You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can We Beat Wales In Cardiff ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Poll Question: Can we beat Wales In Cardiff ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
62 [55.36%]
50 [44.64%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Originally posted by Catherine Banneto Catherine Banneto wrote:

Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

A draw against us will be no good for them and they may well be out of it by kick off if they don't beat Georgia. In that scenario ironically a draw against Moldova and we'd still be in with a shout going to Cardiff.

We can beat them as they'll be looking for a win or out of it. It's going to be very tense no matter what happens on the 6th.

If Wales drop points in Tbilisi than the Moldova game means nothing to us so long as we beat Wales.

Yes but we'd surely like to be in a position where maybe, just maybe, a draw in Wales would be enough depending on results elsewhere.

Also the negativity on here if we don't beat Moldova, it would be reflected in the media and in the stands, the atmosphere around the camp would be poison and we'd not beat Wales. 

We need to be beating Moldova two or three nil next month.

A draw against Wales can't be enough, we lose all our points against Moldova in the "runner up rankings" meaning we would finish on 11 points, ie. the worst placed runner up.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 1:27pm
Yes we can.

Do I think we will, NO.

Hopefully it'll be a game where a winner takes second and a possible play off place. It would be sh*te if we knew we had to beat Wales 3 nil or something like that to progress to a play.

Both teams going at it for the win with lots of goals would be a refreshing change 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

A draw against us will be no good for them and they may well be out of it by kick off if they don't beat Georgia. In that scenario ironically a draw against Moldova and we'd still be in with a shout going to Cardiff.

We can beat them as they'll be looking for a win or out of it. It's going to be very tense no matter what happens on the 6th.

If Wales drop points in Tbilisi than the Moldova game means nothing to us so long as we beat Wales.

Yes but we'd surely like to be in a position where maybe, just maybe, a draw in Wales would be enough depending on results elsewhere.

Also the negativity on here if we don't beat Moldova, it would be reflected in the media and in the stands, the atmosphere around the camp would be poison and we'd not beat Wales. 

We need to be beating Moldova two or three nil next month.

A draw against Wales can't be enough, we lose all our points against Moldova in the "runner up rankings" meaning we would finish on 11 points, ie. the worst placed runner up.

I've explained above how 11 points may be enough. Unlikely, but not impossible. 
However I still think it's win or bust.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 1:33pm
We certainly can (I don't think Wales or anyone else in Group D are any great shakes) but I would be concerned about our poor form in 2017 and distinct lack of goals.
Catherine Banneto View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catherine Banneto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 1:35pm
If Wales draw in Tbilisi it sounds crazy but losing to Moldova might be a smart move because then their is a small chance that they could beat an Austria side that doesn't give a f**k meaning the 6 points against them counts...fantasy stuff but still.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catherine Banneto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

We certainly can (I don't think Wales or anyone else in Group D are any great shakes) but I would be concerned about our poor form in 2017 and distinct lack of goals.

Yeah but after the performance against Serbia at home we now atlas have something to build on whereas at home to Serbia we had to come up with a good performance from scratch, fantasy's aside beat Moldova putting in another good performance and then we can go to Cardiff looking to win.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 1:37pm

If Wales draw in Tbilisi it sounds crazy but losing to Moldova might be a smart move because then their is a small chance that they could beat an Austria side that doesn't give a f**k meaning the 6 points against them counts...fantasy stuff but still.

You really are a stupid man. 

Cathalthesmart my bollix. 

Thick thread please.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
KILCRUISE View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KILCRUISE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 1:39pm
can we beat Georgia away?
does a bear s*£t in the woods?

Edited by KILCRUISE - 07 Sep 2017 at 1:51pm
may the road rise to meet you but make sure it does not slap you in the face
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catherine Banneto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 1:45pm

Thick thread please.

Okay im a f*cking idiot I completely messed up the math there! 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 1:50pm
Can we? Of course we can.

Will we? Probably not
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 1:52pm

Thick thread please.

Okay im a f*cking idiot I completely messed up the math there! 

It's not maths, if we lost to Moldova how would we have six points against.them -- ha ha
AKA pedantic kunt
TioPepe View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TioPepe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 1:52pm
Of course we can. 

But we'd need Williams, Ramsey and a few others to get a yellow in Tbilisi to help us out. 

O'Neill needs to big brave this game, and start Scott Hogan on his debut up top with Long. Two wingers, Wes and Arter. 

What could suit us, is Georgia is their match before so hopefully a touch of fatigue will hit their players.
BippityBoop View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BippityBoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 1:54pm
Can we? Of course.

Will we, possibly...

If Wales drop any points vs Georiga away (totally possible after watching Wales at home to Moldova), then all Ireland need is a draw from the Wales game (assuming we beat Moldova...). 

Not sure going into a game just needing a draw would actually work in our favour though seeing as we have a tendency to just sit back.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 1:54pm

Thick thread please.
Christ on a bike! Couldn't you just see Darren Randolph turning round and kicking every ball that comes his way into his own net on purpose...and the crowd cheering because, hey, it doesn't matter, it won't count when it comes to the runner-up rankings. LOL
Christ, he's getting worse, this Cathal/Catherine (or whoever his new username will be after one of the mods bans him/her again). LOLClown

Left up to me, I'd take the 3 points v Moldova any day, build up a bit of confidence and take it from there into the game in Cardiff.
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 2:13pm
It's possible but the bet is 1-1

The advantages we have:
Wales have a tough away match beforehand
They must go for the win
We are not expected to win

The disadvantages:
Bale
They are at home
They are coming into form

TioPepe View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TioPepe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 2:15pm
[QUOTE=Zinedine Kilbane 110]It's possible but the bet is 1-1

The advantages we have:
They must go for the win

The disadvantages:
Bale
They are at home
They are coming into form[/QUOTE]

They struggled v Moldova Confused  and a fortunate strike v Austria - All signs would indicate they will struggle against a side they couldnt defeat at home.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 2:18pm

So if we beat Wales in all scenarios:

If we beat Moldova, they will finish bottom, and we still have 13 counting points (19-6 v Moldova = 13).
If we lose to Moldova and Georgia do finish bottom, we have 12 counting points (16-4 v Georgia = 12).
If we lose to Moldova and they still finish bottom, we have 13 counting points (16-3 v Moldova = 13).

There's no way we can beat Moldova and have Georgia finish bottom, which is what we'd really want (19-4 v Georgia = 15).

If Wales lose to Georgia and we draw with Moldova, giving a chance for Georgia to finish bottom, it would be marginally better, but literally only marginally, as we'd get the +2 GD from the Moldova games to count, as opposed to the +1 GD from the Georgia games. Otherwise, it counts for nothing.

So no, if Wales don't win, we still want a decent result. We also want to keep open the possibility, however slim, that a draw in Wales might be enough.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by TioPepe TioPepe wrote:

[QUOTE=Zinedine Kilbane 110]It's possible but the bet is 1-1

The advantages we have:
They must go for the win

The disadvantages:
Bale
They are at home
They are coming into form[/QUOTE]

They struggled v Moldova Confused  and a fortunate strike v Austria - All signs would indicate they will struggle against a side they couldnt defeat at home.
I'd like to think so anyway. LOL

The problem stands though - although in unconvincing fashion, they've still managed to get results when they've really needed to this month whereas we couldn't. Ouch
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic