You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How much do you stick in a wedding card?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 33>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

The logic of this astounds me, so apologies for continuing to ask questions! Why do you not give money if traveling abroad? Do the couple get the food for free outside of Ireland?

It's generally far far cheaper for catering outside of Ireland and there's a lot of expoense involved in travelling. It's hardly rocket science.

Are you married, PM? If so, was getting the cost of everyone's dinner covered one of your main goals of the day?
Not yet, but I have a very different view of the purpose of a wedding, indeed of marriage itself,  that's why all this is so mad to me. I have gone to a couple of Irish weddings and they made me very uncomfortable, partly because of the expense, partly because of my own social anxiety and largely because they feel competitive.  I just don't get it. The expense for the guest in Ireland seemed very high, I am not sure it would be that much more expensive going abroad and you at least get a trip out of it. I had an aunt who got married in Rome when I was a kid, it was lovely and cost very little. Comparatively at least.

The whole thing blows my mind, it's completely outside my remit of comprehension.I do enjoy the language used around them though, it is wonderfully bizarre.

Would agree. Everything around Irish weddings is bizarre, from the cost of the venues to the expected payments made by guests. This is surely something that has only taken hold in the last 20 years or so, the fact that everybody expects a guest to pony up 200 euros per couple?

I'll hold my hand up and say I'm a hypocrite because I have plenty of times in the last few years given such money to the bride and groom. It just feels like the whole wedding day becomes about the wrong thing at times.

I've a few friends who've gone abroad either by themselves, or with a handful of close family to get married in recent years. It seems much closer to what I would think the whole thing should be about. Or am I in a small minority that thinks there's an awful sense of keeping up with the Jones' about Irish weddings?
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Or am I in a small minority that thinks there's an awful sense of keeping up with the Jones' about Irish weddings?

No, you’re totally spot on.

The wedding receptions that used be held in pubs are now in hotels, and the hotel weddings are now being held in country houses, and repurposed castles. The hotels have responded by reducing the price PP, but often on the basis of a certain number of guests, while the houses are charging top dollar as they can, as there is the demand.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 1:45pm

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

There seems to be an expectation amongst some posters about what they are entitled to at their wedding. Even the most useless gift I received was not going to be criticised, as nobody has to get you anything.
It seems like it is budgeted. You invite 200 people, at 150 a head you have 30k. The 'average' wedding price. So you get the guests to pay for your choices. It is kind of brilliant in a way, but self-defeating when they have to pay for everybody else's wedding.

I have always struggled with the notion of Christmas and birthday presents too and this seems remarkably similar. You all spend roughly same amount on each other and everybody breaks even. It seems utterly pointless, but if it makes people happy...

€30k is nowhere near average. We had 240 at ours due to large tight knit extended families and a few circles of good friends. Cost is €15k and we did the whole canapés, string quartet included with the hotel, full band, DJ etc. It was ten year back but it's not doubled since then. You'd be going way OTT for 30k imo. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 1:49pm
That’s what I got online. Apologies if it is wrong, it felt low based on what I heard the last time I was in Ireland and you reckon it is high. Whatever it is, it seems far too much to me! Each to their own though!
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

I had no expectations of covering my costs but probably recovered 40% through cash gifts and was more than happy with that. Average gift was about €100 per head.

I wouldn't go to a wedding if I wasn't prepared to give a gift. It is bad manners, just like not getting your round in.

Sligo Hornet take note
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 1:56pm
100 on my own 150 a couple is generally what I do.  If you can't go to a wedding do you give something? Previously I gave a gift voucher for a restaurant 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

100 on my own 150 a couple is generally what I do.  If you can't go to a wedding do you give something? Previously I gave a gift voucher for a restaurant 
LOL
Just when I think I have a semblance of understanding...
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 2:01pm
usually just take some cash out on my credit card :)
AKA pedantic kunt
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

There seems to be an expectation amongst some posters about what they are entitled to at their wedding. Even the most useless gift I received was not going to be criticised, as nobody has to get you anything.
It seems like it is budgeted. You invite 200 people, at 150 a head you have 30k. The 'average' wedding price. So you get the guests to pay for your choices. It is kind of brilliant in a way, but self-defeating when they have to pay for everybody else's wedding.

I have always struggled with the notion of Christmas and birthday presents too and this seems remarkably similar. You all spend roughly same amount on each other and everybody breaks even. It seems utterly pointless, but if it makes people happy...

€30k is nowhere near average. We had 240 at ours due to large tight knit extended families and a few circles of good friends. Cost is €15k and we did the whole canapés, string quartet included with the hotel, full band, DJ etc. It was ten year back but it's not doubled since then. You'd be going way OTT for 30k imo. 

Costs have shot up year on year. 10 years ago we were in the throes of a recession and weddings cost a lot less. If you look up the price per head on the website of the place you got married, I would bet it is not far off double what you paid. Certainly at least 50% increase.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

That’s entirely up to the guest. Sure some guests won’t even return the RSVP!
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 2:48pm
Another amusing thing here is people keeping a list of what they have received and from whom, fck me pink if that is not some sort of sense of entitlement I don’t know what is, something a real pair of hungry coonts would do in my book.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Another amusing thing here is people keeping a list of what they have received and from whom, fck me pink if that is not some sort of sense of entitlement I don’t know what is, something a real pair of hungry coonts would do in my book.

Thank you cards.

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 2:56pm

A real hungry pair of coonts wouldn't have a big wedding in the first place due to the cost
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 2:56pm

Thank you cards.

Is that not what wedding invites are for with RSVP, I mean you do not keep a list of the monies , you are hardly going to reply with thanks for the 200 or thanks for the 50 you miserable coont, is it not standard to just say thank you for the card or gift ?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

A real hungry pair of coonts wouldn't have a big wedding in the first place due to the cost
But you are wrong it has become a oneupmanship for a lot of couples, they don’t want to be seen scrimping on a shoestring therefore they go out of their budget 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 2:58pm

Thank you cards.

Is that not what wedding invites are for with RSVP, I mean you do not keep a list of the monies , you are hardly going to reply with thanks for the 200 or thanks for the 50 you miserable coont, is it not standard to just say thank you for the card or gift ?

Etiquette would suggest you should acknowledge the gift in the card specifically to acknowledge receipt for the giver.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 3:02pm
As we only give money to the couple we have only ever gotten the thank you for the card reply, and knowing the people’s weddings we were at I can definitely say they would not have kept a list of who gave how much to them
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 3:36pm
sounds like some couples keep better records than some organizations :) 
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 33>
  Share Topic