Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sky Sports to go bust?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 6:25am
And the final chapter could have been written by PM himself

We’re in charge.You and me. The punters. Not the Premier League, not Sky, BT, Netflix, Amazon or any other multi-billion dollar business. Without us, they have nothing. Without us, there is not even a game to show. We should never forget that. The greatest trick pulled off by big corporations is to make us feel powerless in the shadow of huge money and marketing. We’re encouraged to shut up, sit back, open up and swallow what they’re feeding us.

But the big dirty secret that they do not want us to fully appreciate, understand or embrace is that we don’t just have the power in this relationship. We ARE the power.

Basically go IPTV 

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 19 Feb 2019 at 6:31am

Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

And the final chapter could have been written by PM himself

We’re in charge.You and me. The punters. Not the Premier League, not Sky, BT, Netflix, Amazon or any other multi-billion dollar business. Without us, they have nothing. Without us, there is not even a game to show. We should never forget that. The greatest trick pulled off by big corporations is to make us feel powerless in the shadow of huge money and marketing. We’re encouraged to shut up, sit back, open up and swallow what they’re feeding us.

But the big dirty secret that they do not want us to fully appreciate, understand or embrace is that we don’t just have the power in this relationship. We ARE the power.

Basically go IPTV 

It is well written, so I’ll take it as a compliment, but why could I have written it? 
There’s nothing actually wrong with what he said, but domestic television revenue is only half the battle. There is no point boycotting television without boycotting the actual games. Damage the atmosphere, which has happened anyway, and you damage the product abroad. Home fans tickets will often be taken by tourists and day trippers, it is away fans that are key.
It might even be too late with that, as it is deeply ingrained in a lot of the world already.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 12:28pm
Just finished the third part of yer man's polemic on The Future of the Premier League etc.

And I have to say, there is so much wrong with it that I genuinely don't know where to start.

And even if I did, I'm not sure even I have the energy to give it the good kicking it deserves (that's if I had the time, which I don't, at least presently)

I mean, when someone starts quoting John Lennon lyrics to reinforce his case - "Imagine there's no satellite TV" - then you know he's hit rock bottom... LOL 

Ah well, I might get back to it sometime, after I've stopped going "Sheeesh"

P.S. It's a very long sheesh Wink
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Just finished the third part of yer man's polemic on The Future of the Premier League etc.

And I have to say, there is so much wrong with it that I genuinely don't know where to start.

And even if I did, I'm not sure even I have the energy to give it the good kicking it deserves (that's if I had the time, which I don't, at least presently)

I mean, when someone starts quoting John Lennon lyrics to reinforce his case - "Imagine there's no satellite TV" - then you know he's hit rock bottom... LOL 

That's not a John Lennon lyric, certainly not from any song I am aware of, but I was never the biggest fan so I am open to correction. I don't think satellite t.v had really taken off by the time of his death, though he was seen by many as ahead of the curve. Maybe they were right.

P.S. The thought of a Nordie going 'sheesh' has given me a headache.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

That's not a John Lennon lyric, certainly not from any song I am aware of, but I was never the biggest fan so I am open to correction. I don't think satellite t.v had really taken off by the time of his death, though he was seen by many as ahead of the curve. Maybe they were right.
The  writer quoted Lennon's "You may think I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one" and the whole tone of his piece suggested that some sort of fan boycott would lead to the end of football on (above us only) SKY.
So I was merely extending the writer's theme with my own parody, rather than suggesting JL predicted the advent of satellite TV.
Which I'm sure you knew - unless you genuinely did take me literally, in which case that's another sheesh. LOL

Hmmm. 

For someone who so frequently rails against stereotypes and generalisations elsewhere, especially when used to denigrate an entire group/race/religion/minority etc, you're inordinately fond of having a pop at "Nordies", as if we're all exactly the same. 

In which sense you're not so different from the more rabid posters on here who, when they see I'm from NI, automatically think Hun/Orange/Prod/Bigot etc.

Maybe you Mexicans are all the same, too? Wink

P.S. No need to roll out the old "touchy Nordie" meme, either, since I am not bothered by it, merely amused. That's if we Nordies are allowed a sense of humour in your world... 

Edited by Territorial - 19 Feb 2019 at 1:12pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 1:12pm

The  writer quoted Lennon's "You may think I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one" and the whole tone of his piece suggested that some sort of fan boycott would lead to the end of football on (above us only) SKY.
So I was merely extending the writer's theme with my own parody, rather than suggesting JL predicted the advent of satellite TV.
Which I'm sure you knew - unless you genuinely did take me literally, in which case that's another sheesh. LOL

Hmmm. 

For someone who so frequently rails against stereotypes and generalisations elsewhere, especially when used to denigrate an entire group/race/religion/minority etc, you're inordinately fond of having a pop at "Nordies", as if we're all exactly the same. 

In which sense you're not so different from the more rabid posters on here who, when they see I'm from NI, automatically think Hun/Orange/Prod/Bigot etc.

Maybe you Mexicans are all the same, too? 

P.S. No need to roll out the old "touchy Nordie" meme, either, since I am not bothered by it, merely amused. That's if we Nordies are allowed a sense of humour in your world... 
Well the way it was written implied you were taking him literally, which is why I poked a little fun.

As for the last part! Well, to literally quote yourself:"sheesh".

You took my jibe that all accents north of Cavan are sharp and harsh as  equating to religious or cultural background. The fact that is your immediate thought, well, I'll leave you fill in the blanks...

