You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

George Hook

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Darraghn92 Darraghn92 wrote:

He specifically states that there is personal responsibility on women who are raped. This coming from the same George Hook who, in his autobiography, talks about how deliberately gets women drunk whilst staying sober:

'When I pull up to collect her I notice that she's wearing black eye-shadow. We go into the bar and she asks for a gin and tonic. Where I come from, the only women who drink gin and tonic and wear eye-shadow are fallen ones. I'm thinking I've struck gold. It's the Klondike: fill your boots!

I'm afraid to have a gin and tonic myself because I can't hold my drink. So I order tonic water for myself while pushing the G&T's into her'

From the transcript I read he made it clear she scumbags should be jailed.

I detest the man and have known him for over 30 years but some of what he says makes sense and I would never blame a girl for been raped but would strongly advise all girls to consider their own personal safety before going off witn a stranger.

As I said bring him to her room so she knows who else may or may not be there. That's not excusing the scumbag or blaming her it's suggesting ways of voiding harm nothing less.
I know nothing :-)
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

Trying to compare someone getting beaten up to someone getting raped.... f**king hell!

You are missing the point

No one is excusing the scumbag or blaming the girl

Its a case of been sensible and thinking about personal safety.

Honest question you have a sister or daughter in such a position would you not be advising them to consider their own safety.

Oh I'm missing the point am I? Is that the point where you said what if it happened to a lad but he got beaten up instead?

People are allowed to make their own choices in life. If that girl went into that chaps hotel room and dry humped him until the cows came home and then said no to sex it's still rape. Just because of the situation she's in or that she has put herself in doesn't mean it's ok for her to be raped and trying to make a comparison between her putting herself in that situation and a lad doing it and getting beaten up is f**king ridiculous.

"The point he was trying to make was she didnt know the guy, bit more important who else could have been staying in the room, and it it the other occupant that seems to have come in and raped her."

So it's her fault for going to someone's room with them and not having her security team case the place for her? Grow up ffs and cop on. Trying to put any sort of blame on the girl is just f**king ridiculous, she's done nothing wrong.

You're trying to put some of the blame on her for putting herself in that situation. Does she not have free will? Is it too much to ask that a girl can go to a lads hotel room and not be f**king raped or was she asking for it because she's obviously a bit of a sl*g?
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Darraghn92 Darraghn92 wrote:

He specifically states that there is personal responsibility on women who are raped. This coming from the same George Hook who, in his autobiography, talks about how deliberately gets women drunk whilst staying sober:

'When I pull up to collect her I notice that she's wearing black eye-shadow. We go into the bar and she asks for a gin and tonic. Where I come from, the only women who drink gin and tonic and wear eye-shadow are fallen ones. I'm thinking I've struck gold. It's the Klondike: fill your boots!

I'm afraid to have a gin and tonic myself because I can't hold my drink. So I order tonic water for myself while pushing the G&T's into her'

I have 'allegedly' heard some 'rumors' on the character of Mr Hook, let's call him Abu Hamza. 

They are not very fllatering to Hamza.
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 1:52pm

Trying to compare someone getting beaten up to someone getting raped.... f**king hell!

Honest question you have a sister or daughter in such a position would you not be advising them to consider their own safety.

Oh I'm missing the point am I? Is that the point where you said what if it happened to a lad but he got beaten up instead?

People are allowed to make their own choices in life. If that girl went into that chaps hotel room and dry humped him until the cows came home and then said no to sex it's still rape. Just because of the situation she's in or that she has put herself in doesn't mean it's ok for her to be raped and trying to make a comparison between her putting herself in that situation and a lad doing it and getting beaten up is f**king ridiculous.

"The point he was trying to make was she didnt know the guy, bit more important who else could have been staying in the room, and it it the other occupant that seems to have come in and raped her."

So it's her fault for going to someone's room with them and not having her security team case the place for her? Grow up ffs and cop on. Trying to put any sort of blame on the girl is just f**king ridiculous, she's done nothing wrong.

You're trying to put some of the blame on her for putting herself in that situation. Does she not have free will? Is it too much to ask that a girl can go to a lads hotel room and not be f**king raped or was she asking for it because she's obviously a bit of a sl*g?

No I have never said she is to blame

You it seems can't separate blame from been careful.

Why not answer the question

Would you arose your own daughter / sister ext to be more careful

Advising people to be careful does not u rape is ever right

I know nothing :-)
Tony Cousins View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 1:57pm

Advising people to be careful does not u rape is ever right

It's not "advise" after the event. It's "judgement".
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 2:48pm
So she should have been more careful is it?

She should have expected it to happen? Any woman that gets with a man on a night out should be expected to be raped therefore they should be more careful and live as nuns and never leave the house? Is that the solution?

Women should be able to go wherever the f**k they want whenever the f**k they want without having to be careful about being raped or putting themselves in a situation where they might be raped.

Would that be your advise to a female you know who got raped? Well you should have been more careful about the situation you put yourself in? It's not your fault but you should have been more careful. It's not your fault but you shouldn't have put yourself in that situation.... you sound like Donald Trump
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 3:31pm
I'm not a fan of George hook whatsoever, but actually feel bad for him as the whole interview hasn't been taken into context, rather zoning in on one sentence. certainly don't agree with fintan o'toole's attack on newstalk as a whole in his latest article. almost like a personal vendetta against the radio station. he should have stayed on topic of conversation about what hook said, and start a national discussion on the stigma around cases that question the consent of sex. but I suppose o'toole is riding the egotistical wave that has built under his opinions over the past while.
previously sat on a jury for a rape case. difficult to take in the information at the time, but once deliberating, I was shocked at the reactions of some of my fellow jurors.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 3:34pm
Let's be clear about this. 

Hook should be out on his ear for these comments. 

i) Because the trial has not actually yet resulted in a conviction - there may be a re-trial. Hook talked about it as if a conviction had been made.
ii) Because he clearly does blame the alleged victim. 
iii) Because his comments are applicable to all actual rapes which take place after what we would commonly refer to as a "one night stand". 

There are two lines to focus on. 

“But is there no blame now to the person who puts themselves in danger?"

That's quite clearly a rhetorical question. The obvious implied answer is "yes, there is". And the notion that "the woman was putting herself in danger" by having consensual sex (before the second man entered the equation) is one I have a terrible problem with. 

But there's another line which is also damning.

The lead in is: "She has no idea of his health conditions, she has no idea who he is, she has no idea of the dangers he might pose, but modern day social activity means she goes back with him." 

And then the kicker: "Then, is surprised when somebody else comes into the room and rapes her."

I've listened to the comments twice and focussed on the tone of that line. It's a tone of mocking and sarcasm, as if to say "well, what did she expect?" 

Imagine a woman being surprised at somebody else coming into the room and raping her. Imagine that. Mad, I know.

It's almost like Hook could have just said "she was asking for it".

Because that's the message those two lines and the general misogynistic tone of the piece make clear.

And please, no more crap from any other posters about "he said he wasn't blaming her" or "he was just telling people to stay safe". 

He said he wasn't blaming the woman, and then went ahead and blamed the woman. And the stuff about "staying safe" is irrelevant window dressing. 

Focus on the actual lines I quoted above. They are completely unacceptable for a national radio presenter, they are a disgrace, and Hook is a disgrace.

Edited by sid waddell - 12 Sep 2017 at 3:38pm
houghton88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote houghton88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 3:35pm
Is it true he brought the Big Mac to Ireland??
To alcohol!!!! The cause of and solution to all lifes problems.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 4:36pm

Wrote a lot more and still missing the point LOL
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 4:45pm
I'm not missing the point.

You cannot simply say oh she's not to blame but she needs to be more aware and careful. They don't go hand in hand in the slightest. Either you're blaming her somewhat and saying she needs to be more careful or you're not blaming her at all.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 4:48pm
Number of Newstalk staff calling for him to be taken off air

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0912/904165-newstalk-hook/
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 5:04pm
I'd say a lot of that protest would be against him and an poortunity to get him out as opposed to his comments. And I'd say Fintan O'Tooles piece was similar, it's a small place everyone knows everyone.
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Let's be clear about this. 

Hook should be out on his ear for these comments. 

i) Because the trial has not actually yet resulted in a conviction - there may be a re-trial. Hook talked about it as if a conviction had been made.
ii) Because he clearly does blame the alleged victim. 
iii) Because his comments are applicable to all actual rapes which take place after what we would commonly refer to as a "one night stand". 

There are two lines to focus on. 

“But is there no blame now to the person who puts themselves in danger?"

That's quite clearly a rhetorical question. The obvious implied answer is "yes, there is". And the notion that "the woman was putting herself in danger" by having consensual sex (before the second man entered the equation) is one I have a terrible problem with. 

But there's another line which is also damning.

The lead in is: "She has no idea of his health conditions, she has no idea who he is, she has no idea of the dangers he might pose, but modern day social activity means she goes back with him." 

And then the kicker: "Then, is surprised when somebody else comes into the room and rapes her."

I've listened to the comments twice and focussed on the tone of that line. It's a tone of mocking and sarcasm, as if to say "well, what did she expect?" 

Imagine a woman being surprised at somebody else coming into the room and raping her. Imagine that. Mad, I know.

It's almost like Hook could have just said "she was asking for it".

Because that's the message those two lines and the general misogynistic tone of the piece make clear.

And please, no more crap from any other posters about "he said he wasn't blaming her" or "he was just telling people to stay safe". 

He said he wasn't blaming the woman, and then went ahead and blamed the woman. And the stuff about "staying safe" is irrelevant window dressing. 

Focus on the actual lines I quoted above. They are completely unacceptable for a national radio presenter, they are a disgrace, and Hook is a disgrace.

Exactly, that is it in a nutshell. How it is even being debated says a lot for the country.
flipper View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 8:58pm
I Don't like Hook, nor do I completely agree with his comments. But all this hysteria and faux outrage following the incident is vomit inducing. People are using this for their own anti Hook agenda and some are just using it to outright virtue signal. Another exercise in who can be shown to be the most outraged.

Hes a public commentator with sometimes controversial views, however in this instance he makes some vaguely valid points that a lot of people would agree with somewhat. Clayton hotels and other sponsors are well within their rights to discontinue their association with Newstalk, but this concerted effort to ruin his career/life because it goes against this new forced accepted narrative is part of something much more worrying.

Also Id like to add, the accused in this case has been found not guilty of one count and the jury could not reach a verdict on the other as there were many holes/inconsistencies in the girls story. (This happened before Hooks comments afaik) Every single news outlet reporting on Hooks comments that I read failed to mention this. Why? 

Theres a reasonable chance the accused may actually be the only victim in this case. to all the people losing their sh*t over Hook for 'victim blaming' but at the same time calling the guy a scumbag, how will you feel if he is exonerated and you become guilty of victim abuse?
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by flipper flipper wrote:

I Don't like Hook, nor do I completely agree with his comments. But all this hysteria and faux outrage following the incident is vomit inducing. People are using this for their own anti Hook agenda and some are just using it to outright virtue signal. Another exercise in who can be shown to be the most outraged.

Hes a public commentator with sometimes controversial views, however in this instance he makes some vaguely valid points that a lot of people would agree with somewhat. Clayton hotels and other sponsors are well within their rights to discontinue their association with Newstalk, but this concerted effort to ruin his career/life because it goes against this new forced accepted narrative is part of something much more worrying.

Also Id like to add, the accused in this case has been found not guilty of one count and the jury could not reach a verdict on the other as there were many holes/inconsistencies in the girls story. (This happened before Hooks comments afaik) Every single news outlet reporting on Hooks comments that I read failed to mention this. Why? 

Theres a reasonable chance the accused may actually be the only victim in this case. to all the people losing their sh*t over Hook for 'victim blaming' but at the same time calling the guy a scumbag, how will you feel if he is exonerated and you become guilty of victim abuse?

Can't wait for Sid's retort LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 10:03pm

Spot the virgin.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 12:27am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Can't wait for Sid's retort LOL
There's fook all point giving a retort.

Plenty of people out there are only too willing to defend the indefensible. 

Strange that the poster quoted omits to mention that Hook was the very person who assumed the alleged perpetrator was a convicted rapist. 

But as I said earlier, his victim blaming comments are clearly applicable to all actual rapes that occur in a bedroom during a first night meeting.

They are also applicable to other horrific crimes such as the Manuela Riedo murder, or any case where a woman is murdered after being abducted, say, walking home on her own after a night out or thumbing a lift or giving a lift.

Because in Hook's eyes, clearly these women have put themselves in danger and are thus not free of blame.

This isn't the first time Hook has made abhorrent comments about rape.

He is on record in the recent past implying that consent to sex is automatically granted by a woman when she gets married or embarks on a co-habiting relationship. 

http://www.thejournal.ie/george-hook-comments-niamh-nic-domhnaill-2218672-Jul2015/

What about this. Hypothetically… you go into a relationship with somebody, be it marriage or be it you’re living with someone. So now you’re sharing a bed with somebody, yes, and obviously sexual congress takes place on a regular basis because you’re living with someone. Is there not an implied consent therefore that you consent to sexual congress?

No there isn't, George, no there isn't, although this state, disgustingly, only recognised that rape could occur in marriage as late as 1990.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic