You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

English Premier League 17-18

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 29>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 2:04pm
Just reeks of desperation to milk that cow as much as possible before the bubble bursts, next up for sale will be 7:45 Sunday's in a few years time I predict.

Edited by coyne - 17 Nov 2017 at 2:04pm
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Just reeks of desperation to milk that cow as much as possible before the bubble bursts, next up for sale will be 7:45 Sunday's in a few years time I predict.

LOLLOL

By God its been bursting this 10 years now

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

LOLLOL

Confused
So you telling me the Premier League won't suffer when Sky go bust. It's not a 'if' it's a when. 

Edited by coyne - 17 Nov 2017 at 2:15pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 2:16pm

Its like a comfort blanket to people bitter about the Premier League.

I've no idea if it will go bust, all I know is I've been hearing that same spiel for the last 10 years (ironically mostly from people who watch a lot of the league) and its very very boring at this stage
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 2:17pm
Last 10 years? The f**k you been smoking today man LOL

The news about Sky being running in the red only came out in the summer!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 2:22pm
So people have only been saying that the Premier League/bubble is going to burst for the last 3 and a half months on here?

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 2:24pm
I don't know and I don't really care because it wasn't factually correct up until the summer!

What'll happen is Sky will pull out entirely and some big digital platform like Amazon will take the rights at a much cut price deal which would of effectively 'burst the bubble' hence why the EPL are now selling rights at stupid timeslots to make up the deficit
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 2:36pm

I don't know and I don't really care because it wasn't factually correct up until the summer!

What'll happen is Sky will pull out entirely and some big digital platform like Amazon will take the rights at a much cut price deal which would of effectively 'burst the bubble' hence why the EPL are now selling rights at stupid timeslots to make up the deficit

Whats your timeframe for this happening Coyne?

Supply and demand will determine the price of the rights. Amazon or anybody else wont get them at a cut price deal. This will never happen.

I agree that the cost of the TV rights will not grow at the rates we have seen recently but I don't see a reduction either. The growth will be smaller and maybe Sky will cut back on the number of packages they buy but I dont see them pulling out entirely.

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 2:56pm
Sky have upped their prices this week. Might take this as an opportunity to cancel my contract. They have to be suffering. Without having any actual evidence, I've read plenty of articles over the past year to say Sky's subscriptions are declining and BT are really struggling.

I'd like to know the percentages of the EPL TV money breakdowns for UK&IRL (Sky/BT) against the ROW. I cannot see Sky or BT paying as much for the next TV deal. Maybe the overseas TV deals will be big enough to keep the EPL finances as healthy as they currently are.

In 10 years time, I'd be amazed if Sky and BT will still be showing EPL. I can only see the EPL either setting up their own TV network (something similar to Netflix) and selling subscriptions directly themselves or as partnership with a Netflix or Amazon. The current set up is way too expensive for customers and that is why piracy is rampant. If a quality legitimate product is offered at a reasonable price, people will pay for it. I heard on Newstalk last week that music piracy has declined massively since Spotify  and other music streaming services have been launched.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Whats your timeframe for this happening Coyne?

Supply and demand will determine the price of the rights. Amazon or anybody else wont get them at a cut price deal. This will never happen.

I agree that the cost of the TV rights will not grow at the rates we have seen recently but I don't see a reduction either. The growth will be smaller and maybe Sky will cut back on the number of packages they buy but I dont see them pulling out entirely.

I know Amazon really want a slice of that Premier League package, just signed a deal with Man City to get their cameras in the dressing rooms etc. 

In regards to timeframe, the next auctions in 2019? Sky are enjoying a big boost in NowTV sales so you'd think the logical thing to do is go big on the prime time TV packages and keep selling those Now TV weekend passes and just concede to BT/Amazon on the other packages.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:03pm

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

LOLLOL

Confused
So you telling me the Premier League won't suffer when Sky go bust. It's not a 'if' it's a when. 

So if Sky are going to go bust, then why are 21st Century Fox desperate to buy the 61% of Sky which they don't yet own, rather than sell the 39% which they do own?

That's the 21st Century Fox which is the third largest media conglomerate in the USA, and controlled by Rupert Murdoch. He being the same Rupert Murdoch who set up Sky in the first place, before he moved into the "Big League" (USA).

I mean, what would he know about such things?

P.S. Sky are huge, Fox even more so, yet both pale into insignificance when compared to, say Amazon. You know, the same Amazon who are now moving into Sports Broadcasting:
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/nov/15/amazon-us-open-tennis-deal-premier-league-uk-bt-sky

EDIT: Just noticed your above post, which if you think about it, actually contradicts your gloomy prediction for Sky i.e. PL football is the place to be for media companies, and Sky are already right in there.

Edited by Territorial - 17 Nov 2017 at 3:07pm
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:10pm
Fox won't be buying Sky because of regulations, its dragged on for a year now and the next review isn't even til next year!

And it's even further hampered by the fact Disney want to buy shares in Fox who wont be affected by the regulations so if the shareholders do infact decide to sell to Disney, the whole plan is dead.

