Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Young Talent Emerging

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 16>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 11:08am
Yer man Woodburn actually played a few games for the Liverpool senior team before he got the Wales call up.

He wouldn't have gotten a call up otherwise.

Sponsored Links

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Who was Robbie Brady released by ? Was he somewhere before Man United that nobody is aware of ??
St, Kevin Boys Academy
Shanowen Road
Santry
Dublin 9

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Who was Robbie Brady released by ? Was he somewhere before Man United that nobody is aware of ??
St, Kevin Boys Academy
Shanowen Road
Santry
Dublin 9

I somehow doubt St Kevin's "released" him.

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 12:06pm
Glenn Whelan, Shay Given and Anthony Stokes

More players who were released by big clubs and went on to play for the Ireland senior team

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Glenn Whelan, Shay Given and Anthony Stokes

More players who were released by big clubs and went on to play for the Ireland senior team

OK, so in each of the years that those players were released by their clubs, how many other Irish players were released by other top level clubs and didn't go on to play for Ireland ?
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 12:14pm

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

St, Kevin Boys Academy
Shanowen Road
Santry
Dublin 9
I somehow doubt St Kevin's "released" him.
He got caught stealing Jeff Hendrick's bus fare.
True story.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 12:14pm
No idea. I was just treating it as a quiz question

Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 9:58pm
sounds like an urban myth
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by shanemuc shanemuc wrote:

Can someone explain the abuse this poster has received  over this topic ? The absolute snobbish carry on of some people on here is truly pathetic, bitter and down right hostile. Best fans in the world yea

Oh somebody report him to the "mods" really get a life. The poster is right we need to search out and at least invite these young talented players to be around rather than a Paul Mc Shane, Paul Green or a jet lagged has been in Kevin Doyle. There is always the potential to unearth a gem. Real didely Irish backward thinking people seriously.

Everyone has an opinion, and most on here will engage in a discussion about football & Irish players. 

Personally, I would prefer if that discussion, or discussions, had some tenuous links with reality. This one is merely the latest example of one that doesn't. It is pretty much established in football that lads go to an academy, the reserves, the LOI, a lower division team and work their way upwards from there. After an amount of senior appearances, and this bit varies from player to player, the international manager calls him into squad, and maybe eventually team. Again, this is pretty much established football practice. 

There are exceptions, Robbie Keane scored 2 goals for Wolves on his debut at 17, his talent was such that his form demanded an early call up. Ben Woodburn is getting a bit of attention, but he has been a big prospect at Liverpool for years, and has played a few first team games. The fact Klopp has picked him to do this suggests he is getting close to making that break from reserve to first team squad member. Chris Coleman has simply run with that, and used him as a sub for Wales, probably reasoning that if he is good enough for the fringes of the Liverpool squad, he is good enough to be a sub for a nation not exactly stocked with prolific centre forwards (bar one fella). The important thing to note here is that lads like these are exceptions. 

Lets go with McCauley for a minute. Fine, he is in great form. Maybe he is indeed the next Robbie Keane. So let's pick him. Next thing, why stop there ? How about Man U's Kevin O'Connor, also doing very well ?? How about Kieran O'Hara the Man U keeper who has made their Champions League squad ?? Declan Rice ? Yeah, why not. Josh Cullen as well. And therin is exactly the issue, where does it stop ? 

Do we take to the field V Wales or Moldova with a team of U21s ?? Do we call up 1 of them, 2 of them, 16 of them to the next squad ? Who gets dropped ?? How many do we drop ? What are the chances (I'll give you a big clue, its in decimal points, with a load of zeros in front of the number) of any of this actually happening ?? Absolutely fcuk all is the short, blunt answer, so posts like these are about as relevant as putting up what you think might be Friday night's lotto numbers, or what ya had for tea this evening. 

One of my issues with this section is that there are more posts about fellas who don't play for us than those that do, and because I'm something of a realist, I'd prefer if people were talking about realistic candidates who might play for us in the near future than prospects in 3,4,5 years time. There is, as Green Devil pointed out, an existing thread for these lads anyway, it too features more lads that will never play for us than those that eventually will. 

There is also the fact, and maybe the OP is/was not aware of this, that this section has been spammed to death by similar stupid posts by trolls, one fella managed to get a thread on Rangers Rob Kiernan (probably the 43rd choice CB for us) to 20 pages, and every bit of it complete bollix. Stick about long enough and you will get fed up of it too. 

If the banning suggestion isn't been run with, I'd suggest an entire seperate section for these 'prospects' (most of whom are anything but), so that the 7 or 8 lads who enjoy talking about fantasy teams, how many Grannies an English lad with a vaguely sounding Irish name playing in League 2 might have, which Irish player has the fifth most assists in League 1, or what will be our team (and, of course, formation, that bit is important too) for the World Cup, the one after Qatar that is, as I presume they have 2022 sorted already, can chat away amongst themselves. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 12:12am
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

There it is, the post which confirms that this place is completely f**ked.

(Highly talented, we all know, but he is not the solution at this point. Surely that is clear).

Wah still whinging like a menstrual Russian babuska I see Dead
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Peter Stöger Peter Stöger wrote:

(Highly talented, we all know, but he is not the solution at this point. Surely that is clear).

I removed your suspension last week. And already you're back on annoying me!

Should have left you on the sidelines. I'll let this personal abuse slide. But next time, you're gone again, this time for good.Thumbs Up

Edited by rolo - 15 Sep 2017 at 12:20am
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 12:34am
Put me out of me misery Rolo
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 11:10am

Should have left you on the sidelines. I'll let this personal abuse slide. But next time, you're gone again, this time for good.Thumbs Up
Is it not borderline racist as well as personal?
Wah View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

You flute Embarrassed
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Wah Wah wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

You flute Embarrassed
Good man Stoger....off ye go..
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 10:51am
I am defo going to need a bigger bus
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 11:15am
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

I am defo going to need a bigger bus

LOL
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 10:34am
Ireland 16s playing Brazil 15s today. Interesting but a bad kick off time 3pm AUL
Can Brazil do it on a wet windy Wednesday in North Dublin?
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 16>
  Share Topic