You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Michael Obafemi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 117118119120121 125>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by dangere_here dangere_here wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

So if people think it's a bad move for him just have a look as the video's on the bus and at Ewood Park and ask again if he is happy . 
Players love money more than anything else . 

Part of the problem with that lad, bad attitude, no graft, wants the glory without the sweat and dancing half naked in a sexually suggestive manner to top it off. As they say, a class act 

Did you get a little excited watching him or something? Your preoccupation with the way these young athletes look is quite perplexing, it shouldn't be so bothersome to you.

Playing the man as usual OS you blaggard

Edited by dangere_here - 03 May 2023 at 10:44pm
Sponsored Links

Luder View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 4:30pm
Interesting article here:

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/burnley-michael-obafemi-swansea-transfer-26833183

While some of it might be waffle, I don't think Kompany has written Obafemi off yet. Maybe he just needs to get his form back.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Luder Luder wrote:

Interesting article here:

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/burnley-michael-obafemi-swansea-transfer-26833183

While some of it might be waffle, I don't think Kompany has written Obafemi off yet. Maybe he just needs to get his form back.

Let's see how he gets on with a full pre-season under his belt with his new team mates before we start worrying. He "seems" to have maintained fitness for quite some time now which is huge positive for a lad who had serious issues with various muscle injuries over the years. 
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 10:09pm
Sounds like he's saying that he sees him as a bench impact player for the club in the Premier League next season at this point in time.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 4:31pm
Looks like he went full John Terry lifting the Championship trophy last night after not being named in the match day squad LOL

Hes certainly a character.

Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Looks like he went full John Terry lifting the Championship trophy last night after not being named in the match day squad LOL

Hes certainly a character.

Thought the very same. His social media feed is awash with photos of him and the trophy LOL
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 2:48pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP0Fe_71GJg&t

I think this is an old interview but he comes across as a very nice fella. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 3:05pm
Bit of an awkward first five minutes to that interview with Obafemi having to kind of skirt around the passport tourism side of his back story and Nathan Murphy either not understanding or pretending to not understand why Obafemi's mother just happened to be in Ireland that summer.

Edited by You Tell Me - 25 May 2023 at 3:05pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Bit of an awkward first five minutes to that interview with Obafemi having to kind of skirt around the passport tourism side of his back story and Nathan Murphy either not understanding or pretending to not understand why Obafemi's mother just happened to be in Ireland that summer.

Jesus, yeah what a horrendous person to have the audacity to be born in Ireland, could he not have waited until he was back where his family came from?? Dead
We're decent enough..
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 4:12pm

Why what was the real reason she was in Ireland? Cause at the time his family were living in England and his older brother was born in England too.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 5:12pm

Jesus, yeah what a horrendous person to have the audacity to be born in Ireland, could he not have waited until he was back where his family came from?? Dead

Say what now?! Says it all I think that you drew that response from my comment, or thought that I was being in any way critical of Michael or his family.

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Why what was the real reason she was in Ireland? Cause at the time his family were living in England and his older brother was born in England too.

At the time it was extremely common for Nigerians living unlawfully in the UK to travel to Ireland when heavily pregnant to have a child born in Dublin, as a form of passport tourism. This is because Irish law at the time said that if you were born in Ireland you were entitled to Irish citizenship, even if you had no historical link to the country. A similar law did not apply in the UK. 

So, a pregnant mother would often travel to Ireland at 8+ months pregnant to have the baby, then leave shortly after the child was born. The Irish citizenship then gained by the child as a result would be sufficient to prevent the family being deported from Britain, as the child would have full UK residency rights under the common travel agreement. The law was changed a few years later to make it the same as the UK, not least because maternity hospitals were suffering from bed shortages caused by passport tourism.

Just to be entirely clear, this is not in any way a dig at Michael or his family, if that is indeed how he came to be born in Ireland they did nothing illegal and nothing that thousands of others didn't do around the same time. But it seemed clear enough in the early part of the interview that he was skirting around the questions about his early childhood and I was surprised at Murphy asking if he remembered anything about Ireland given he may well have known that he likely only lived in the country for a few weeks at most. It's understandable why he may not have wanted to go into it in too much detail but at the same time I don't think it's anything that should be held against him at all.

