it is that it is all completely made up. Molumby starting for Schalke is based on nothing and pulled straight from your ass. 

You’ve then proceeded to show yourself up as completely clueless by calling out Manchester United. An academy which has far note players playing in the top 5 leagues than any German club. An academy which consistently tops the English leagues for players produced. And a first team which consistently tops the PL for academy graduates used. 

You’re claims are based on nothing with absolutely nothing to back it up other than trying to be hipster and claim Germany is amazing. Except when you actually look at it, the huge number of English players who’ve recently gone to Germany haven’t got to play. 

The point was let’s say in Germany bottom 6/bottom half team wouldn’t be able to afford to go out and pay a Walcott or a Lallana 70k a week the better option for now as a rotation player hence being more likely to play/it’s more in their interest to play a talented 20/21 year old on the fringes of the first team. Germany was an example as it is one of the bigger Leagues in Europe along with Spain Italy and England. Unlike the other 2 Leagues German clubs have been recruiting a number of English/British players nothing hipster about it just an example that German clubs/scouts themselves have identified this.

Very straightforward point not rocket science really and wether the player is Irish or Indonesian the point still applies. 

Man Utd use a lot of academy for marketing purposes essentially and an awful lot of their players don’t fulfil their complete potential due to being thrown in too deep too soon. Rashford an example only turned 23 and already an awful lot of injuries accumalated playing 50-60 games a year and Greenwood now under pressure out of form with a lot of scrutiny for a 19yo kid. 

I was more so making the point that they don’t loan out their young players enough not that they don’t produce players and that what I believe is not just me “having green tinted specs” on. Bar Rashford and Greenwood 2 of the most talented teenagers on the planet for their age group and Mctominay who missed playing between 18-20 due to growth issues any other academy player Henderson Pogba Lingard Tuanzebe Periera left recently have been loaned out/gone elsewhere first to play before coming back.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 6:00pm

An English thing to generally not have to rely on thier youth system to produce players as they have the money to go out and buy better for now. Have you been living under a rock or have you missed the money in English football at the moment?? Do you see a midtable/bottom half Bundesliga team or a bottom 6 La Liga side go out and buy players with the CV or Lallana or Welbeck or Walcott and be able to afford to pay them 60-70k a week? Do you f**k? 

That is the point I was making it’s just very competitive at the moment and impossible for young players to break through at PL clubs it’s not just confined to Irish lads and now that we actually have focused on youth development in Ireland again properly it’s something that will become more evident as the years go on.

Yes some teams clearly utilise the loan system very well that is the point I’m making an awful lot of Irish players at the moment could be out on loan playing/developing and they aren’t it’s exactly the point I am making. Smallbones case he was injured fair enough. Molumby and Obafemi while talented are competing with Lallana and Walcott coming thats the point. 

Edited by kevin100 - 01 Dec 2020 at 6:01pm
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 6:00pm

What’s wrong with it is that it is all completely made up. Molumby starting for Schalke is based on nothing and pulled straight from your ass. 

You’ve then proceeded to show yourself up as completely clueless by calling out Manchester United. An academy which has far note players playing in the top 5 leagues than any German club. An academy which consistently tops the English leagues for players produced. And a first team which consistently tops the PL for academy graduates used. 

You’re claims are based on nothing with absolutely nothing to back it up other than trying to be hipster and claim Germany is amazing. Except when you actually look at it, the huge number of English players who’ve recently gone to Germany haven’t got to play. 

The point was let’s say in Germany bottom 6/bottom half team wouldn’t be able to afford to go out and pay a Walcott or a Lallana 70k a week the better option for now as a rotation player hence being more likely to play/it’s more in their interest to play a talented 20/21 year old on the fringes of the first team. Germany was an example as it is one of the bigger Leagues in Europe along with Spain Italy and England. Unlike the other 2 Leagues German clubs have been recruiting a number of English/British players nothing hipster about it just an example that German clubs/scouts themselves have identified this.

Very straightforward point not rocket science really and wether the player is Irish or Indonesian the point still applies. 

Man Utd use a lot of academy for marketing purposes essentially and an awful lot of their players don’t fulfil their complete potential due to being thrown in too deep too soon. Rashford an example only turned 23 and already an awful lot of injuries accumalated playing 50-60 games a year and Greenwood now under pressure out of form with a lot of scrutiny for a 19yo kid. 

