You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Michael Obafemi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 118119120121122 125>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 10:38pm
Michael has family in Dublin. His mother was visiting her sister and he was born - simple as.
Sponsored Links

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Bit of an awkward first five minutes to that interview with Obafemi having to kind of skirt around the passport tourism side of his back story and Nathan Murphy either not understanding or pretending to not understand why Obafemi's mother just happened to be in Ireland that summer.

Jesus, yeah what a horrendous person to have the audacity to be born in Ireland, could he not have waited until he was back where his family came from?? Dead

What are you actually on about? You genuinely, genuinely need help.

Obviously he didnt decide where he was born but it's quite evident why he was born here.

He was clearly born here in a case of passport tourism, because we granted automatic citizenship to anybody born here up until it was changed by democratic referendum in 2004. People were coming here just to have babies so their babies could get automatic Irish citizenship, which by proxy led to their parents being able to stay.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0422/49352-citizenship/
https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-10110647.html

So the interviewer deciding to focus on his birth is a little awkward given he was only born here because of the abuse of a loophole which was highly contentious and very frowned upon at the time and resulted in one of the most one sided referendums in Irish history, to close said loophole.

His birth was "abuse" of a loophole, was it? F*cking hell, the barely veiled racism often trotted out on here is absolutely shameful.

LOL
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by TheNumber6 TheNumber6 wrote:

Michael has family in Dublin. His mother was visiting her sister and he was born - simple as.

Sure they were probably "abusing" the hospitality of the great and pure Irish nation too! All these "passport tourists" deciding to overstay their welcome Dead
We're decent enough..
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 11:36am

Sure they were probably "abusing" the hospitality of the great and pure Irish nation too! All these "passport tourists" deciding to overstay their welcome Dead

If only we had some way of finding out public sentiment about the issue at the time, rather than the typically insane ramblings of a crazy person on here.

Oh wait, we had a referendum on the issue which was astronomically in favour of stopping passport tourism. 79 to 21 percent. 

As was said, Michael didnt decide where he was born and he has done well for us, fair play to him. But this happened regularly, it was enough of an issue for it to go to referendum, and the public could not have been clearer on the issue, so it was stopped. End of story. Now run off and play with traffic like a good lad.

Edited by E2016 - 26 May 2023 at 11:37am
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 11:50am
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

If only we had some way of finding out public sentiment about the issue at the time, rather than the typically insane ramblings of a crazy person on here.

Oh wait, we had a referendum on the issue which was astronomically in favour of stopping passport tourism. 79 to 21 percent. 

As was said, Michael didnt decide where he was born and he has done well for us, fair play to him. But this happened regularly, it was enough of an issue for it to go to referendum, and the public could not have been clearer on the issue, so it was stopped. End of story. Now run off and play with traffic like a good lad.

Was just about to mention this. That referendum was racist too apparently. Reasonable minority of idiots in this country now think it’s normal and acceptable to call virtually anyone even mentioning anything related to immigration policy “racist”. 

To get back to football 100% believe Obafemi regarding O’Neill. O’Neill basically embarrassed by the Declan Rice scenario did what fans today still do. 

He used that debacle inspired by a bruised ego no doubt as a stick to beat Obafemi with. Obafemi ended up plastering his social media with pictures of himself in the Irish flag/tricolour in response to make a point if people remember. 

Edited by kevin100 - 26 May 2023 at 11:51am
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 12:00pm
Keep this topic to football lads, open another thréad in whatever If hé want to debate immigration policy last and present 
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 12:07pm
The only international manager in history to caution his players against playing for their country. MO’N. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 12:10pm

The only international manager in history to caution his players against playing for their country. MO’N. 

Just in case anyone thought the above was satire. LOLLOL

Edited by kevin100 - 26 May 2023 at 12:11pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 12:18pm
"You're all right Michael, just stay home and take some more time to think about it. I'm not sure we're really what you're looking for to be honest. Besides, we have Seanie Maguire so playing time would be hard enough for you to come by with us."
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2023 at 5:09pm
Operation on the Hamstring. Not good.
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2023 at 5:36pm
Yup, will miss the start of the season with a torn hamstring picked up in the Gibraltar game

Edited by wanderer - 04 Jul 2023 at 5:37pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2023 at 6:09pm
That's a massive blow for the lad. He was needing a big pre-season as it was after a stop start season just gone.

Another hamstring issue doesn't look good for his long term future either. Also it's his third time getting injured in 12 months while on international duty.
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2023 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

That's a massive blow for the lad. He was needing a big pre-season as it was after a stop start season just gone.

Another hamstring issue doesn't look good for his long term future either. Also it's his third time getting injured in 12 months while on international duty.

Probably a case of him coming in from the cold (at club level) to then starting games for Ireland i.e. not being match fit.

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2023 at 7:30pm
His hamstring issues seem to be persistent at this point. Not what you'd want. It's going to make things tough for him at Burnley now too, by the time he's back fit others will likely have moved ahead of him and it seems to take him ages to get back to full match fitness when he gets injured.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2023 at 7:44pm
Probably end up getting a January loan
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 10:34am
Burnley signed Zeki Amdouni (22) from Basel for £16.1 million yesterday.

He has 5 goals from 5 caps for Switzerland.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 10:52am
24 in 66 in thr Swiss League - not bad, but far from guaranteed he'll make an EPL impact.
We're decent enough..
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 10:54am
Obafemi has 23 goals in his total club career and is very injury prone.

Can't see him playing much this season.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 118119120121122 125>
  Share Topic