Edited by You Tell Me - 25 May 2023 at 5:26pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 5:29pm

Say what now?! Says it all I think that you drew that response from my comment, or thought that I was being in any way critical of Michael or his family.

At the time it was extremely common for Nigerians living unlawfully in the UK to travel to Ireland when heavily pregnant to have a child born in Dublin, as a form of passport tourism. This is because Irish law at the time said that if you were born in Ireland you were entitled to Irish citizenship, even if you had no historical link to the country. A similar law did not apply in the UK. 

So, a pregnant mother would often travel to Ireland at 8+ months pregnant to have the baby, then leave shortly after the child was born. The Irish citizenship then gained by the child as a result would be sufficient to prevent the family being deported from Britain, as the child would have full UK residency rights under the common travel agreement. The law was changed a few years later to make it the same as the UK, not least because maternity hospitals were suffering from bed shortages caused by passport tourism.

Just to be entirely clear, this is not in any way a dig at Michael or his family, if that is indeed how he came to be born in Ireland they did nothing illegal and nothing that thousands of others didn't do around the same time. But it seemed clear enough in the early part of the interview that he was skirting around the questions about his early childhood and I was surprised at Murphy asking if he remembered anything about Ireland given he may well have known that he likely only lived in the country for a few weeks at most. It's understandable why he may not have wanted to go into it in too much detail but at the same time I don't think it's anything that should be held against him at all.

Agreed and hundreds of thousands of Irish people over the years have taken advantage of legislation in other jurisdictions to obtain work, residency etc. 
Idah Dream!
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 5:29pm

What are you actually on about? You genuinely, genuinely need help.

Obviously he didnt decide where he was born but it's quite evident why he was born here.

He was clearly born here in a case of passport tourism, because we granted automatic citizenship to anybody born here up until it was changed by democratic referendum in 2004. People were coming here just to have babies so their babies could get automatic Irish citizenship, which by proxy led to their parents being able to stay.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0422/49352-citizenship/
https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-10110647.html

So the interviewer deciding to focus on his birth is a little awkward given he was only born here because of the abuse of a loophole which was highly contentious and very frowned upon at the time and resulted in one of the most one sided referendums in Irish history, to close said loophole.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 6:00pm
Doubt Obafemi was a passport baby when the UK had restricted Jus Soli since the early 80s and his older brother was born in the UK in the 90s.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

What are you actually on about? You genuinely, genuinely need help.

Obviously he didnt decide where he was born but it's quite evident why he was born here.

He was clearly born here in a case of passport tourism, because we granted automatic citizenship to anybody born here up until it was changed by democratic referendum in 2004. People were coming here just to have babies so their babies could get automatic Irish citizenship, which by proxy led to their parents being able to stay.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0422/49352-citizenship/
https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-10110647.html

So the interviewer deciding to focus on his birth is a little awkward given he was only born here because of the abuse of a loophole which was highly contentious and very frowned upon at the time and resulted in one of the most one sided referendums in Irish history, to close said loophole.

His birth was "abuse" of a loophole, was it? F*cking hell, the barely veiled racism often trotted out on here is absolutely shameful.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 6:14pm

Doubt Obafemi was a passport baby when the UK had restricted Jus Soli since the early 80s and his older brother was born in the UK in the 90s.

That was exactly the reason people travelled to Ireland - we hadn't restricted it and Irish citizenship = permanent residency in the UK (as I know very well as an Irish immigrant in the UK myself!).
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 6:18pm

That was exactly the reason people travelled to Ireland - we hadn't restricted it and Irish citizenship = permanent residency in the UK (as I know very well as an Irish immigrant in the UK myself!).

Yes we all know people travelled to Ireland because of that. But people are trying to say Obafemi was only born here cause his parents weren't legally residing in England yet his supposedly illegal parents decided to remain in England for the birth of their older kid(s).

Edited by J89 - 25 May 2023 at 6:24pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 6:50pm
I don't think it was common practice to do something like that back in 1994 when his brother was born, that was before the days of low cost airlines etc. It was mainly a practice undertaken in the late 90s and early 2000s.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 117118119120121 125>
  Share Topic