You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Football 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 85>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

The whinging from certain sections of the Carlow crowd over losing to Laois yesterday Wacko

They just simply aren't capable of scoring from play (bar the odd exception) when Paul Broderick is kept quiet.

I have great respect for where that group of players have come from, they were a laughing stock 18 months ago and have restored pride in the Carlow jersey but my god the local media and large elements of their support are deluded.

Carlow play a horrendous brand of football that is grinding out results at the moments, in the short term its great but as we can see throughout Ireland more and more teams are adopting this brand of football and it'll all end in tears if they like other teams don't learn to adapt and play a more expansive brand.

Dr Cullen is a very tight pitch, Tyrone won't have the pockets of space they would be used to in the likes of Clones/Croker.
Is it much of a walk from Carlow train station to Dr Cullen Park?
No its not too bad, about 20 minutes would do it. Just come out of the train station, turn left down to the main road and left again. Will bring you straight to it
Any watering holes enroute?

No pubs near the ground, the closest pubs are the Irishmans and Carpe Diem which are just across from The Courthouse (only a 10 minute walk from the train station)

The Irishmans will be packed with Carlow fans, so you'll get a good atmosphere in there.

The walk upto the ground is no more than 15/20 minutes from the pubs. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 9:04pm
https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/google-to-challenge-amazon-in-irish-market-with-launch-of-its-smart-speakers-here-37031869.html

Quote There’s even a sly dig at County Mayo. Using the phrase “okay Google, Mayo for Sam?” elicits the response: “yeah, right.”

LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 5:09pm

Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

The whinging from certain sections of the Carlow crowd over losing to Laois yesterday Wacko

They just simply aren't capable of scoring from play (bar the odd exception) when Paul Broderick is kept quiet.

I have great respect for where that group of players have come from, they were a laughing stock 18 months ago and have restored pride in the Carlow jersey but my god the local media and large elements of their support are deluded.

Carlow play a horrendous brand of football that is grinding out results at the moments, in the short term its great but as we can see throughout Ireland more and more teams are adopting this brand of football and it'll all end in tears if they like other teams don't learn to adapt and play a more expansive brand.

Dr Cullen is a very tight pitch, Tyrone won't have the pockets of space they would be used to in the likes of Clones/Croker.
Is it much of a walk from Carlow train station to Dr Cullen Park?
No its not too bad, about 20 minutes would do it. Just come out of the train station, turn left down to the main road and left again. Will bring you straight to it
Any watering holes enroute?

No pubs near the ground, the closest pubs are the Irishmans and Carpe Diem which are just across from The Courthouse (only a 10 minute walk from the train station)

The Irishmans will be packed with Carlow fans, so you'll get a good atmosphere in there.

The walk upto the ground is no more than 15/20 minutes from the pubs. 
Green Devil, few of the lads are meeting up in the Dinn Ri on Tullow Street. This spot any good, likely to get a crowd?

Edited by bogball88 - 21 Jun 2018 at 5:09pm
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 5:15pm
Dinn Ri is the biggest pub in the town and is right in the middle. Not sure what it's like on match days but has a great beer garden.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 11:25am
Imteresting article in the irish news during the week about the training regime rory gallagher has implemented into fermanagh.

"FORMER Cavan footballer and Sydney-based Aussie Rules coach Nicholas Walsh is the man behind Fermanagh’s radical fitness regime.

The Irish News can reveal Walsh has been working with manager Rory Gallagher and his backroom team from pre-season and his aim was to make Fermanagh “one of the fittest teams in the country”.

Walsh and Gallagher were team-mates when the latter transferred to Cavan in 2007.

The first contact with Walsh was made towards the end of last year through Fermanagh coach Ryan McMenamin who floated the idea of the highly regarded AFL coach devising and co-ordinating a training programme from his Sydney base.

Walsh suggested to Gallagher in late September, that in order for Fermanagh to compete in the Ulster Championship and All-Ireland series, they needed to do “something extreme” in fitness terms.

Walsh, who was a key player in Cavan during the mid-Noughties, says the training programme was designed to have the Fermanagh players in peak physical condition for late June.

Speaking from Sydney, Walsh explained: “When I spoke to Rory he said he’d taken over in Fermanagh and wanted to try and win an Ulster title. That was the big target, obviously.

“He said he wanted to push the Fermanagh players as hard as he could and he asked me for my thoughts.

“After three or four conversations I said I’d be happy to get involved. I felt if Fermanagh wanted to be successful they’d have to do something that other managers haven’t done in the past.

“Many managers go with the normal remit of a couple of weights sessions per week, a couple of field sessions per week and let’s compete in the Ulster Championship and see how far we go type of thing.

“The programme we came up with was a little bit extreme because I said to Rory we’re not going to do the stock standard. What we will do, we’ll get the boys as fit as possible for June 24 – and this was back in September.

“It was going to take a lot of work, a lot of conversations with individuals and we took it from there.”

Walsh was development officer with Cavan GAA for five years before making the move to Australia where he’s been working with Greater Western Sydney Giants – the AFL’s newest franchise – for the last seven seasons.

The club finished second and third in their last two AFL campaigns.

Walsh’s job title at the Giants is Head of Development and Rehabilitation and has been defence coaching for the last couple of seasons.

Since hooking up with the Fermanagh footballers, Walsh has been in constant contact with Gallagher and his assistants, via WhatsApp and Face-time, in overseeing the squad’s training programme.

“I said to Rory: ‘We need somebody in Fermanagh that we can train up so in a year or two’s time Fermanagh have someone on the ground that is able to deliver something like the programme we’re implementing now.’

“We’ve got two really good guys working there now – Leon Carters and Niall McCann. They’re basically volunteers who have given up their time to do this. I probably liaise with those guys twice a week, as well as Rory. Leon is basically rolling out the plan.

“In order for us to be successful, Fermanagh had to do two things: one, we needed a big cultural change and that was up to Rory. And the other thing was we had to become one of the fittest teams in the competition, in Ireland.

“It was about trying to get everybody on the same page and playing for Fermanagh. And on the back of that we could get everyone as fit as possible.”

Walsh collated all the GPS numbers and with the help of nutritionist Sharon Courtney – who plays for Monaghan ladies – and Carters and McCann, they went to work.

The Fermanagh players had pre-Christmas targets of reducing their body fat to 10 per cent. Walsh reduced weights sessions and introduced more running into the players’ workloads.

“When I played I was pushed to do a lot of weights and that was in the latter part of my career,” Walsh said.

“I physically broke down. I don’t know if it was directly down to that.

“I didn’t take the weights out completely of the Fermanagh programme, instead I introduced a little cheat factor, where you would build in plyometrics.

“Pre-April, we were doing a non-running metabolic, conditioning session – a boxing session a couple of nights a week which is a way of cheating: the body is working but you’re working it in such a way that you’re saving the legs.”

While there is a “massive focus on running and recovery”, Walsh insists that Fermanagh's fitness programme is “not sustainable” over a long period.

“You might get a couple of years out of it, but you’d build a really good base. [Longer term] The body wouldn’t be able to cope with it.”

However, by successfully reducing players’ body fat and with a keen focus on rest and recovery, Fermanagh haven’t encountered many muscle injuries.

“From November to mid-January our speed blocks never went above 80 per cent,” Walsh explained.

“We steadily built that up and it’s a case of unleashing the beast, as it were, in order to get that muscular fatigue into the legs and that muscular response to enable the players to go quick all the time. And that’s where you become really, really fit in my mind.”

Walsh predicted the Fermanagh players would suffer some fatigue around the end of March and early April, which coincided with their Division Three League final defeat to Armagh.

But come their Ulster Championship meeting with the Orchard men towards the end of May, Fermanagh were flying fit and repeated the dose in their shock semi-final win over Monaghan.

Fermanagh’s counter-attacking system demands extremely high output from their players – particularly among the middle eight – with some of them reaching 13km and 14km per game.

“I look at the quality of the running we’re doing,” Walsh said.

“What’s are sprint metres? Some of the Fermanagh players were covering over 1km of sprint distance – and that is a high output.”

During a trip home to attend his brother’s wedding before Christmas, Walsh attended a Fermanagh training session to see at first hand the work the players had undertaken.

“There have been dramatic changes in terms of body shape over the course of the season because I’ve seen footage of how the players have developed.”

“People might think this is extreme in terms of how we’ve gone about our training systems.

“Is it ideal for every club and county? Probably not. But for Fermanagh it’s the best we could do to get them as one of the fittest teams in Ireland.”

If Fermanagh get over the line against Donegal on Sunday, a Sydney-based Cavan Gaels man will have played a key role in seeing the Ernemen make history."

All of that sounds great but the most important thing in the game is still putting the ball over the bar and ibto the net and seeing as they have only 1:13 from play and 1:20 in total from 2 games it seems like rory is again neglecting that aspect of things just like he did with Donegal for 3 years 

the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 11:41am
Donegal will cover the hcap tomorrow. Fermanagh are muck
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Donegal will cover the hcap tomorrow. Fermanagh are muck

Some think im being overconfident but i think we beat them well tomorrow we have so many scoring threats this year dont know how they can stop them all. We are also scoring alot more goals this year with 6 in our 3 championship games to date

Edited by ringerbell - 23 Jun 2018 at 4:50pm
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 4:12pm
Waterford 0:09
Monaghan 5:21
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 5:32pm
Mayo brutal so far and terrible goalkeeping for the Tipp goal. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 7:04pm
No full house in Cork for the Munster final. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 9:06pm
Was it a case of classy Kerry or just very poor from Cork?
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Kerry were ruthless throughout. Cork couldn't live with them but they more or less waved the white flag with half an hour to go.
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

It's an Al-Ireland contender against a Division 2 side.

Result was expected by anyone who'd seen these teams play. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Bo Jackson Bo Jackson wrote:

Kerry were ruthless throughout. Cork couldn't live with them but they more or less waved the white flag with half an hour to go.

Its quite extraordinary how far Cork have fallen since 2010. I remember somebody saying to me at the time that they expected Cork to be the dominant force in football after breaking the cycle of years of failure. I disagreed, as I felt they had made much harder work of very new and generally inexperienced Dublin team in the semi final, who were playing to a very restrictive system, and in the end only won the final by a single point to a Down team, which was a bit of an unknown quantity . However, I never expected their fall to be so far. Almost a decade later I suspect they would struggle to be ranked in the Top 8.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 2:13pm
Arlene is in Clones I see Shocked
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Arlene is in Clones I see Shocked
to Foster new beginnings
Jerryfromkerry View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerryfromkerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 2:45pm
Can't wait until the Super 8s and a probable away semi final against Dublin.  
No man has the right to fix the boundary to the march of a nation. No man has the right to say to his country “thus far shalt thou go and no further"
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 2:52pm
The Super 8's will be a steaming pile of sh*t. I hope it is a resounding failure this year that they revert back again to the previous format next year.
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 85>
  Share Topic