Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Michael Obafemi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 125>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 11:11am
Kenny has instructed him to spend two weeks training with Pre Madonna before he will be called up again.  Grammatical and spelling training.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Sponsored Links

giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

I haven't been overly impressed with Obafemi and I am the biggest culprit of putting on the green tinted glasses. Maybe Kenny simply doesn't rate him and was being polite by saying it is the system he doesn't fit in to?

A lot seem to be calling for his inclusion simply because of his speed. If that is the case, we may as well call up Jason Smyth!
I think Obafemi looks pretty good and I would have had him in the squad, but reading between the lines I agree that Kenny doesn't seem to be overly impressed with him. He was behind Idah/Parrott and maybe even Aidan Keena for the u21s and  behind Elbouzedi for a place on the wing.
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 11:20am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Yeah, not sure why he wouldnt have called him as he was always going to be there or thereabouts. He is a senior international after all. 

His one cap was nearly two years ago now.  Not sure when he was last in an Ireland squad.  He was with the under 21's last time out, with Kenny as manager, which people seem to have forgotten.  Would have been around about the time his club manager was questioning his attitude and professionalism.  Maybe Kenny saw something as well around that time that didn't sit well with him?  I doubt the tweets sent out yesterday would have changed his opinion.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 11:20am
for me Kenny has made a bags of this one he picked up the phone to a few other lads he should have done the same to obafemi it would have looked a lot better for him.

Fair enough he feels he has to learn a position but then he goes and calls up Idah and Parrot whom both are surely at the very least at the same point in their learning curve as obafemi.

Obafemi is a premiership player and has plenty more played Than the other 2.

His response publicLy was stupid but I’d be pissed off if I was him also.

Let’s hope it’s a storm in a tea cup but one than could have been avoided all the same.

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

for me Kenny has made a bags of this one he picked up the phone to a few other lads he should have done the same to obafemi it would have looked a lot better for him.

Fair enough he feels he has to learn a position but then he goes and calls up Idah and Parrot whom both are surely at the very least at the same point in their learning curve as obafemi.

Let’s hope it’s a storm in a tea cup but one than could have been avoided all the same.

Not sure if you have seen obafemi live in the flesh.   But he is not the most tactically aware footballer.   He has huge amount of pace and is strong.  Nut on the ball he is weak enough which means in a 3 it's hard to find a position for him.   

Idah and Parrott are different types of footballers than obafemi.
AKA pedantic kunt
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 11:49am
Obafemi wants to play for ireland and is annoyed he's not been included in the squad... his response is a little immature but this is a nothing story
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Kenny explained this. The players he rang are ones that were involved under Mick. Obafemi wasn't, so he didn't. This notion that a player with one cap is due a personal explanation from a new manager as to why he hasn't selected him, is ridiculous.
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 12:00pm
If he's called up and turns up for the 21's all is good...........if he pulls out for whatever reason then this turns into an ongoing issue

Edited by gazurtoids - 25 Aug 2020 at 12:03pm
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 12:12pm

I haven't been overly impressed with Obafemi and I am the biggest culprit of putting on the green tinted glasses. Maybe Kenny simply doesn't rate him and was being polite by saying it is the system he doesn't fit in to?

A lot seem to be calling for his inclusion simply because of his speed. If that is the case, we may as well call up Jason Smyth!

He gets decent game time (for a 20 year old Irish striker) in a good Southampton squad and has scored goals against some top level opposition.

He would be right in wondering what Troy Parrott and Adam Idah, both of whom have barely kicked a ball in the premier league, are doing in the squad ahead of him.

He gave the tactical reason for Idah but not for Parrott, who definitely cannot be trusted as a lone striker or out wide - certainly not to the same extent as Obafemi. His inclusion must be truly baffling, from Obafemis point of view.

I dont think his twitter outburst was good, obviously, but clearly Kenny should have called him - especially considering he called up Parrott and Idah. 

Hopefully Obafemi gets the head down and performs, and hopefully Kenny has better tact in future.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Or Usain Bolt if it's simply about speed.  Someone remind us please, how did his attempts at becoming a professional footballer go...? LOLLOLLOL

Confused
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 12:33pm
I think lads on here really enjoy blowing things out of proportion 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

He gave the tactical reason for Idah but not for Parrott

Kenny gave the exact tactical reasoning behind the Parrott selection.
He said he's only in because McG is out (for the first game anyway) and Parrott offers what McG offers with hold-up play etc.
Obafemi doesn't.
We have to trust that Kenny knows more about what Parrot can offer than we do.
gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 2:29pm
Obafemi is Kenny's A.Reid, Ireland and Hoolahan now reading some comments. His attitude has been questioned by Hasenhuttl. Kenny said a few weeks ago that Obafemi wouldn't be picked. Kenny said he has no experience playing the posiiton Kenny would put him in.
Danger here, OH NO
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

I think lads on here really enjoy blowing things out of proportion 
Worst case scenario all the time with some LOL 
Man left out of squad is now changing countries, all that from a one word tweet. Anyway, like was said already, good to see he's upset about not being in it. Be a lot worse if he didnt give a toss
Some people just deserve a slap
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

Obafemi is Kenny's A.Reid, Ireland and Hoolahan now reading some comments. His attitude has been questioned by Hasenhuttl. Kenny said a few weeks ago that Obafemi wouldn't be picked. Kenny said he has no experience playing the posiiton Kenny would put him in.

I love how this whole "his attitude was questioned by Hassenhuttl" gets trotted out ad infinitum now based off one comment. Hassenhuttl, in a fairly throwaway manner, said that Obafemi needed to look after his injury rehab more carefully. Off the back of this fairly innocuous comment, the defining characteristic of Obafemi according to many on this forum is that he is unprofessional, unfit, etc. The reality is that Obafemi suffers from hamstring issues, which is probably the most common issue faced by young, short, explosively quick footballers. I don't think the fact that he has this issue is reason enough to draw sweeping conclusions regarding his professionalism.
We're decent enough..
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 3:46pm
Loads of times footballers have made typos while spelling on social media and it's never made it into the papers when they are being quoted, the spelling is always corrected.

I found it very curious why they kept in his spelling for "intresting".

Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 10:06pm
well hes in the under 21 squad 

Can we act positive again or will we wait til hes actually in the camp and not read 'out of the squad nursing an injury and getting treated at his club' LOL

Edited by Healy52003 - 26 Aug 2020 at 10:09pm
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 9:22am
I wonder these days when lads are 14 and left off their school team are they tweeting cryptic tweets so to be like their heroes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 125>
  Share Topic