You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jayson Molumby

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 57>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Molumby should study John McGinn's performance in Villa's defeat of Man United yesterday. Box-to-box, good control, passing and aggression. Terrific player. It's a role to which Molumby could aspire in a limited way. Currently, he deserves to be nowhere near the Irish squad - no club football this year, no pre-season, unwanted at Brighton, squad filler at so-so Preston and now a hopeful bench-warmer at WBA. He's only 21 (etc) but he has it all to do. 

That's an interesting comparison and McGinn is the type of player I'd like to see Molumby become, but I'm not sure he has the all round game for it to be honest. Molumby will give you the defensive side of it, the box to box running and the intensity, but McGinn is a far better player on the ball, especially in attacking positions. 

If we have a midfielder coming through at the moment who could go on to that level it's Knight. He will move in January, hopefully he finds the right club. Molumby I think will end up as more of a high energy defensive midfielder because, although he is keen to bring the ball forward, he's not great on the ball in attacking positions.
Sponsored Links

Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 9:54am
I agree with all that. It's obvious he played hurling in a lot of ways. He has the aggression, the blood and thunder style and the desire to drive forward. A lot of the younger crop have GAA backgrounds actually. Ogbene, Idah and O'Shea definitely - Douglas, Nemo and Jude's. O'Shea feels to me like the most comfortable football player and I think he would have been the most prodigious Gaelic talent of the lot based on some of the stories you'd hear about him racking up big scores in big games. 
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 10:49am
Molumby will come good, I am confident of it. He's in a difficult situation at the moment because he's two players ahead of him who have done nothing wrong. Whether its through injury or a drop in form, he will get a chance and once he's in there I think he will be very hard to dislodge. He has got such a good engine but is technically so good on the ball too.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 12:53pm
I think Molumby is pretty decent but he simply needs games. 

My big concern with him is that he's a persistent fouler and like Arter at times crashes into tackles recklessly where he could nearly do as much injury to himself as the opponent he's tackling. 

Hopefully if he gets a decent run of games it might iron out and improve that negative aspect to his game. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
The U View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 1:07pm
He's next in line at CM and will get games through rotation (especially with WBA's current high intensity style) and the fact there will be injuries, suspensions and it's a long season. Livermore already has 3 yellow and similar to Molumby in playing/tackling on the edge
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I think Molumby is pretty decent but he simply needs games. 

My big concern with him is that he's a persistent fouler and like Arter at times crashes into tackles recklessly where he could nearly do as much injury to himself as the opponent he's tackling. 

Hopefully if he gets a decent run of games it might iron out and improve that negative aspect to his game. 

I said on here a few weeks ago there was a genuine whiff of James Mcclean about him for Ireland just rash no thought at times. 

I'd cut him some slack in that he hasn't played much recently. His touch can be very loose too that's just heedlessness as much as lack of ability he just needs to tighten up his first touch. Ability on the ball he has shown it. 

I was adamant about him returning to Millwall on loan last year Brighton kept him and they really should have sent him back Millwall were begging for him back.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 1:13pm
True. Livermore and Mowat are top players at that level and first choice picks but the sheer number and pressure of games means inevitable injuries and suspensions. Molumby was brought in as cover and he will need to impress when his chance comes around.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 1:26pm
Is he suspended for the Azerbaijan game?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 1:30pm
Yes himself and Browne.

I don't think Molumby should be considered until he starts playing games for this club.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Yes himself and Browne.

I don't think Molumby should be considered until he starts playing games for this club.

Its not like his alternatives are playing much ball either, Hendrick has yet to play for Newcastle too.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Yes himself and Browne.

Its not like his alternatives are playing much ball either, Hendrick has yet to play for Newcastle too.

But Hendrick has 11 years of experience behind him. 5 of those in the EPL.

Molumby hasn't really played any games since his Millwall days 2 years ago now. At least he has time on his side.

Edited by horsebox - 26 Sep 2021 at 3:53pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 6:09pm

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Yes himself and Browne.

But Hendrick has 11 years of experience behind him. 5 of those in the EPL.

Molumby hasn't really played any games since his Millwall days 2 years ago now. At least he has time on his side.

Experience counts for f**k when it comes to match fitness and sharpness though, they've both played as little as each other since the turn of the year.

Realistically we'll probably need to call upon both because the other options are just as bad, Hourihane isn't playing all that much more and when he is he isn't setting the world alight. McCarthy went off injured today.

The only 2 playing on a regular basis are Cullen and Knight.

Edited by Bandwagon - 26 Sep 2021 at 6:09pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 6:24pm
Agree with many on this. Players ideally need to be playing regularly before going into internationals. 

