Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why are England NOT the best

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 25>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 12:18pm
Don't forget the black in there as well. We all know why they have a dislike for him 

Edited by Denis Irwin - 20 Jun 2018 at 12:47pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 12:38pm
Since 1966, England have won 5 games after the First Group stage of a World Cup.

By contrast ;

Germany 27
Brasil 24
Italy 17
Argentina 16
Netherlands 13
France 12
Spain 7

PS Their Euros record is worse - one game (Spain on penos at home in 96 when Spain were robbed).

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 1:08pm
I remember Salinas, I think, had a perfectly good goal chalked off for offside.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 1:19pm

Yeah two dubious offside goals chalked off, one was blatantly on.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 5:58pm
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/sport/soccer/world-cup-2018/bbc-viewers-complain-over-danny-murphys-biased-commentary-during-englands-record-61-win-over-panama-37045738.html

Wtf?! Confused

Some viewers were complaining that Danny Murphy (who is English) referred to his own national team as 'we' and how 'biased he is towards his own country. LOL 

Lassanin Blanc must've been sending these complaints in. 

Edited by irishmufc - 30 Jun 2018 at 5:59pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 10:53am
Whatever about him being biased, I wouldn't have any issue with that, I would say have a problem with him being brutal. When he first came on the scene I thought he was going to be good. He had a bit of passion and was quite honest in talking about how a professional player thinks. The BBC weren't long knocking that out of him and now the blatantly obvious is delivered in a monotonous voice.
Unless the 'colour commentator' adds something then there really is no point and, like the large numbers of pundits and experts in the studio, they have completely over-egged the pudding with two and three of them on at a time and offering absolutely nothing.
I also think this is the reason modern commentators are so bad in comparison with their predecessors, they feel 'bantz' is more relevant than using language to describe the game and there is far too little information being given about the players as that is what the former professional is supposed to provide and very rarely does.
For example, I believe Murphy said during Spain's opening game with Portugal that he hadn't seen Isco play much but 'he looks a player'. He is getting well paid for that type of insight.

Edited by pre Madonna - 01 Jul 2018 at 10:53am
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 9:57am
England played well in parts last night but overall Spain looked the better team.

3 defeats in row now.
They may get relegated to the B league which is probably more their level.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

England played well in parts last night but overall Spain looked the better team.

3 defeats in row now.
They may get relegated to the B league which is probably more their level.

It’s an interesting stat. Considering the major boost in the game in England and the post WC euphoria, England have actually lost more games than they have won since the Tunisia game, and they have lost all their games against Top nations, while drawing with Colombia who would be a good “tier 2” team.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 12:01pm
Southgate will be gone by Christmas
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Confused
Probably has the safest job in the country atm. I'd say Santa Claus has more chance of getting sacked at Xmas.

If you forget about results, look at the infrastructure from underage level and the Wembley atmosphere people buzzing to goto the game, money doesn't buy that.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Confused
Probably has the safest job in the country atm. I'd say Santa Claus has more chance of getting sacked at Xmas.

If you forget about results, look at the infrastructure from underage level and the Wembley atmosphere people buzzing to goto the game, money doesn't buy that.

I still think he will be gone. They actually weren't that impressive in the world cup and had an easy draw. The feel good factor will be gone after 3 defeats in the NL
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 12:16pm
England's problem is between the 2 world cups the highest ranked opposition they faced competitively was Scotland, that's 4 whole years of the likes of Lithuania and San Marino.

3 losses in a row isn't a bad thing, its experience gained playing against world class sides at International level, something they've not had since they got destroyed by Italy and Uruguay in Brazil, I see England benefiting from the Nations League aslong they keep putting in decent performances like last night

Edited by coyne - 09 Sep 2018 at 12:17pm
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 12:50pm
Spain were better last night but no way was that a foul on De Gea at the end. Should have been a draw. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 1:14pm
That chance that Rashford hit striaght at De Gea proves that he'll never be a natural finisher. Does anyone think a young (or even older) Robbie Keane would have missed that chance? Not a hope. It was a terrible attempt he could've placed either side of De Gea. 

I like Rashford but when he loses his pace, he's nothing more than a decent striker imo. Martial has more strings to his bow irrespective of his poor form under Mourinho. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Spain were better last night but no way was that a foul on De Gea at the end. Should have been a draw. 

Goal should've stood but England did not deserve a draw on the balance of play imo. 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

It was a foul! Welbeck collides with De Gea’s legs while he was in mid air.
The Tribesman View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Tribesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 3:56pm
Why are England not the best?

They have a huge playing pool and vast resources especially financial.
It's also inconceivable to imagine that Association Football could ever be displaced as the national game, TBH it's nearest competition is cricket (probably as it could be worldwide also!) even winning 2003 RWC  would never put Rugby Union  in a space where they could do that!
In terms of playing population perhaps only Germany is ahead of them in Europe and perhaps (I haven't checked) only The USA is ahead of them in the world otherwise. And if The USA, which is not a soccer power has more players than anywhere else, well then it shows up that huge player pools are not the be all and end all!
Re Resources, I heard The English FA are able to give about £12 Million per year to their ladies' team!

So why are they shyte -

1 Intense 'we have nothing to learn' arrogance as Ramsey once famously said after The Germans knocked them out of The Euros!
2 The weather leads to their and our traditional kick and rush game.
3 Traditionally and this is up to the 90s, if you had another talent, you were probably better off concentrating on that as you would have made a lot more money. That's of course no longer the case and very few potential superstars will be missed!
4 A massive drinking culture in the game in the past.
5 a deep rooted suspicion of technically gifted players the likes of Hoddle and Waddle.
6 'Them Bloody Foreigners' Embarrassed - The Premiership paying the highest wages attracts huge amounts of foireign talent displacing local ladeens!
7 North-South divide it's even more clear than the Jackeen -Culchie divide in Eiré.
8 Having some of their more talented young ladz stolen from them - Lawrenson, Townsend, which is continuing to this day - Ampadu!Big smile
8 Massive resources can have a downside also - there was something about the culture of decadence that has grown up even among scouts, they would prefer to travel to a 2nd Division game all expenses paid to watch The Swedish Talent than go to a non league game up North!
9 The Club taking preference over the country.
10 Being Tarnished with links to Hooliganism and racism.
11 It's also an industry that attracts a lot of chancers and I don't mean footballers!
12 Kids today prefer to play soccer on the Playstation etc!
13 It's so tough to make it to the top, what was that stat something like of the 1.5 Million under 18s who play organized football at any given time only about 180 will make it to playing 1 game in The Premiership! Please correct me on that! Most of those kids would have a better chance of living to 110!
14 The English aren't the greatest organizers in the world.

Edited by The Tribesman - 09 Sep 2018 at 4:03pm
The Tribesman View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Tribesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 4:09pm
Also as it's a predominantly played by working class people, if you geyt a major injury as happened to the brother of an Irish Star, there won't be the medical and other resources around to patch you up better than you were before, The NHS is no Mt Sinai!
Actually, wasn't there a story that after severely injuring his foot as a young lad from kicking a ball which had landed in a broken bottle in a park that Stevie G was facing into the possibility of amputation!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 25>
  Share Topic