I was more so making the point that they don’t loan out their young players enough not that they don’t produce players and that what I believe is not just me “having green tinted specs” on. Bar Rashford and Greenwood 2 of the most talented teenagers on the planet for their age group and Mctominay who missed playing between 18-20 due to growth issues any other academy player Henderson Pogba Lingard Tuanzebe Periera left recently have been loaned out/gone elsewhere first to play before coming back.

Firstly Southampton finished 11th in the PL last season.

Secondly, Walcott has started 5 out of the 5 games he was eligible to play for Southampton this season and Lallana has already started 7 times for Brighton this season.

'Rotational players' they are not.

Brandon Williams hasn't gone out on loan either? 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 6:14pm

Firstly Southampton finished 11th in the PL last season.

Secondly, Walcott has started 5 out of the 5 games he was eligible to play for Southampton this season and Lallana has already started 7 times for Brighton this season.

'Rotational players' they are not.

Brandon Williams hasn't gone out on loan either? 

11th so that is the bottom half isn’t it they finished liked 15th and 16th the previous two years. Now I know they had a good run before those 3 years so il call them a midtable club/bottom 12 club so for the sake of your argument. 

Danny Ings is injured only for that Walcott may not/probably wouldn’t have been automatic first choice hence rotational starts some/most games doesn’t start them all not quite automatic. 

Lallana has started most of the games has been put on the bench by Potter as well occasionally to call him rotational is probably a bit ott point taken. Welbeck who they brought in and gave 50k a week would he be automatic with everyone fit at Brighton? 

Williams hasn’t but was and has been heavily linked with a loan move to Southampton funny enough. He’s now 3rd choice left back because again Utd went out and bought Telles the ready made player for now to add to Shaw and Williams is a player I think has potential/is talented.

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Both players are a long way off being good enough for Saints first team at the moment. Smallbone looks tidy if a little uncreative. Feel there's a decent future for him. Obafemi is a weird one. DOn't think he suits the way Saints are looking to play at the moment. Would like to see him get a loan move as I feel that he will have something to offer Saints and Ireland in the future, but not presently 

That’s pretty much the point I’m trying to make I’m not saying Obafemi isn’t better then Walcott Redmond Ings etc at the moment he isn’t anyone with a logical working brain looking at the above 3s CVs would agree with you on that. 

Hence why Im making the above point he doesn’t improve/get to that level by sitting on the bench he’d be better off going out on loan to develop and try to improve. Smallbone would maybe be after some game time if he wasn’t injured I can accept that. Molumby the same I could see Molumby possibly breaking into the Brighton team at the end of the year and if does staying around was worth it good luck to him. I wouldn’t have minded seeing him go back out to Millwall or whoever this year again though to further his education/play every week.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 6:25pm
Walcott has started every game since he re joined Southampton (wasn't eligible to play against Everton) so yes he started them all. Again, this is backed up with facts as opposed to you hypothetically assuming he wouldn't be automatic but at the moment he is. 

Whether you're talking about Lallana, Welbeck etc whoever it doesn't matter but if you start more games than you don't, you're a first team regular its as simple as that. 

The reason why you were pulled up in the main, was down to the fact your post was all in hypothetical terms. There is absolutely no guarantee Smallbone, Obafemi, Molomby etc would find it a whole lot easier to break into a lower Bundesliga team when your argument was solely based on the money aspect. 

Most of those sides even in the lower reaches of the Bundesliga would have tons of full internationals littered throughout their team or pro's with huge experience.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 6:27pm

Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

That’s pretty much the point I’m trying to make I’m not saying Obafemi isn’t better then Walcott Redmond Ings etc at the moment he isn’t anyone with a logical working brain looking at the above 3s CVs would agree with you on that. 

Hence why Im making the above point he doesn’t improve/get to that level by sitting on the bench he’d be better off going out on loan to develop and try to improve. Smallbone would maybe be after some game time if he wasn’t injured I can accept that. Molumby the same I could see Molumby possibly breaking into the Brighton team at the end of the year and if does staying around was worth it good luck to him. I wouldn’t have minded seeing him go back out to Millwall or whoever this year again though to further his education/play every week.

WE ALL AGREE!!!!!!!!LOL

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 7:04pm

Walcott has started every game since he re joined Southampton (wasn't eligible to play against Everton) so yes he started them all. Again, this is backed up with facts as opposed to you hypothetically assuming he wouldn't be automatic but at the moment he is. 

