Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sky Sports to go bust?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 10:06pm
I've been reading for 5 years on here now about people not watching the EPL anymore and losing all interest in it, yet the same people are still on commenting on it regularly throughout the season.

If you don't watch it then fair enough, why feel the need to tell everyone you don't watch it anymore? avoid the threads and discussions on it, just like you can avoid an X factor or love island    thread if you have no interest in those

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 29 Jun 2017 at 10:06pm
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 10:09pm
It is how it impacts all football though, you can't be a football fan and ignore it! You can ignore the games and the headlines, but you can't seriously assess football and ignore the financial impact of the EPL.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 10:11pm
It just seems to me that a lot of Irish people, both on here and who I know, try to convince themselves that they've lost all interest in the EPL and pretend they don't watch it anymore, but still have their regular dose of MOTD and super Sunday every week.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 10:17pm
I don't know about that, can only speak for myself. It is just that this thread is about the finances of clubs, something I would follow more than the matches, the same as a lot of fans these days. I can only imagine a lot of people, even those who support an English club would feel the same. The people I go to games with in the lower leagues, they would love the EPL to completely blow up.
It isn't just a case of ignoring it, the only way you can do that is give up on football completely, unfortunately.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 10:30pm
Please let them go bust. They've ruined so much for the non tourist fan.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 10:42pm
You may have inadvertently hit the nail on the head there RB, I would fall in to that category anyway, tis rare enough I watch a full game, would only really do so if there was a top of the table clash, without really giving a sh*te as to the result, but would watch goals on Sunday or a highlights show like MOTD. 

If I was interested in the EPL to that degree, I would be doing the same as I did years ago, watching as many games as possible, this doesn't happen any more. I'm still half interested, people on here are football fans after all, but I couldn't really give a sh*te about the soap opera element of it, with the breaking news, the yellow bar, transfer fcuking deadline day and all the other bollix that goes with it.  I dunno if that means I shouldn't be commenting on here or whatever but I'm not overly bothered about upsetting a few children in adult's bodies by doing so either. 

The money involved is more or less meaningless to anyone who isn't the CEO of a top stockmarket company, I don't grudge any of them a penny of it, and unusually for the financial world, the bubble seems permanent. From my basic understanding of econmomics, that can't be right. 

An example of a conversation with a Liverpool fan recently about Mr Van Dijk of Southampton. By the way, not singling out Liverpool fans, it could be any club, any player at this stage. Yer man reckoned he was a good player, but not worth 60 million. I was inclined to agree, but then started thinking about the whole notion of 'worth' in the EPL.

Say they signed him for 60 million. Say he turned out average, or didn't fit or whatever. Could happen any player at any club. Say in 2 years time, after 2 years of bad/average performances, they sell him for 30 million. So they have 'lost' 30 million plus wages in that time. Who loses ?? 

The club is still worth whatever tis worth, they have other assets that determine this value, not just one player. So they aren't going to be too badly off. Maybe a financial 'loss' gets posted for that year or something, but it will have a negligible effect on the value of the club itself. The player himself- he's grand too. The fans- might be a small rise in ticket prices, but that would likely be more to do with inflation rather than paying for a manager's misjudgement of a player, if it did happen, it wouldn't be inextricably linked to the loss of value of an individual player. Likewise, the TV subscribers, still in more or less the same place. 

All paid for by Sky, so therefore, all is OK, nobody loses out. Economically, that cannot & does not make sense. In the real world,if I buy a car today for 10k, and you like it so much that you decide to buy it off me, so give me € 15k for it, you have overpaid for your misjudgement. You will have higher interest payments on a higher loan, you might not be able to bring the Mrs on holidays, you might not make all the away games, whatever, but somewhere, that has to have a tangible effect. But in football, seemingly it simply doesn't, everyone can belt away, none of it matters. 

How exactly, does that work, and at what point does it become unsustainable ? Might not be this generation, but somebody will have to find out the answer to it some day, I hope I'm around to see it because the whole thing is ludicrous. There is a limit out there somewhere, like everyone else, I have no idea where that is, but I do know it exists. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

It just seems to me that a lot of Irish people, both on here and who I know, try to convince themselves that they've lost all interest in the EPL and pretend they don't watch it anymore, but still have their regular dose of MOTD and super Sunday every week.

Whats entertaining about it aside from watching Chelsea or Liverpool play?
You know its a sad state of affairs when people genuinely watch Soccer Saturday for Paul Merson rather than the football, thats how low its gotten
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 10:57pm
City and Spurs were entertaining for the most part of the season just gone I thought, but each to their own. It was just Liverpool and Chelsea for you as you keep saying

Take any league and there'll be bad games. Someone said about Watford v West Brom on a Monday night, would Leganes v Sporting Gijon be anymore mouthwatering? Or FC Koln v Freiburg? not for me.

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 29 Jun 2017 at 10:58pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 10:57pm
I only want to see the top 6 teams play. The other games aren't worth a sh*te.  Most of the time I have the laptop out at the same time and just have the game on in the background and look up now and again or when the commentators voice raises in expectation of a chance.  Soccer saturday is more entertaining than the actual matches.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 10:58pm
And how many teams do you want to see play in Spain or Germany? The top how many sides?
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 11:02pm

City and Spurs were entertaining for the most part of the season just gone I thought, but each to their own. It was just Liverpool and Chelsea for you as you keep saying

Take any league and there'll be bad games. Someone said about Watford v West Brom on a Monday night, would Leganes v Sporting Gijon be anymore mouthwatering? Or FC Koln v Freiburg? not for me.

Does the Bundesliga or Spanish League have 3 mini leagues inside 1 league. 1 for the newly promoted sides and uninspiring clinger ons, 1 for the rich spenders and 1 for the few teams who dont fit in either category. Its an appalling league!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 11:05pm
No the bundesliga is as big a one horse race as there is in any league in Europe.

I'm sure there are at least a few mini leagues within La Liga also, as the gulf between the clingers on and the huge spenders is truly massive

As for the "appalling league", that's the one you spend most days of the week on here talking about throughout the season. Must be really awful.

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 29 Jun 2017 at 11:08pm
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 11:30pm
When was the last time I spoke about the EPL?

As said before I've spent more time talking about League 1 it's that uninteresting! And it's not bitterness either I think League 1 is a very equal playing field, even so much that Jordanian Bankers have failed to succeed in. Would you not agree if the EPL was equal it would be far more entertaining? It's not even statistically the most entertaining either - Despite all the negatives Serie A gets for being "tactical" it actually averaged the most goals per game out of the top 10 leagues in the world last season.

I suppose Spanish League was a poor example to give as it's far from equal due to how they distribute TV money but teams like Las Palmas who have insanely low budgets do play a better brand of football than most EPL teams despite the massive differences in quality.
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 11:40pm
The EPL is prob the more competitive out of the top 4-5 leagues in Europe but it's number 1 for pure sh*te football to watch as a spectator . Most of the leagues it is 1-2 teams gonna win it . EPL can be up to 4 teams in with a shout
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 1:14am
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

The EPL is prob the more competitive out of the top 4-5 leagues in Europe but it's number 1 for pure sh*te football to watch as a spectator . Most of the leagues it is 1-2 teams gonna win it . EPL can be up to 4 teams in with a shout

That dross is drummed out all the time and its nonsense, there has been more or less the same number of different league winners in all the top leagues since 1992 (When football was invented Wink)

EPL: 6
Bundesliga: 6
Ligue 1: 8
Serie A: 6
La Liga: 5

As for the 1-2 teams being able to win, same applies.. Dominance comes in spells, the like of United in the 90's/00's walking is akin to PSG doing it the last few years... before them Lyon won 7 in a row battering everyone else.. Juve are it now, before them Inter were, with AC before them.

The Premier League is'nt the most competitive league, its the most inconsistent league.

I used to follow it intensively, but I honestly cant sit though a full match most week.. the standard is awful. I tend to leave on whatever Serie A or La Liga is on, even if it is Alves v Las Palmas.. at least its more often than not, end to end entertainment.. over Stoke v West Brom hoof merchants backs to wall, playing for a 0-0.

Anyway yeah... Sky, id love to see it go tits up. Got rid of it 3 years ago. It just wasnt worth it. Id a dodgy box going until they blocked it last month, back on the Kodi streams until the encryption is cracked again.

Biggest issue with Sky for me is having to have a basic package to add the sports onto. I dont watch tele other than sports. I used to buy just a Setanta sub for €99 a year that done me grand, id happily give sky that for just the sports stations.

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 7:15am
As a fan of a club that hit the " fecking jackpot " and are now in the Premier league , I find it difficult to compare at home game v United or City or another local derby v Bury . Hey I have been to both and for all it's faults a full ground rocking before kick off is better than 4000 harden souls watching Bury ( sorry to all Bury fans out there just had to pick a club  ) that's for god dam sure .

On the other hand never have had Sky and never will even if I do lose my streams at home  .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 8:35am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

When was the last time I spoke about the EPL?

As said before I've spent more time talking about League 1 it's that uninteresting! And it's not bitterness either I think League 1 is a very equal playing field, even so much that Jordanian Bankers have failed to succeed in. Would you not agree if the EPL was equal it would be far more entertaining? It's not even statistically the most entertaining either - Despite all the negatives Serie A gets for being "tactical" it actually averaged the most goals per game out of the top 10 leagues in the world last season.

I suppose Spanish League was a poor example to give as it's far from equal due to how they distribute TV money but teams like Las Palmas who have insanely low budgets do play a better brand of football than most EPL teams despite the massive differences in quality.

2 days ago talking about Everton signing Michael Keane for £30m
You were also talking about Delle Alli in the Man United thread, and discussing Southamptons new manager as well in that thread in the past few days

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:00am

I've been reading for 5 years on here now about people not watching the EPL anymore and losing all interest in it, yet the same people are still on commenting on it regularly throughout the season.

If you don't watch it then fair enough, why feel the need to tell everyone you don't watch it anymore? avoid the threads and discussions on it, just like you can avoid an X factor or love island    thread if you have no interest in those
Agreed Clap

Way too many of them on this forum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic