You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Michael Obafemi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 125>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 11:27am
Any idea why he was in Ireland doing interviews?
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 11:52am
He is over here doing a Coca-Cola sponsored football event, hence why he is one over here and two holding a football (which you notice has Coca-Cola on it)
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 11:56am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

He is over here doing a Coca-Cola sponsored football event, hence why he is one over here and two holding a football (which you notice has Coca-Cola on it)
I didn't! It doesn't really explain anything either, other than Coca-Cola's marketing team aren't what they used to be.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 11:59am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I didn't! It doesn't really explain anything either, other than Coca-Cola's marketing team aren't what they used to be.

I agree $4b well spent
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 12:18pm
gwan mickey boiLOL, anyone else find that interview hilarious LOL such a comedy set up it must have been under MONROY lol

Edited by mully_85 - 04 Apr 2019 at 12:18pm
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

gwan mickey boiLOL, anyone else find that interview hilarious LOL such a comedy set up it must have been under MONROY lol

I liked the bit about Roy Keane screaming at him for 5 minutes
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Currychips View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Currychips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 1:09pm
MONROY Hahahaha.. I like that. Although I’m absolutely delighted they’re not involved anymore with Ireland I do kinda miss their crazy antics..pure comedy. Michael seems like he has a good head on his shoulders.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

18 year old boy on his own up front on his debut loses the ball while the team played dinosaur football made to feel very welcome by Fallout Boy by being screamed at non stop for 5 mins. And Martin O-Nil was going to leave him out of the squad because he couldnt be arsed asking him if he wanted to play for us.  You can only imagine the farce it must have been. No wonder Rice was put off.

Edited by Trap junior - 04 Apr 2019 at 1:33pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Beavis View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 1:40pm
Anyone else have any issue with his allegiance to us? Why would he want to play for Ireland? Not going to hold it against him but it's tenuous to say the least. Appears to amount to his family being here on holiday and he happened to be born; Nigerian parents, London-raised, with no recollection of life here.
I suppose we'll take it but realistically he can't have much of a real affinity for the green shirt. That said, I'm sure there's not as much "real affinity" in international as I like to believe.

Edited by Beavis - 04 Apr 2019 at 1:40pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 1:51pm
i dont have any issue with it, he was born here and he said he never had any thoughts about playing for anyone else but us. i don't see any issue on this one.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 2:02pm

My issue is that he is doing promo events for Coca Cola. Hoping that as a result of a few minutes of international football and one premier league goal that he doesn't fall into the trap of thinking he has made it.

mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

18 year old boy on his own up front on his debut loses the ball while the team played dinosaur football made to feel very welcome by Fallout Boy by being screamed at non stop for 5 mins. And Martin O-Nil was going to leave him out of the squad because he couldnt be arsed asking him if he wanted to play for us.  You can only imagine the farce it must have been. No wonder Rice was put off.

an absolute disgrace... i mean you could pretty much guarantee that with a pro active manager such as Michael o Niell with the North or Coleman or Giggs with Wales, that Declan Rice would be playing a in a green shirt today. such a setup it was really
Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 2:49pm
There’s something very likeable about this lad. Born in Ireland and wants to play for us.  No problem with that.  I’d rather see him up front than have us chasing Patrick Bamford who has had more than enough time to make up his mind. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 2:54pm
The reason people struggle with the anti-MON crusade is the hyperbole and exaggeration. It is clear that he handled this lad badly, in one way or another, but what the f**k has Declan Rice got to do with anything? Declan Rice didn't choose England over MON or Roy Keane or anybody else, he chose England because of Declan Rice.
LOL
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 3:21pm
exactly what the f**k do you think of the ****s interview in his England jersey whitewashing his Eire days. If you think that is someone that was put off by O'Neill and Keane you are seriously deluded.

f**k Rice 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

exactly what the f**k do you think of the ****s interview in his England jersey whitewashing his Eire days. If you think that is someone that was put off by O'Neill and Keane you are seriously deluded.

f**k Rice 

Half the lads playing for The EIRE now probably dreamed of playing for England.  What about the Italia 90 squad? Andy Townsend, Aldridge etc?  Don't tell me they loved The Eire growing up.  They played for us because they got an opportunity to play international football at a time it was a prestigious thing to do.  Rice is no different to them except he was given a window of opportunity to switch and get his game for England and he did just that.  The set up under MON was an absolute joke by the sounds of things and you have to be deluded yourself to think it had no bearing on his decision.  He personally witnessed Harry Arter being abused for absolutely no reason and rumours that he called Arter an English so ad so still circulate.   Arter supposedly said ''why the f**k do I bother?''