Whether you're talking about Lallana, Welbeck etc whoever it doesn't matter but if you start more games than you don't, you're a first team regular its as simple as that. 

The reason why you were pulled up in the main, was down to the fact your post was all in hypothetical terms. There is absolutely no guarantee Smallbone, Obafemi, Molomby etc would find it a whole lot easier to break into a lower Bundesliga team when your argument was solely based on the money aspect. 

Most of those sides even in the lower reaches of the Bundesliga would have tons of full internationals littered throughout their team or pro's with huge experience.

Yes he started those games with Ings being injured their main man. I disagree if you don’t start to every game you aren’t automatic your rotational to an extent especially in a team not playing 50-60 like the bigger clubs are. 

What was hypothetical about it an awful lot of British players are heading to Germany/being poached why do you think that is for the fresh air? As for the money aspect yes look through the squad of Freiburg Mainz Union Berlin Augsburg or even Schalke and Hertha Berlin who would be comfortably top half clubs in Getmany you’d see them very hard pressed to sign players like Walcott or Lallana on 70k a week or possess the wage bills of a Brighton or a Southampton. Lallana I say 70k but that could be even higher. 

If you have more money you can go out and buy/pay a higher calibre of player more money to play for you. Simple economics nothing hypothetical about it.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 7:15pm

Just to pick on that final point about “green tinted specs” how in gods name does saying the above show green tainted specs. If anything showing the recognition Molumby Obafemi etc aren’t quite there yet to start with the players in said squads is the opposite of that just being realistic and stating that for ourselves more young lads going out foreign to breakthrough is something worth exploring/practical for Irish soccer long term.

Edited by kevin100 - 01 Dec 2020 at 7:16pm
Four-Four-Two View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 12:24pm
connolly only on 7k a week, his legs are gone
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Sorry Kevin, I struggled to grasp the drift of your previous post. Nevertheless - and possibly off topic - I was interested to see Molumby earns over £11k per week more than Connolly at Brighton. Connolly was given a far less lucrative contract ($6.7k a week, four years) than Molumby's existing 3-year contract ($17.3k a week). It's a deal Molumby would struggle to match elsewhere. Connolly's reward doesn't flatter him and seems to reflects his value to Brighton. 

*I'm not sure of the validity and/or accuracy of the site and am happy to be corrected.

Ahh I went on a bit of a rant got accused of having “green tinted specs” and being hipster when I was being the opposite was being realistic that most young players aren’t good enough to break into PL sides at 18/19/20 with the calibre of player bottom half clubs can go out and buy don’t mind the top sides. 

just the general point was that relying on English football to develop our young players efficiently for us down the line is going to be incredibly challenging due to the volume of money in the game here etc and that setting the template for having our young players moving out foreign in the future would be a very good thing. 

It seems to be that anyways. Molumby only signed that contract recently clearly they wanted to hold onto him long term no doubt. Connolly I’m sure was recent too actually but will no doubt get a new updated contract soon in the next year or two as well. Molumby is an interesting one would love to see him break into the Brighton team as the year goes on I do think he’s talented enough to.

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 1:24pm
Strange how salaries work. Michael Obafemi signed a 3 year contact last year at 600,000 euros a year, or £525,000, so over £10,000 a week. Will Smallbone signed a 4 year contract at a reported £5,000 a week. Maybe strikers are a more prized commodity than midfielders but the Brighton situation seems to contradict that assumption. Of course young players, if they do well like young Declan " Up the Ra " Rice has at West Ham, can always get their agents to extract more dosh, and maybe defect to England while they're at it.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 2:00pm

Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Sorry Kevin, I struggled to grasp the drift of your previous post. Nevertheless - and possibly off topic - I was interested to see Molumby earns over £11k per week more than Connolly at Brighton. Connolly was given a far less lucrative contract ($6.7k a week, four years) than Molumby's existing 3-year contract ($17.3k a week). It's a deal Molumby would struggle to match elsewhere. Connolly's reward doesn't flatter him and seems to reflects his value to Brighton. 

*I'm not sure of the validity and/or accuracy of the site and am happy to be corrected.

Ahh I went on a bit of a rant got accused of having “green tinted specs” and being hipster when I was being the opposite was being realistic that most young players aren’t good enough to break into PL sides at 18/19/20 with the calibre of player bottom half clubs can go out and buy don’t mind the top sides. 

just the general point was that relying on English football to develop our young players efficiently for us down the line is going to be incredibly challenging due to the volume of money in the game here etc and that setting the template for having our young players moving out foreign in the future would be a very good thing. 

It seems to be that anyways. Molumby only signed that contract recently clearly they wanted to hold onto him long term no doubt. Connolly I’m sure was recent too actually but will no doubt get a new updated contract soon in the next year or two as well. Molumby is an interesting one would love to see him break into the Brighton team as the year goes on I do think he’s talented enough to.

Leaving out the money aspect, this is the general theme throughout all of the top leagues in Europe! You were being extremely naive in confining your way of thinking solely to the PL, when you could scour through La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc where more often than not you would still find that very few sides have numerous 18-20 year olds starting for them week in week out bar the odd exception.

For sure the lower ranked sides in the PL can spend more money than their German or French counterparts, absolutely no question 'but' that doesn't necessarily equate to an easier pathway into the first team (and being able to sustain your position in the team) than we'll say a lower level club in the Bundesliga. I mean on one hand you're saying our young players aren't good enough to break into these PL sides yet the likes of Obafemi and Smallbone have actually played numerous times for Southampton before as has Connolly at Brighton to name but a few. There's no suggestion that Smallbone would see more action at Schalke or Obafemi at Mainz, it's wishful thinking.

I mean there are a dozen other factors that would need to be taken into consideration, than merely just assuming it would be easier.

Anyhow, I do agree with you re it would be nice to see more of our players experiencing different cultures and leagues, I've been an advocate off it for years but given the close proximity, similar cultures (to an extent) and riches of the English leagues it's not surprising to see so many young Irish players moving there as opposed to further afield countries. 

Edited by Green Devil - 02 Dec 2020 at 4:02pm

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 4:06pm
They have featured for their respective clubs and of course there’s no guarantees but I was making the isolated point about those 3 that they had to deal with players with the CVs of Lallana and Walcott come in if they were at Mainz or Augsburg you can be a sure those clubs wouldn’t be able to afford to bring in players the calibre of Walcott or Lallana hence leading to a player with the profile of Molumby or Obafemi getting more of a run or more likely to get more of a run.

Germany was just an example as there is actual evidence that they are targeting the recruitment of British talent hence they have spotted this loophole. 
Ajax’s team last night was a case in point an awful lot of younger players scattered in the team as they don’t have the financial clout to go out and buy or pay the ready made article 70k a week either on a whim don’t mind 100k a week or more.

I do think we will benefit if young Irish players start expanding their horizons Cullen and Kelly are actually a real case in point for sure Kelly maybe didn’t work out well and Cullens start has been okay rather then brilliant but these lads have moved from playing for Reading and Charlton to Feyenoord and Anderlecht respectively two big clubs in Holland and Belgium.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 4:15pm

They have featured for their respective clubs and of course there’s no guarantees but I was making the isolated point about those 3 that they had to deal with players with the CVs of Lallana and Walcott come in if they were at Mainz or Augsburg you can be a sure those clubs wouldn’t be able to afford to bring in players the calibre of Walcott or Lallana hence leading to a player with the profile of Molumby or Obafemi getting more of a run or more likely to get more of a run.

Germany was just an example as there is actual evidence that they are targeting the recruitment of British talent hence they have spotted this loophole. 
Ajax’s team last night was a case in point an awful lot of younger players scattered in the team as they don’t have the financial clout to go out and buy or pay the ready made article 70k a week either on a whim don’t mind 100k a week or more.

I do think we will benefit if young Irish players start expanding their horizons Cullen and Kelly are actually a real case in point for sure Kelly maybe didn’t work out well and Cullens start has been okay rather then brilliant but these lads have moved from playing for Reading and Charlton to Feyenoord and Anderlecht respectively two big clubs in Holland and Belgium.

But again that is all hypothetical, there is absolutely no guarantee they would which was my point because you can never assume anything in football, especially at the highest level.

Anyhow I'm parking this argument/debate from my side, it's ran it's course Thumbs Up

aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 2:38pm
Needs to get a loan move in January. It not enough just to get the odd game on the bench
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 57>
  Share Topic