Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Young Talent Emerging

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 16>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 8:00pm
Nigerians don't speak with an english accent, Dubliners certainly don't so how exactly could Irish-Nigerians speak with an english accent(specifically London in his case) without having grown up there???
Sponsored Links

dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 8:12pm
Any Nigerian young lads I know have strong Dublin accents . I do think they lose there accents a lot quicker though when they move.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Nigerians don't speak with an english accent, Dubliners certainly don't so how exactly could Irish-Nigerians speak with an english accent(specifically London in his case) without having grown up there???

Because they choose to? Accent is at the end of the day a matter of choice, and the Irish-Nigerian community is perhaps heavily influenced by the English-Nigerian community, hence the accent crossover. I know loads of fellas born and bred in Dublin who don't speak with a Dublin accent, and I know people from down the country who speak with a psuedo-D4 accent. It's not unusual, it's simply a matter of how people present themselves to others.
We're decent enough..
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 3:29am
I could choose to put on a Russian accent (which I happen to do pretty well) but I don't think I could keep it up full time! Foreign footballers who move to England don't suddenly start sounding english, though they may develop a kind of hybrid accent after a few years but more so if english isn't their first language. You speak by default according to where you were brought up not by consciously deciding to pick an accent, unless you are some kind of method actor playing a role.
Why can't our plastics have the decency to fake a Dublin or Cork accent then when they are doing their interviews for RTE then, show us where their heart is?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 4:14am
Dubs are Brits, so the confusion is understandable.
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 8:34am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

😂
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

I could choose to put on a Russian accent (which I happen to do pretty well) but I don't think I could keep it up full time! Foreign footballers who move to England don't suddenly start sounding english, though they may develop a kind of hybrid accent after a few years but more so if english isn't their first language. You speak by default according to where you were brought up not by consciously deciding to pick an accent, unless you are some kind of method actor playing a role.
Why can't our plastics have the decency to fake a Dublin or Cork accent then when they are doing their interviews for RTE then, show us where their heart is?

You clearly don't understand how accent works/develops then. If it was a "default setting" then everyone in the world would speak with exactly the same accent as it would never have changed since the dawn of time. Accent is subject to cultural influence and personal choice. Irish-Nigerians represent a cultural "sub-group" and many have therefore developed their own accent, much like Irish-Americans, Italian-Americans etc. developed their own distinctive accents in the various cities they moved too. I'd suggest the reason some Irish-Nigerians speak with a London-twang is due to the influence of London Grime culture which they consciously choose to emulate, much like many young people in Ireland choose to emulate an Americanised accent by virtue of the cultural content they've been exposed to. I don't know whether Obamfemi did grow up in England or not, he may well have, but the mere fact he speaks with a London-sounding accent isn't proof that he did.

Edited by The O'Shea - 16 Dec 2017 at 10:28am
We're decent enough..
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 10:57am

Eh 1. Yous f**kers didn't lift a finger during the rising.
2. Your fella signed the treaty that partitioned the island
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 10:58am
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 11:16am
I've never heard an Irish-nigerian with an English twang. Did Nyone see that lad on the late late a few weeks ago basketball player . Brought up in Clondalkin African family moved to New York 2 years ago and has full on New York accent not a hint of Dub. Very Cringey
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 11:37am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Without Collins and the likes of Tom Barry the Brits would never have negotiated. There was never hoing to be a 32 county Island without a full scale civil war. Also most of the signatories to the proclaimation were not dubs
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
adineen98 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adineen98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 12:03pm

1,200 Volunteers got together in Cork and were going up to Dublin but didn't in the end after receiving nine contradictory orders from Dublin

A lot of the fighting in the War of Independence took place in Cork, with the city being burnt down by the British

Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by adineen98 adineen98 wrote:

A lot of the fighting in the War of Independence took place in Cork, with the city being burnt down by the British

👏👏👏
They dont receive enough credit for this.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 12:36pm

ah yes...Dublin, the City that fought an empire

Edited by Sham157 - 16 Dec 2017 at 12:36pm
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 1:06pm
I don't know if this still happens but I remember as a chung fellit in my teens that some lads who would be over and back to England for trials would pick up an accent. The point being that people would ask them where they got the Scouse/ Cockney/ Manc twang and that would give the dzopes the opportunity to sound off about all the time they have been abroad being courted by U.K. clubs
El Puto Amo
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 2:40pm
Should we just rename this the YBIG Civil War thread?

Where do Nordies who have lived half their life in Dublin while keeping a Nordie accent stand?
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Should we just rename this the YBIG Civil War thread?

Where do Nordies who have lived half their life in Dublin while keeping a Nordie accent stand?
In their Capital City.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by adineen98 adineen98 wrote:

1,200 Volunteers got together in Cork and were going up to Dublin but didn't in the end after receiving nine contradictory orders from Dublin

And yet they still flew the Jack from city hall last year
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 16>
  Share Topic