Edited by coyne - 17 Nov 2017 at 3:11pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:21pm
Sky going bust would be merely an inconvenience. I would assume the EPL, as well as the clubs themselves, are using some of the mad money they are getting to find ways to adapt to the new ways people are finding to watch television and in particular sport. There are still markets that are nowhere near peak saturation for the EPL and won't be for a while as telecommunications develops in the developing world.

There are problems for the EPL, I think the biggest one is the change in away fans in the top two divisions which will change one of the biggest draws for 'English' football over its competitors, as well as the lack of younger fans going to the game, but again I see this as more a minor hindrance than something that will have a serious long-term affect. The only thing that will really affect the EPL is the eventual introduction of the European super league.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:21pm

Fox won't be buying Sky because of regulations, its dragged on for a year now and the next review isn't even til next year!

And it's even further hampered by the fact Disney want to buy shares in Fox who wont be affected by the regulations so if the shareholders do infact decide to sell to Disney, the whole plan is dead.
Whether they're permitted to or not is missing the point.

Which is that Fox obviously think Sky are a worthwhile business, with long-term prospects.

And whilst I cannot claim to understand these things, I'd rather trust Uncle Rupert's judgement on such matters than yours (no offence btw).

Meanwhile, Disney are interested in Fox because of their assets, one of the chief of which is Fox's 39% stake in Sky. And as has been widely reported, Disney would want to keep hold of Fox's 39% stake in Sky after any successful deal with Murdoch eg:
https://www.ft.com/content/03f7c04a-c32a-11e7-b2bb-322b2cb39656
Which is another vote of confidence in Sky.

Edited by Territorial - 17 Nov 2017 at 3:30pm
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Whether they're permitted to or not is missing the point.

Which is that Fox obviously think Sky are a worthwhile business, with long-term prospects.

And whilst I cannot claim to understand these things, I'd rather trust Uncle Rupert's judgement on such matters than yours (no offence btw).

I get what you’re saying so im not taking offence but whos to say Fox are interested in the football packages when its clear they’re not making any money from it. The only thing their football packages have got going for them is the big sales in NowTV packages but does it mean they’re making any money from it? We don’t know but at £6 a pass that’s alot of passes they have to sell to make it sustainable
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Sky going bust would be merely an inconvenience. I would assume the EPL, as well as the clubs themselves, are using some of the mad money they are getting to find ways to adapt to the new ways people are finding to watch television and in particular sport. There are still markets that are nowhere near peak saturation for the EPL and won't be for a while as telecommunications develops in the developing world.

There are problems for the EPL, I think the biggest one is the change in away fans in the top two divisions which will change one of the biggest draws for 'English' football over its competitors, as well as the lack of younger fans going to the game, but again I see this as more a minor hindrance than something that will have a serious long-term affect.
Yep, English football has the "product", the only question is which platforms it gets sold on, and for how much.

The only thing that will really affect the EPL is the eventual introduction of the European super league.
True, but I personally don't see that coming any time soon*, primarily because there are too many bodies opposed to it, not least UEFA, who are already ramping up their own rival (Champions League) to ward off the threat of a Superleague.

And in any case, if there were, say, a 20 team Superleague, it would be made up of the wealthiest clubs, not the "best". And that means maybe half would be English, with the rest of the current PL in any "Superleague 2" which was introduced a level below.

* - "Sky going bust" and the "Advent of a European Superleague" are two of those hoary old predictions which people have been making for years now, with no more likelihood of fruition than ever. A bit like Celtic and Rangers playing in England. Or the creation of a single Irish football team... LOL

Edited by Territorial - 17 Nov 2017 at 3:43pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:44pm

There are problems for the EPL, I think the biggest one is the change in away fans in the top two divisions which will change one of the biggest draws for 'English' football over its competitors, as well as the lack of younger fans going to the game, but again I see this as more a minor hindrance than something that will have a serious long-term affect.
Yep, English football has the "product", the only question is which platforms it gets sold on, and for how much.

The only thing that will really affect the EPL is the eventual introduction of the European super league.
True, but I personally don't see that coming any time soon*, primarily because there are too many bodies opposed to it, not least UEFA, who are already ramping up their own rival (Champions League) to ward off the threat of a Superleague.

And in any case, if there were, say, a 20 team Superleague, it would be made up of the wealthiest clubs, not the "best". And that means maybe half would be English, with the rest of the current PL in any "Superleague 2" which was introduced a level below.

* - "Sky going bust" and the "Advent of a European Superleague" are two of those hoary old predictions which people have been making for years now, with no more likelihood of fruition than ever. A bit like Celtic and Rangers playing in England. Or the creation of a single Irish football team... LOL

LOL Very true.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:46pm

P.S. "Sky going bust" and the "Coming of a European Superleague" are two of those hoary old predictions which people have been making for years now, with no more likelihood of fruition than ever. A bit like Celtic and Rangers playing in England. Or the creation of a single Irish football team... LOL
I can't see a European super league anytime soon either. However, all it would take is slight changes in circumstances and some of the bigger clubs to get irked at the CL for things to change.
Sky may will go bust, like any media company that might struggle with huge changes in the industry, but it is unlikely in the short-term and would merely be an inconvenience for the Premier League.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 29>
  Share Topic