Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Michael Obafemi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5758596061 125>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 10:00am
Bit early in the day for Obafemi to be anyone's "hero" isn't it? I doubt many aside from close followers of the Ireland team know or care about what he tweeted.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 9:28am
Has he joined up with the u21s?
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 9:36am
Originally posted by johnvonp johnvonp wrote:

Has he joined up with the u21s?

Word is that several clubs didn't release their players who are in the 1st teams so don't think Obafemi or Smallbone are there, among others.

But we don't know for sure as they haven't released a list of who's there and who isn't.

jimjims View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimjims Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 10:51am
It will be unfortunate if the club didn't release him. Surely that won't do much at minute to please Kenny. He would have to get starts for Southhampton if he wants to make the squad for next summer.
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 3:18pm

"Southampton duo Michael Obafemi and Will Smallbone are among a cohort of players who haven’t been released, but their clubmates Will Ferry and Tom O’Connor have both linked up with the Ireland U21s this week. Stoke City’s Nathan Collins is another who has remained with his club as the start of the 2020-21 season approaches."

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 3:24pm
Nothing to do with Obafemi or Smallbone, it's Southampton's decision. It's not an international window for the U21's so clubs don't have to release the players if they don't want to.

I'd imagine the reason they released the other two is that they aren't part of the 1st team picture so they don't really care that much about them. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

"Southampton duo Michael Obafemi and Will Smallbone are among a cohort of players who haven’t been released, but their clubmates Will Ferry and Tom O’Connor have both linked up with the Ireland U21s this week. Stoke City’s Nathan Collins is another who has remained with his club as the start of the 2020-21 season approaches."

Yeah, I think that's fair enough, all three are in and around the first team for their respective clubs. 

Its disappointing but if you look at it, its very positive too that our u21s are making fantastic progress

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 3:50pm
Yeah, that makes total sense.

I actually found it odd they published a squad for that  camp, as they would for an actual match.

Better to just say they were having a camp and then announcing who was involved and a few lines on those who they wanted but are better served staying with their clubs and fighting for 1st-team starts.

At this stage does anyone know definitively who's there?

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

Looks like Nathan Collins is set to declare for Brazil so Big smile
We're decent enough..
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 1:29pm
Obafemi's outburst looking more and more premature by the week. Left on the bench with Long as Hasenhuttl brings on Nathan Tella. 20 minutes left.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 2:00pm
Hes the kind of player that could go on to have a great top level career or could be grinding out a living in the lower leagues in two or three years time. The next year or two is crucial for him, he needs to get the head down and stay off social media and the burgers.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 5:31pm
Obafemi fanboys are awfully quiet 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 7:42pm
With Walcott on loan at the Saints now, Michael's playing time went down even more. Maybe he'll get a Championship loan. 
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

With Walcott on loan at the Saints now, Michael's playing time went down even more. Maybe he'll get a Championship loan. 

But not Long and Smallbone? Why have you singled out Obafemi as the guy to have a pop at?

Walcott's knocking on 32 and has been playing senior football since aged 16. Like other players who broke through early, ie Owen and Rooney, his decline started in his late twenties. He's a busted flush. I wouldn't be too worried  about my long-term prospects if I was Obafemi.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 8:11pm
Adams and Ings look good together so will be tough to break that up until one picks up a knock or gets a bit leggy.

Off topic but disappointed Smallbone has lost his place and really hope to see him in Italy next week.
A centre three of himself right, Knight left and Coventry in behind is enticing (I know dropping Ronan who I'm a big fan of).

Obafemi to play centrally with Afolabi left and Elbouzedi right is the front 6 for me.

aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 8:28pm
Adam's is poor In my opinion, had few games where he scored 3 or 4 goals at end of last season but dont see the fuss about him. 

Edited by aviva8 - 05 Oct 2020 at 8:29pm
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

But not Long and Smallbone? Why have you singled out Obafemi as the guy to have a pop at?

Walcott's knocking on 32 and has been playing senior football since aged 16. Like other players who broke through early, ie Owen and Rooney, his decline started in his late twenties. He's a busted flush. I wouldn't be too worried  about my long-term prospects if I was Obafemi.

Seems like Long is ahead of Michael in the pecking order. But I doubt many of them get time. For Michael I think he needs to develop himself and should be playing. Long is probably content to finish his career on the bench / as a sub. 
DalyerRegular View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DalyerRegular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 6:45pm
Good to see he has joined up with the 21s squad, first day of training today
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5758596061 125>
  Share Topic