Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Michael Obafemi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 125>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 4:18pm
His goalscoring record this season is far superior to Afolabi's. Hopefully they both end up making the breakthrough.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 5:06pm
As mentioned on the other thread, he is the type of player we should be bringing along to training camps for the senior team with a view to the future rather than now.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 5:13pm
Getting him involved with U-21's would be a more logical first step I'd say.
We're decent enough..
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Dr. Pat Dr. Pat wrote:

No he isn't...Obafemi has been the one to watch for the underage teams this past year following in the footsteps of Sims, Hasketh and Mc Queen. Afolabi doesn't start every game unlike Obafemi

Ok, I don't want to de-rail the thread but that's misleading. Obafemi is never picked over Afolabi at underage level. 12 apps. and 4 goals for Afolabi, 2 appearences and 0 goals for Obafemi at u-23. Both are eligible for the u18s but Afolabi is rarely selected as he plays so often with the 23s.

I'm delighted Obafemi came on yesterday and I hope it's the start of a great career for him. I just think that 8 minutes of Premier League football does not immediately elevate him from 3rd/4th choice striker for our u-19s to a senior international call up.
[/QUOTE]
I didn't realise Afolabi was playing so much with the U23s!apologies! Also thought Obafemi played a few more games for the U23s. Anyway, good to see them doing well
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Getting him involved with U-21's would be a more logical first step I'd say.

No reason why both can't happen in tandem. 
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 6:04pm
I'm already mixing up them 2 lads!
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Icy Bread People View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icy Bread People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 6:17pm
Just shows how much we're clutching at straws. How I long for the days of the early 00s when there were green goals all over teletext page 221...
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

I'm already mixing up them 2 lads!

LOL
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 10:31am
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/nigeria-to-battle-ireland-for-saints-starlet-michael-obafemi-466157.html

"He has already attended some training camps at the invitation of the English FA but it is unclear if he is yet eligible as he or his parents would need to have obtained a passport."

I don't think that's true, he'd qualify under the 5 year residency rule regardless of his parents passport status.

Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 10:48am
It shows the craziness of football these days. 3 countries (reportedly) "battling" for him, after five minutes of top flight football.
He could just as easily be at Woking in a few years as he will get more than 2 caps

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 11:01am
TBF, there's not a single source in that article to suggest that anyone is "chasing" him. It's idle speculation.
We're decent enough..
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 11:12am
I don't think that's true, he'd qualify under the 5 year residency rule regardless of his parents passport status.

[/QUOTE]

My understanding is the residency period of 5 years begins from 18 years of age. So he would need to wait until he is 23. Do you know of many players who have gone down this route to play international football? Does not seem to be to common.

Anyway looks like idle paper talk to me. as someone else pointed out, no sources, 8 mins of first team football etc
It's not me it's you:-)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 11:14am

TBF, there's not a single source in that article to suggest that anyone is "chasing" him. It's idle speculation.

True. Its almost as if they just read this thread yesterday and created a story from it.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 11:27am
I have never heard of this player
I have never seen him play

Get him into the next squad NOW
Get him his first cap NOW
Future Ireland captain 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
kingofkings View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Going to a 'Bigger Club' next season

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingofkings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 11:38am
If papers are to believed the FA are chasing him and Rice. No idea of the truth, but should we be following the Welsh mentality with Woodburn and Wilson and get them capped as soon as they're out of the womb just in case 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by kingofkings kingofkings wrote:

If papers are to believed the FA are chasing him and Rice. No idea of the truth, but should we be following the Welsh mentality with Woodburn and Wilson and get them capped as soon as they're out of the womb just in case 

At least we'd have a few good dribblers to watch for a change

mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

True. Its almost as if they just read this thread yesterday and created a story from it.

that's what I was thinking this morning,............if Nigeria are looking to add him  to their squad for wc2018 then it doesn't look good for them.......  imagine if he had actually scored ...!!!

there was better young players who got more time for Norwich last week v chelsea
Come on Irelind
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 125>
  Share Topic