Sadly Molumby seems to have gone backwards in his development. Still very young so time is very much on his side.

The more players in the first team squad that aren't playing the more we'll struggle.

Likely team looks like this --

Bazunu - playing 

Doherty - not playing 

Duffy - playing 
Egan - playing 
Omobamidele - not playing 

Mcclean - playing 

Cullen - playing 
Hendrick - not playing 
Knight - not playing but coming back from injury 

Idah - not playing 
Robinson - playing 

I have it at 5 not playing and 6 playing. 5 not playing is way too much. You could excuse one or two but half the outfield team...
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Agree with many on this. Players ideally need to be playing regularly before going into internationals. 

Sadly Molumby seems to have gone backwards in his development. Still very young so time is very much on his side.

The more players in the first team squad that aren't playing the more we'll struggle.

Likely team looks like this --

Bazunu - playing 

Doherty - not playing 

Duffy - playing 
Egan - playing 
Omobamidele - not playing 

Mcclean - playing 

Cullen - playing 
Hendrick - not playing 
Knight - not playing but coming back from injury 

Idah - not playing 
Robinson - playing 

I have it at 5 not playing and 6 playing. 5 not playing is way too much. You could excuse one or two but half the outfield team...

Robinson has averaged 33 mins over the last four games, good chance he might not start. Covid has hit him bad,so I think we'll see Idah and Connolly starting up front.
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 7:29pm
It could still go either way for Molumby, he could be a future Ireland captain or he may never get much further than the lower half of the Championship. His aggression is a strength in my opinion, but agree that he can be a little bit too reckless. I get the sense that sometimes he is too eager to impress when playing for Ireland and can end up running around a bit like a headless chicken, but most of his performances for the u21s were superb.

It's concerning that he hasn't featured yet for WBA but I'm sure he will get his chance, whether he impresses enough in those games to stake his claim for a regular spot will be another story.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

It could still go either way for Molumby, he could be a future Ireland captain or he may never get much further than the lower half of the Championship. His aggression is a strength in my opinion, but agree that he can be a little bit too reckless. I get the sense that sometimes he is too eager to impress when playing for Ireland and can end up running around a bit like a headless chicken, but most of his performances for the u21s were superb.

It's concerning that he hasn't featured yet for WBA but I'm sure he will get his chance, whether he impresses enough in those games to stake his claim for a regular spot will be another story.

What concerns me is that he hasn't really kicked on since a decent spell in the Championship a couple of seasons ago and a decent U21 campaign. There's a lot of poorly directed aggression in his game, which is a concern and he definitely lacks composure (certainly at senior level). I absolutely don't see a future Irish captain in him, but he has good energy, he just needs to use it in a more controlled manner.

There are lads like Jack Taylor, Coventry, Kilkenny, Doyle-Hayes coming through now, that he'd have been well ahead of in the pecking order 12 months ago, but not so much now. Potter has effectively dispensed with him - he needs games to put himself back in the picture. Having said that, I'd still have him in the next squad and give him minutes vs Qatar. I don't think dropping him completely would do anything for his confidence and lads like Kilkenny and Coventry should continue with the U-21s for now imo. We can revisit for the March friendlies. There are certainly a couple of places in the squad up for grabs in our midfield with really only Cullen, Hendrick (who also needs games) and a fit Knight assured of selection.
Idah Dream!
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 4:42pm
I'd still class him as a top prospect for us. Hes rusty on the ball due to lack of games more than anything else. 

Hes got a lot of misplaced energy and finds himself out of position because of it.

Hes not a box to box player for me, he's a 6 and could be a very good one. Going forward he hasn't got the composure required in the final third.

He needs a good manager to give him good direction on the pitch and manage the role he plays in a team.

I dont think we'll see the best of him till he's 23+ but I think he should be in squads going forward.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I'd still class him as a top prospect for us. Hes rusty on the ball due to lack of games more than anything else. 

Hes got a lot of misplaced energy and finds himself out of position because of it.

Hes not a box to box player for me, he's a 6 and could be a very good one. Going forward he hasn't got the composure required in the final third.

He needs a good manager to give him good direction on the pitch and manage the role he plays in a team.

I dont think we'll see the best of him till he's 23+ but I think he should be in squads going forward.
don't really agree with this. He played attacking midfield for Preston last year and looked very, very good, was the best player on the pitch for one game against Birmingham if I recall. What he needs is a permanent move and a manager who is willing to have faith in him as a long term project. I worry the west brom move will not suit him. Their style if very much kick and rush and not something that plays into Molumbys excellent ability on the ball.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 57>
  Share Topic