You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jayson Molumby

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 57>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I'd still class him as a top prospect for us. Hes rusty on the ball due to lack of games more than anything else. 

Hes got a lot of misplaced energy and finds himself out of position because of it.

Hes not a box to box player for me, he's a 6 and could be a very good one. Going forward he hasn't got the composure required in the final third.

He needs a good manager to give him good direction on the pitch and manage the role he plays in a team.

I dont think we'll see the best of him till he's 23+ but I think he should be in squads going forward.
don't really agree with this. He played attacking midfield for Preston last year and looked very, very good, was the best player on the pitch for one game against Birmingham if I recall. What he needs is a permanent move and a manager who is willing to have faith in him as a long term project. I worry the west brom move will not suit him. Their style if very much kick and rush and not something that plays into Molumbys excellent ability on the ball.

I remember that game and he was good, the following few games in the same position he was very poor I seem to remember and as a result lost his place. He wouldn't regain that place once lost for the rest of the season.

He didn't win back his place against some very very average championship players at Preston and I'm being generous.

He played holding role for the u21s when he captained the side and for Millwall when he looked like he'd kick on.

Edited by Left foot - 27 Sep 2021 at 5:02pm
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 5:17pm
Busy box to box midfielder for me, haven't seen any evidence of excellent ability on the ball tbh. An energetic 8, maybe a 6 if he has it in him to learn discipline on the pitch, never a 10 imo.
Idah Dream!
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 5:39pm
He will be in league 1 or 2 in no time. League of Ireland not long after. I think he's really poor 
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 6:54pm
Yeah I am far from convinced as well. Defo not Irish captain material, a million miles from this. Kenny has faith in him and he'll continue to be in squads because of that, but I'm not sure any other Irish manager would continue to pick a player who basically hasnt played competitive first team football since he left Milwall 2 seasons ago.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 7:17pm
He is young and can improve but should he be in the squad at the minute? Debateable. Another Kenny favourite who is being chosen on that basis and the basis he is young.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 7:25pm
By the Irish comment captain I was more so referring to the fact that he is a leader type on the pitch, vocal on the pitch and very passionate. I don't think he will be our best player but if he does become a regular starter for Ireland in future I think he would be a contender for captain.

Agree that I do not see him as an advanced midfielder. Doesn't have the discipline for a 6 role yet but long term I reckon that would be his best role. He is an energetic box to box at the moment but I don't think he will make it at the top end of the Championship if he doesn't refine his role. 
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

He is young and can improve but should he be in the squad at the minute? Debateable. Another Kenny favourite who is being chosen on that basis and the basis he is young.

With Cullen 1st choice in CM, it's the spot beside him that's up for grabs.

The current options are:
Molumby [Hasn't played much club football in the last 12 months, hasn't played yet for WBA]
Hendrick [Hasn't played much club football this year. Currently not playing at NU]
Arter [Hasn't played much club football this year. Just getting up & running at Charlton in L1. Injury prone.]
McCarthy [Hasn't played much football in the last 12 months. Just getting up & running at Celtic. Injury prone.]
Hourihane [Just getting up & running at SU. Not the most mobile.]

You have Browne & Knight there, too, who can play CM, but they're more AMs.

After that you're looking at bringing in new faces - Taylor, Doyle-Hayes, Coventry, Kilkenny - and there's issues with all of them either coming back from injury or illness or being brand new to senior football or barely playing.
I think Taylor or Doyle-Hayes would be most likely to get called up next from that group, but you obviously wouldn't be throwing them straight in to WCQs.

In short, yes Molumby should be in the squad.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 8:59pm
McCarthy and Arter should be phased out at this stage.

In relation to Molumby, he's suspended for the Azerbaijan game but I can see Kenny starting him at home to Qatar, that'll help his fitness etc..hopefully he starts to get a run in the WB side soon enough. He just has to be playing games at this stage, if he doesn't he needs to get out of WB and find a club that will play him.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

The current options are:
Molumby [Hasn't played much club football in the last 12 months, hasn't played yet for WBA]
Hendrick [Hasn't played much club football this year. Currently not playing at NU]
Arter [Hasn't played much club football this year. Just getting up & running at Charlton in L1. Injury prone.]
McCarthy [Hasn't played much football in the last 12 months. Just getting up & running at Celtic. Injury prone.]

After that you're looking at bringing in new faces - Taylor, Doyle-Hayes, Coventry, Kilkenny - and there's issues with all of them either coming back from injury or illness or being brand new to senior football or barely playing.
I think Taylor or Doyle-Hayes would be most likely to get called up next from that group, but you obviously wouldn't be throwing them straight in to WCQs.

Looking at those options in midfield doesn't fill me with confidence, adding to that Browne's form has been tragic.

Artur, mccarthy (for injury reasons) and hourihane need to be replaced as soon as possible hendrick can probably still offer something but that's not saying much.

Bringing in kilkenny or Taylor to the squad early might see benefits long term.

The barrell is well and truly being scrapped.
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 9:37pm
Jamie mcgrath and conor ronan keep developing as well as zack elbouzedi they could become further options

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

The current options are:

For me the midfielders should be Cullen, Knight, Browne, Hendrick, Hourihane, McGrath and Arter. Molumby had a decent loan spell a few years back and has done zero since. He hasn't impressed me one bit in an Irish shirt. Debateable if he should be in the squad for me. Possibly if you want 8 central midfielders he could be the last option. Sometimes I get the impression Kenny is just playing guys because they are young. And people seem to lap it up despite the absolute sh*tshow we are witnessing.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 10:03am
well what older better players would you be playing instead then??
I love beer gardens
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 11:30am
I think Cullen and Hendrick are shoo-ins to start vs Azerbaijan. One would assume he'll stick with 5 at the back, so its a question of whether he plays 5-2-3 with Connolly and Robinson to the left and right of either Idah, Parrott or Collins or a 5-3-2 in which case there is room for another midfielder, most probably either Knight or Mc Grath.

Looking forward to Qatar, I think he should rest Cullen who has played a lot of football this season. We know what he can do and he will start the November games if fit. We should have a look at somebody else in his position. I dont see the point in selecting Arter at this point, he's 32 in December, injury prone and playing L1 football. If Mc Carthy is fit, available and willing then he is the obvious choice, but that's a big if. If he's not available then Molumby or Jack Taylor are the ones in contention imo. I would leave Coventry with the U-21s for now - he is their captain and Taylor is starting ahead of him at Peterborough in any case. 

Hendrick might benefit from playing both games to make up for his lack of minutes at club level, given he will likely be needed in November also, so whichever one of Mc Grath/Knight doesnt start vs Azerbaijan should start vs Qatar. Browne (suspended for the Azeri game) and Hourihane are the other midfield options. Dunno whats going on with Browne, didnt even make the bench at the weekand and he has only managed 2 sub apps (27 mins) since the last window. Hourihane at least has ahd 1 start and 3 sub apps for a grand total of 106 minutes over the same period and a couple of assists, both from corners.

For me Cullen, Hendrick, Knight and Mc Grath are certs. After that it's anyone's guess. Mc Carthy may well be unavailable again, I dont see the point of Arter at this stage of the campaign. I'd have Jack Taylor back in the fold. That leaves Browne, Hourihane, Molumby - not the most exciting array of options to be sure. I'd still hold fire on the likes of Doyle Hayes and the U-21s, but Ronan mught be worth a shout given he is a CAM.
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 11:38am
Robinson struggling for fitness so can't see it being two midfielders with two wide players supporting Idah. If Knight is fit he'll probably assume that more advanced role and push up at times to make it a front three especially when pressing. Just hope we don't get Connolly, Idah, and Parrott starting up front again like the last game.

When's the squad being named, Northern Ireland named there's this morning and think Wales are also naming theirs today.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Maybe Kenny could show a bit of ingenuity - Doherty or Omobamidele. Calling up a perennial Championship benchwarmer with no games this year, no pre-season and a so-so record at senior international level would amount, at best, to little more then misplaced loyalty. 

As ideas go, that one is out there! Who do we play at RWB if we move Doherty into midfield, leaving aside the fact he has never played there at any level? Omobamidele is 19 learning his trade as a CB and you want to move him in to midfield. Ingenuity is one thing, but that just seems crazy to me. Knock Kenny all you want, he has made plenty of questionable decisions, but thankfully I cant see him going down this particular route.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 11:43am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Robinson struggling for fitness so can't see it being two midfielders with two wide players supporting Idah. If Knight is fit he'll probably assume that more advanced role and push up at times to make it a front three especially when pressing. Just hope we don't get Connolly, Idah, and Parrott starting up front again like the last game.

When's the squad being named, Northern Ireland named there's this morning and think Wales are also naming theirs today.

Thursday I beleive
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

While I appreciate Robinson may not be fully fit, imo it is a must win game for Kenny and I think he will see it that way also, so he may lean towards a more attacking line up. There aren't a lot of goals in the team and Knight wont help with that. Worth noting also that Knight has only started one game since his return and didn't finish it. He has 142 mins over 4 games since the last window vs Robinson's 133 mins also over 4 games. Robinson at least had a full pre-season whereas Knight didn't. In any case, Mc Grath could get the nod over both. 

Parrott absolutely didn't work to the right of the front 3 last time. I think it's either him or Idah (or Collins), not both.
Idah Dream!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

I just named 7 midfielders who I think should be ahead of him in the pecking order.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 57>
  Share Topic