You are of course allowed a sense of humour,hopefully one day you will be able to express it. (For clarity; that is you the individual, not any social, ethnic, religious or geographical grouping you may consider yourself  belonging to)

Edited by pre Madonna - 19 Feb 2019 at 1:13pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 1:22pm
Sheeesh kebab for lunch?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Sheeesh kebab for lunch?
LOL

Don't you say it! You probably have an accent I find harsh, which makes me racist. Actually, I like the accent on women, Terri;  does that make me sexist too?

Edited by pre Madonna - 19 Feb 2019 at 1:24pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 1:33pm
Maybe Terri is a lady. Maybe you'd find Terri sexy.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Maybe Terri is a lady. Maybe you'd find Terri sexy.

LOL 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 1:44pm

Well the way it was written implied you were taking him literally, which is why I poked a little fun.
The only way you could have failed to see my point would be if you were a bit thick. Which you aren't.

But neither could you let it pass, so you pretended that the only reasonable inference was that I was being literal, which I wasn't

Which is somewhat below your usual standard, so I'll have to give it a "2/10 - Must try harder" 

You took my jibe that all accents north of Cavan are sharp and harsh as  equating to religious or cultural background.
No, this wasn't anything to do with my accent, imagined or real. Rather it was yet another example of your casual use of the term "Nordie", to characterise an entire group of people.

The fact that is your immediate thought, well, I'll leave you fill in the blanks...
It came to mind because you use the term frequently. I generally pay no heed when "the usual suspects" use it (or worse), but coming from someone who professes to be so liberal when it comes to other stereotypical terms, it does stand out.

But heyho, maybe I should be more generous and allow you to keep one small prejudice...

You are of course allowed a sense of humour,
Wow! Really! How generous of you!

Thing is, though, I'm a Nordie, so I wouldn't know what to do with it...

...hopefully one day you will be able to express it.
"hopefully"?

Is that really you, pm?

I never thought I'd have to report you to the Grammar Police as well as the Prejudice Police! LOL

Edited by Territorial - 19 Feb 2019 at 1:45pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 1:46pm

The only way you could have failed to see my point would be if you were a bit thick. Which you aren't.

But neither could you let it pass, so you pretended that the only reasonable inference was that I was being literal, which I wasn't

Which is somewhat below your usual standard, so I'll have to give it a "2/10 - Must try harder" 

You took my jibe that all accents north of Cavan are sharp and harsh as  equating to religious or cultural background.
No, this wasn't anything to do with my accent, imagined or real. Rather it was yet another example of your casual use of the term "Nordie", to characterise an entire group of people.

The fact that is your immediate thought, well, I'll leave you fill in the blanks...
It came to mind because you use the term frequently. I generally pay no heed when "the usual suspects" use it (or worse), but coming from someone who professes to be so liberal when it comes to other stereotypical terms, it does stand out.

But heyho, maybe I should be more generous and allow you to keep one small prejudice...

You are of course allowed a sense of humour,hopefully one day you will be able to express it. (For clarity; that is you the individual, not any social, ethnic, religious or geographical grouping you may consider yourself  belonging to)
Wow! Really! How generous of you!

Thing is, though, I'm a Nordie, so I wouldn't know what to do with it...

...hopefully one day you will be able to express it.
"hopefully"?

Is that really you, pm?

I never thought I'd have to report you to the Grammar Police as well as the Prejudice Police! LOL
I used the term  to characterise an accent.  If you do not have a 'Nordie' accent i apologise. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 1:49pm

I used the term  to characterise an accent.
And all the other times you've used it?

I'm beginning to think 2/10 was a bit generous... LOL

Edited by Territorial - 19 Feb 2019 at 1:49pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 1:51pm

Do you not identify as Northern Irish, Terri? 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 1:59pm

Whether I identify as* Northern Irish is neither here nor there.

The real question is, why did you bring the "Nordie" bit into a discussion about the English Premier League and SKY TV in the first place?

I mean, had my post been made by someone from the Irish Republic/England/Egypt etc, would it have made any difference?

Oh wait, it was my accent which jarred. On a written forum. Yeah, that must be it. LOL

1/10 - Stop taking the piss and put at least some effort into it.

* - Or merely am Northern Irish

Edited by Territorial - 19 Feb 2019 at 2:00pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 2:04pm
Sorry Terri but I just keep picturing you as William Ulsterman

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 2:07pm

Whether I identify as* Northern Irish is neither here nor there.

The real question is, why did you bring the "Nordie" bit into a discussion about the English Premier League and SKY TV in the first place?

I mean, had my post been made by someone from the Irish Republic/England/Egypt etc, would it have made any difference?

Oh wait, it was my accent which jarred. On a written forum. Yeah, that must be it. LOL

1/10 - Stop taking the piss and put at least some effort into it.

* - Or merely am Northern Irish
If they were from a place where 'sheesh' would sound equally sharp or harsh, then yes, I would. The fact is though, I have only ever heard the term from people from your part of the world. So the word conjures the sound up. 
I would imagine anybody from the Irish Republic is dead, with a few exceptions. Any that would be alive are unlikely to be posting on here. Then again, you know that and are aiming to be petty.

Maybe stop being so sensitive and taking everything so serious. -2/19
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Sorry Terri but I just keep picturing you as William Ulsterman

No need to apologise, Trap, I enjoy Harry Enfield as much as the next man. Or woman. Or person of indeterminate gender.

Besides, this is how I picture you and Pre Madonna:

(I'll let you figure out which is which Wink )
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic