You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jayson Molumby

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 57>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

well what older better players would you be playing instead then??
Maybe Kenny could show a bit of ingenuity - Doherty or Omobamidele. Calling up a perennial Championship benchwarmer with no games this year, no pre-season and a so-so record at senior international level would amount, at best, to little more then misplaced loyalty. 

As ideas go, that one is out there! Who do we play at RWB if we move Doherty into midfield, leaving aside the fact he has never played there at any level? Omobamidele is 19 learning his trade as a CB and you want to move him in to midfield. Ingenuity is one thing, but that just seems crazy to me. Knock Kenny all you want, he has made plenty of questionable decisions, but thankfully I cant see him going down this particular route.
Nothing crazy about it. There's a regular EPL centre back not even in the squad and Omobamidele is well capable of playing defensive midfield. Lawrenson and McGrath did so - and if Omobamidele is considered mature enough to face Ronaldo he's well capable of such responsibility. Doherty has proven his ability as an all-round utility player - left or right side. That versatility should be used. But you're right, Kenny hasn't gone down this crazy path - and his very crazy record reflects it. 
Doherty was one our best player in the last round over the three games - why would you consider moving him from his most effective position? Obobamidele may be a good prospect but McGrath or Lawrenson he is not.  Also this was tried with Cyrus Christie not so long ago & on that evidence it should be a no.
Sponsored Links

shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 12:58pm

Nothing crazy about it. There's a regular EPL centre back not even in the squad and Omobamidele is well capable of playing defensive midfield. Lawrenson and McGrath did so - and if Omobamidele is considered mature enough to face Ronaldo he's well capable of such responsibility. Doherty has proven his ability as an all-round utility player - left or right side. That versatility should be used. But you're right, Kenny hasn't gone down this crazy path - and his very crazy record reflects it. 

^^^ this manager just gets worse and worse - he won't even make crazy decisions and play players out of position like I suggest.. disgraceful.. 

this forum just keeps on giving! 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 1:14pm

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Robinson struggling for fitness so can't see it being two midfielders with two wide players supporting Idah. If Knight is fit he'll probably assume that more advanced role and push up at times to make it a front three especially when pressing. Just hope we don't get Connolly, Idah, and Parrott starting up front again like the last game.

When's the squad being named, Northern Ireland named there's this morning and think Wales are also naming theirs today.

While I appreciate Robinson may not be fully fit, imo it is a must win game for Kenny and I think he will see it that way also, so he may lean towards a more attacking line up. There aren't a lot of goals in the team and Knight wont help with that. Worth noting also that Knight has only started one game since his return and didn't finish it. He has 142 mins over 4 games since the last window vs Robinson's 133 mins also over 4 games. Robinson at least had a full pre-season whereas Knight didn't. In any case, Mc Grath could get the nod over both. 

Parrott absolutely didn't work to the right of the front 3 last time. I think it's either him or Idah (or Collins), not both.

Robinson has averaged 33mins a game since Covid. Unless he puts in back to back starts highly doubt he'll be in from the start against Azerbaijan.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 1:21pm

Originally posted by shakeyshamrock shakeyshamrock wrote:

^^^ this manager just gets worse and worse - he won't even make crazy decisions and play players out of position like I suggest.. disgraceful.. 

this forum just keeps on giving! 
Kenny did something right in Lisbon - then, crazily, undid what worked and delivered a shocker against Azerbaijan. Making "crazy decisions" like I, or you for that matter, suggest are not crazy in the current environment - it would be more challenging to do worse than Kenny.

You would be the first to lambast Kenny if he played Doherty in central midfield and we lost. As I said earlier, if you want to criticise Kenny to high heaven then knock yourself out, there's plenty of (real) ammo there rather than just making stuff up. Not selecting Clark for example is fair game.

Btw Doherty's versatility has been used under Kenny, he has played RB/RWB/LWB and LCB. He's not a central midfielder. Omobamidele is just starting out, comparisons with Mc Grath or Lawrenson are laughable at this stage. No doubt you'd also be knocking Kenny if he started a 19yo out of position as a CDM in a must win game.

You dont rate Kenny, we get it! For the record, no other manager worth his salt would be doing as you suggest.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 1:25pm

Robinson struggling for fitness so can't see it being two midfielders with two wide players supporting Idah. If Knight is fit he'll probably assume that more advanced role and push up at times to make it a front three especially when pressing. Just hope we don't get Connolly, Idah, and Parrott starting up front again like the last game.

When's the squad being named, Northern Ireland named there's this morning and think Wales are also naming theirs today.

While I appreciate Robinson may not be fully fit, imo it is a must win game for Kenny and I think he will see it that way also, so he may lean towards a more attacking line up. There aren't a lot of goals in the team and Knight wont help with that. Worth noting also that Knight has only started one game since his return and didn't finish it. He has 142 mins over 4 games since the last window vs Robinson's 133 mins also over 4 games. Robinson at least had a full pre-season whereas Knight didn't. In any case, Mc Grath could get the nod over both. 

Parrott absolutely didn't work to the right of the front 3 last time. I think it's either him or Idah (or Collins), not both.

Robinson has averaged 33mins a game since Covid. Unless he puts in back to back starts highly doubt he'll be in from the start against Azerbaijan.

Fair enough, I'm just pointing out that Knight has averaged 35mins a game since returning from a medium term injury and he missed pre-season, so the same doubts should apply to him.
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 2:00pm

Fair enough, I'm just pointing out that Knight has averaged 35mins a game since returning from a medium term injury and he missed pre-season, so the same doubts should apply to him.

They will if he gets little minutes off the bench, but he's already played 85mins in his second game back. Maybe that was bad management by Rooney and now he's easing him back in. Or again he just doesn't know how to utilise Knight best so brings him on as an impact sub.

Robinson started his second game but only managed 45 before they took him off at half time.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 2:28pm

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

well what older better players would you be playing instead then??
Maybe Kenny could show a bit of ingenuity - Doherty or Omobamidele. Calling up a perennial Championship benchwarmer with no games this year, no pre-season and a so-so record at senior international level would amount, at best, to little more then misplaced loyalty. 

As ideas go, that one is out there! Who do we play at RWB if we move Doherty into midfield, leaving aside the fact he has never played there at any level? Omobamidele is 19 learning his trade as a CB and you want to move him in to midfield. Ingenuity is one thing, but that just seems crazy to me. Knock Kenny all you want, he has made plenty of questionable decisions, but thankfully I cant see him going down this particular route.

Why exactly? Do you train with the squad? I can't comprehend how you can come to conclusion about a 19yo new to the international game.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 3:05pm
Because he's not worth his salt - ENTIRELY VALID OPINION

Coleman and Doherty had their best games when in the same side in Portugal.  - AGREED

So Kenny switches Coleman to a back-three and returns Doherty to the right against Azerbaijan - bizarre. - POSSIBLY AN ERROR IN HINDSIGHT, MAYBE COLEMAN DIDNT HAVE THE LEGS TO DO ANOTHER STINT AT RWB, MAYBE HE DIDNT WANT TO THROW OMABAMIDELE IN, NOT PARTICULARLY BIZARRE HOWEVER IN THE GRAND SCHEME OF THINGS, THERE WERE 3 GAMES IN 6 DAYS TO NAVIGATE

Also switches to a front three with Connolly and Parrott running around like headless chooks. - I'M NOT SURPRISED HE CHANGED FORMATION, PORTUGAL AWAY VS AZERBAIJAN AT HOME IS A VERY DIFFERENT ANIMAL. PARROTT IN PARTICULAR JUST DIDNT GET IN TO THE GAME PLAYING ON THE RHS OF THE THREE, I THINK HE IN PARTICULAR DIDNT WORK IN THAT POSITION, BUT THE FORMATION ITSELF WS FINE.

And I previously suggested Doherty for midfield - I HAVE NO IDEA WHY YOU THINK DOHERTY WOULD BE A GOOD FIT FOR MIDFIELD, ESPECIALLY WHEN KENNY HAS SETTLED ON A FORMATION THAT UTILISES WING BACKS, WHICH IS DOHERTY'S BEST POSITION BY A DISTANCE AND HE CAN ALSO PLAY EITHER FLANK.

- so the only KO around here is your derivative rhetoric, _ NOT DERIVATIVE< ALL MY OWN WORK THANKS

all said before - and without challenging War and Peace for verbiage. - I'LL TAKE THAT AS A COMPLIMENT Smile
Idah Dream!
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 6:10pm

Also switches to a front three with Connolly and Parrott running around like headless chooks. - I'M NOT SURPRISED HE CHANGED FORMATION, PORTUGAL AWAY VS AZERBAIJAN AT HOME IS A VERY DIFFERENT ANIMAL. PARROTT IN PARTICULAR JUST DIDNT GET IN TO THE GAME PLAYING ON THE RHS OF THE THREE, I THINK HE IN PARTICULAR DIDNT WORK IN THAT POSITION, BUT THE FORMATION ITSELF WS FINE.

There were huge issues with the formation for the Azerbaijan game.

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 8:44am

Looks like Molumby might get a chance to prove himself in the West Brom first team in the next few weeks.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

There were huge issues with the formation for the Azerbaijan game.

Not so much second time around though Smile Same formation no, just different personnel?
Idah Dream!
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 3:26pm
Yes the personnel changed. At the home match v Azeri, we had Doherty at RWB and Coleman at RCB, even though we had tried this before and it didnt work again... Also Connolly and Parrott didnt play well upfront in the home match, whereas we got goals from Robinson in the away match.

The biggest area of concern I have with Kenny is the tendency to get personnel decisions wrong. Horgan was another one on Sat night. I think it's not a good sign when we see a teamsheet an hour before a match and yet another rabbit seems to be pulled out of the hat. There should be consistency in selection

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

Yes the personnel changed. At the home match v Azeri, we had Doherty at RWB and Coleman at RCB, even though we had tried this before and it didnt work again... Also Connolly and Parrott didnt play well upfront in the home match, whereas we got goals from Robinson in the away match.

The biggest area of concern I have with Kenny is the tendency to get personnel decisions wrong. Horgan was another one on Sat night. I think it's not a good sign when we see a teamsheet an hour before a match and yet another rabbit seems to be pulled out of the hat. There should be consistency in selection

Twas a bit tongue in cheek tbh. As regards Horgan, I was also unhappy with his selection, I just dont see it with him and he's 29 now so not really open to improvement. However he rectified his error at half time and all in all I think he deserves some credit. 

I also think a lot of the criticism regarding consistency in team selection is ott, there has been a serious lack of continuity in the players available throughout his tenure and we have seen 3 game windows the last twice which undoubtedly had an effect on team selection given that several players weren't getting regular game time. Horgan was a surprise and not a good one imo, but I think most of us are now pretty certain about 9 or 10 of the starting XI. Worth pointing out also that Coleman, Knight and O'Shea were missing on Saturday all of whom would be likely to figure in our strongest XI.
Idah Dream!
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 2:03pm
With Mowatt out the next few weeks could be a massive opportunity for Molumby to get a run in a decent side and stake a claim. Ismaels style is tailor made for him so hopefully he does well and takes the opportunity. Big few weeks for him I'd argue of any Irish player he's top of my "hope he performs" list.

Edited by kevin100 - 13 Oct 2021 at 2:04pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

With Mowatt out the next few weeks could be a massive opportunity for Molumby to get a run in a decent side and stake a claim. Ismaels style is tailor made for him so hopefully he does well and takes the opportunity. Big few weeks for him I'd argue of any Irish player he's top of my "hope he performs" list.

Honestly, I hope youre right, but I just dont see it with him (yet at least!). He lacks tactical awareness and discipline and at times he just seems to run around a lot throwing himself into tackles. He's clearly got an engine, but does he have the game intelligence to go with it. Hopefully a good run of games in a settled position under a good manager in a decent team will allow me to assess him more fairly, but tbh I havent been impressed at all to date.
Idah Dream!
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 4:25pm

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Honestly, I hope youre right, but I just dont see it with him (yet at least!). He lacks tactical awareness and discipline and at times he just seems to run around a lot throwing himself into tackles. He's clearly got an engine, but does he have the game intelligence to go with it. Hopefully a good run of games in a settled position under a good manager in a decent team will allow me to assess him more fairly, but tbh I havent been impressed at all to date.

Think I said after the AZR home game there was a wiff of Mcclean off him lacks composure reckless. Now hes not playing probably mad keen to impress etc. He's a run of games now so hopefully he can play well.

He can play on the ball too he's proven that which is what made some of his loose touches against AZR frustrating. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 9:45pm
Millwall and Preston journos give their opinions on what Molumby can offer West Brom, as Mowatt faces spell on sidelines: https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/2021/10/12/inside-track-what-can-west-brom-expect-from-jayson-molumby/
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 7:02pm
Benched again tonight despite Mowatt absence, disappointing. CR7 starts however!
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 57>
  Share Topic