Rice is very talented and saw the shambles of training and a psycho as an assistant manager and probably thought this lot are a bunch of no hopers.  Then you have the England manager who comes across as a smart lad who believes in playing football (not dino ball) with a squad full of talent and says he wants you and sees you s a big part of his plans.  Who you going to pick?

MON could have played him for 2 mins in a competitive game but chose to play donkeys. MON does not believe in playing young players or even 26 year olds who he sees as young and not to be trusted.

All the English born lads in our squad would have picked England had they the chance. Let's not fool ourselves. Kilbane being the only exception.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 8:04pm

f**k Rice 

Half the lads playing for The EIRE now probably dreamed of playing for England.  What about the Italia 90 squad? Andy Townsend, Aldridge etc?  Don't tell me they loved The Eire growing up.  They played for us because they got an opportunity to play international football at a time it was a prestigious thing to do.  Rice is no different to them except he was given a window of opportunity to switch and get his game for England and he did just that.  The set up under MON was an absolute joke by the sounds of things and you have to be deluded yourself to think it had no bearing on his decision.  He personally witnessed Harry Arter being abused for absolutely no reason and rumours that he called Arter an English so ad so still circulate.   Arter supposedly said ''why the f**k do I bother?''

Rice is very talented and saw the shambles of training and a psycho as an assistant manager and probably thought this lot are a bunch of no hopers.  Then you have the England manager who comes across as a smart lad who believes in playing football (not dino ball) with a squad full of talent and says he wants you and sees you s a big part of his plans.  Who you going to pick?

MON could have played him for 2 mins in a competitive game but chose to play donkeys. MON does not believe in playing young players or even 26 year olds who he sees as young and not to be trusted.

All the English born lads in our squad would have picked England had they the chance. Let's not fool ourselves. Kilbane being the only exception.
Firstly, there is a huge difference between 1990 and now. It isn't just that we were good back then, it is the fact that playing any international football then  was beneficial to your career. That just isn't the case now. One cap for England now is worth more financially than a hundred Irish caps at any time;past, present or future. 
The rest is all conjecture, at best,  designed to suit an unnecessary and illogical argument. Rice left because of Rice and nobody else. There are plenty things you can bash O'Neill for and nobody will question it, but when you start talking sh*te for the sake of it it actually undermines your other arguments about him.
Yes, he possibly could have played him but nobody, not even Rice, could have predicted what happened afterwards. You could also end up with a situation where the player resents his choices and is frustrated with the situation.
MON was certainly slow to trust young players, a failing all of our managers have had in my time following Ireland. Even when Mick gave youth a chance at the start of his first spell it was largely out of necessity. I also thing you're exaggerating MON's use of the word 'young' regarding Doherty. It is something I have noticed from a lot of people from his part of the world regarding those younger than them, I think you are taking it in a very literal sense. To a man in his sixties, mid-twenties is young! I think if it was in any way deliberate it was to  hint at Doherty's (possible) lack of maturity.

As for who lads would have picked, we have no way of knowing, but there is plenty to suggest that Kilbane isn't the only one.  I would say that  Breen, McGrath, O'Leary, McLoughlin, Walters, Connolly  and Grealish, off the top of my head, would have picked Ireland over England. You can add in McGeady and Sheedy if you include Wales and Scotland.Some people will feel more 'Irish' than others, that isn't just down to where they  are born. I knew lads growing up in Ireland who had little interest in the Irish national team and,  by the same token I know lads over here who follow them intently. It is all quite fluid.

Edited by pre Madonna - 04 Apr 2019 at 8:06pm
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 8:07pm

f**k Rice 

Kilbane and McAteer turned down England for Ireland. Breen would have done the same. I know several English born lads with Irish parents who would have done the same, and several more who would have picked England. Always depends on the individual. Hard to tell who is who from the outside. 

Re: Obafemi, it was interesting to see this week that his mum was on holiday in Ireland when he was born. Thought they were living here. Either way, he has family in Ireland (uncles and aunts) and he’s been brought up through the underage groups. He’s eligible, he has and values the connection and he’s committed. Good enough for me.

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 125>
  Share Topic