You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

George Hook

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 3:52pm
"Rape is a horrible crime, no-one ever said it wasn't, but to think that it is wrong to advise a girl to think of her own personal safety is plain stupid."

GF as it's already been pointed out to you, highlighting this to a rape victim after they've been raped is putting the blame on her. How do you not comprehend this????

If your daughter was heading on a night out and you said before she left, be careful out there tonight, don't get yourself into any bad situations and then it transpired she ended up in a room with a random chap and got raped, would you turn around and say well I warned you didn't I? You're not to blame here, what happened is terrible but I did tell you before you left to be careful so why didn't you?

There's a world of difference between advising a girl or her personal safety before she goes out and after she's been raped.

greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

Ok so here we go again making ridiculous comparisons between rape and drunk driving
I don't have a daughter but if I did my advise wouldn't be anything, it would instead be consoling and counselling as that's the only thing that might slightly help.

You seem to think if she had of gone to her own room she wouldn't have been raped. Like there is some sort of magical force around her room that would have prevented that from happening.  

"We are always taught to be careful growing up" we are also all taught not to rape anyone so why should it matter how careful she was or wasn't, she's not in the wrong here in the slightest and you can't seem to understand that or at least you pretend to but go back to how she could have been more careful.

I'll try and make this easier for you

Rape is wrong

Hook condemned the rape and said the scumbags should be jailed

He was talking to a radio audience and not the victim

NOW HE HAS SAID PEOPLE SHOULD BE MORE CAREFUL ETC

This has nothing to do with defending the rapist or blaming the victim it is common sense

You can live in your ideal world and say we should be able to do anything we want and never come to harm but sadly that is not the reality

I would safely say that if you ever do have a daughter you would not tell her to do anything she wants as it's her right and not worry about her own personal safety.

As regards this girls own room been safer, off course it would be as she would know whoever else may have a key etc, in this case wasn't she raped by the roommate?

Rape is a horrible crime, no-one ever said it wasn't, but to think that it is wrong to advise a girl to think of her own personal safety is plain stupid.

When the link was posted up here, the comments on the indo website were equally agreeing and disagreeing with Hooks comments, and a lot of females agreeing with his advice about been careful.

As regards people calling for him to lose his job, what happened to free speech, or is it only free speech if certain people agree with what is said?

Personally I never listen to him, but as long as listeners tune in surely that is their right of choice.

I know nothing :-)
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Are we all agreed that hook is a sh*t who will be no loss when he is off the air.

Any news on him getting the bullit? 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I am misanthropic.
Where the f**k did ya pluck that word from???

I had to google it, seems it means you don't like people in general and are a bit of a loner??? 

My head. Even if you hadn't heard of the word, the individual syllables should be clues.

And you are comparing situations, which, to state again, is reprehensible.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 3:11pm

I'm not comparing rape and theft and saying they are the same. That would be wrong. I'm comparing them to show that we've all been in situations where we could remove ourselves from the danger. Rape is obviously much much worse crime FFS

I'm not comparing rape and theft ....... I'm comparing them.

This is all I got from what you said

Grand. G'Luck Thumbs Up
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 2:53pm

I'm not comparing rape and theft ....... I'm comparing them.

This is all I got from what you said
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 2:46pm

I am misanthropic.
Where the f**k did ya pluck that word from???

I had to google it, seems it means you don't like people in general and are a bit of a loner??? 

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 2:44pm

Ok so here we go again making ridiculous comparisons between rape and drunk driving
I don't have a daughter but if I did my advise wouldn't be anything, it would instead be consoling and counselling as that's the only thing that might slightly help.
bhob/PreMadonna, you're not listenting to any of our points. You're seeing us argue against your predetermined opinion and thinking that we must all think the girl is to blame.

Read the thread again
 We're not, believe me. I have re- read them, over and over, they are still absolutely reprehensible. Trying to compare rape to other 'crimes' is just unbelievable and why I am misanthropic.
It is so, so sad.
I'm not comparing rape and theft and saying they are the same. That would be wrong. I'm comparing them to show that we've all been in situations where we could remove ourselves from the danger. Rape is obviously much much worse crime FFS

I don't know what's so hard for you to understand here. She's not to blame and it's not her fault.
Totally agree - I never said she was.

You should be allowed to walk down a dark alley and not have your phone stolen.
I should, but we live in the real world.

If this was a girl you knew, would you honestly sit down with her and express to her.... well it's 100% not your fault but you should have been more careful and not put yourself in that position"?
Of course not, again I never said I would.

Are we all agreed that hook is a sh*t who will be no loss when he is off the air.
Agreed!
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 2:07pm

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 2:01pm

bhob/PreMadonna, you're not listenting to any of our points. You're seeing us argue against your predetermined opinion and thinking that we must all think the girl is to blame.

Read the thread again

" if you walked down a dark alley in a dodgy area late at night and had your phone stolen, what would the response be? You'd say you should have been more careful and not put yourself in that position."

The truth of it is if she was at a swingers party and got raped it still doesn't f**king matter what situation she put herself in.

I don't know what's so hard for you to understand here. She's not to blame and it's not her fault.

You should be allowed to walk down a dark alley and not have your phone stolen. She should be able to go to whoever room she wants and f**k whoever she wants and not expect to be raped. How hard is that for you to understand?

If this was a girl you knew, would you honestly sit down with her and express to her.... well it's 100% not your fault but you should have been more careful and not put yourself in that position"?

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 1:47pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 1:39pm

Read the thread again

We're not, believe me. I have re- read them, over and over, they are still absolutely reprehensible. Trying to compare rape to other 'crimes' is just unbelievable and why I am misanthropic.
It is so, so sad.

Edited by pre Madonna - 13 Sep 2017 at 1:39pm
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 1:32pm

Read the thread again

Edited by Shedite - 13 Sep 2017 at 1:33pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 1:11pm

You seem to think if she had of gone to her own room she wouldn't have been raped. Like there is some sort of magical force around her room that would have prevented that from happening.  

"We are always taught to be careful growing up" we are also all taught not to rape anyone so why should it matter how careful she was or wasn't, she's not in the wrong here in the slightest and you can't seem to understand that or at least you pretend to but go back to how she could have been more careful.

Spot on.
Some of the responses on this thread aren't just baffling, they are genuinely disturbing.
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 12:57pm

greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 12:19pm

It's amazing how the like of GF who couldn't help but try defend the comments made by Hook are now nowhere to be seen in this thread

Hook wasn't talking to the victim

He was talking to an audience

HE condemned the sucmbags at the start

He then talked about people taking precautions and been careful

As I SAID MANY TIMES I DETEST THE GUY BUT SOME OF WHAT HE SAID MAKES SENSE

We are always taught to be careful growing up, yes we live in a free world, and you can get into a car with your dunk mate whos driving, if he crashes and seriously injures you, is it you fault?  No bit could you have been a bit more careful and not got in the car ?  Yes

You sl*g me but dont answer my points, why not answer the points ive made????

What advice would you give your daughter in such a situation?

Mine would be be bring him to your room

I know nothing :-)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 11:57am
Spot on.
Lostandfound View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lostandfound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 11:53am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

The reactionary right loves to talk about "personal responsibility". 

Yet in the case of rape, they often seem strangely eager to apportion blame to the victim, rather than hold the person actually responsible to account.

Hook's rant claimed to be about "personal responsibility" (the "personal responsibility" of a victim, not a criminal). Yet the reactionary right are completely blind to the idea that, as a national radio presenter, Hook himself might have had any personal responsibility to not perpetuate a 19th century misogynist worldview, which is simply wrong. In any sense of the word.

The reactionary right loves to talk about "freedom". 

Yet in this case, it's all "she shouldn't have put herself in that position", and that any "women who put themselves in danger" must accept blame should they be the victim of a horrific crime. This is quite clearly an anti-freedom view.

So it would appear to me that the reactionary right actually believe the opposite of what they preach. 

That or they just hate women.

Or both.

Agree 100% with this. 

The likes of Hook believe in freedom as long as some people are more free than others. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic