You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Russia Accomodation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 9:27am
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

I'd say there will be some Irish who will drive to Russia next summer . The above trips from the 80s sounded some craic . No GPS , Mobile Phones , Emails , Forums , Joe.ie . Justs cans with the lads and the open roads

You'd nearly want to go now if you're driving from Ireland to Russia LOL

I'm not saying there will be an influx or convoy of Irish in campers but there will be a few headers who will take a month off and drive it

Anyone who does that for Russia needs their head examined

Edited by Denis Irwin - 26 Oct 2017 at 9:27am
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 10:10am
Given the distances involved flights to Russia are quite reasonable.

I just checked skyscanner and there are flights for less than 300 euro return.  Driving makes no sense at that price even with 4 in a car.  You have to factor in fuel, tolls and wear and tear etc.  

This is actually an accessible World Cup.  Even if we don't qualify it is a chance for those who want to experience a World Cup.  

It will probably be 2034 before it comes back to Europe again.    
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 10:22am
Could you imagine irish lads in a camper van plastered in eire colours rocking up in some town. The local hooligans will make a bee line for it

Edited by Trap junior - 26 Oct 2017 at 10:23am
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 10:26am
Spent a week in the city of Voronezh which is about 6 hours from Moscow,the roads there are worse than anything ive seen in rural Ireland.
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 10:29am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

I just checked skyscanner and there are flights for less than 300 euro return.  Driving makes no sense at that price even with 4 in a car.  You have to factor in fuel, tolls and wear and tear etc.  

This is actually an accessible World Cup.  Even if we don't qualify it is a chance for those who want to experience a World Cup.  

It will probably be 2034 before it
comes back to Europe again.

Depending on what happens with Qatar of course. If it's taken off them. Only viable replacement options are Germany,England or The US

Edited by Denis Irwin - 26 Oct 2017 at 10:30am
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
larraga View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larraga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 10:34am

I'd say there will be some Irish who will drive to Russia next summer . The above trips from the 80s sounded some craic . No GPS , Mobile Phones , Emails , Forums , Joe.ie . Justs cans with the lads and the open roads

Great times indeed but I wouldn't go overland to Russia, not even back in the 80's. I still remember the stink in the van, socks, beer and we used to smoke when travelling as well.
Darraghn92 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darraghn92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

It will probably be 2034 before it
comes back to Europe again.

Depending on what happens with Qatar of course. If it's taken off them. Only viable replacement options are Germany,England or The US

England could also be bidding for the 2030 WC
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 11:19am

It will probably be 2034 before it comes back to Europe again.    

Will be back in Europe once Qatar is stripped. 

*** Saw Irwins post. Short notice would have to be Europe

Edited by kearney304 - 26 Oct 2017 at 11:20am
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 11:56am
Time will tell but I'm not too concerned re a hooligan threat in Russia.  I believe Putin will want this World Cup to be a great success and to showcase Russia to the world.    I think any attempts by hooligans to attack fans would be severely dealt with and frowned upon by the authorities.  I am aware of what happened in Marseille but I don't believe that Putin was too upset over that.  

I think the terror threat is real and a concern but that is the same for Dublin or Westport.    

I'm not convinced Qatar will be stripped of the World Cup.  

As per the above they may have to give it up.  However I don't believe FIFA could risk stripping it from them.  Who knows what might come out if the Qataris had nothing to lose?  I also believe China or Australia could host it at short notice.  

2026 is nailed on for North America.  

There is a very strong case for the centenary World cup to go back to Uruguay.  This would be co-hosted with Argentina and possibly Paraguay and/or even southern Brazil.  I really hope they do get it.  

Edited by gspain - 26 Oct 2017 at 12:04pm
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 12:00pm
Link doesn't work 
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Link doesn't work 

should do now
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darraghn92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 12:15pm

Time will tell but I'm not too concerned re a hooligan threat in Russia.  I believe Putin will want this World Cup to be a great success and to showcase Russia to the world.    I think any attempts by hooligans to attack fans would be severely dealt with and frowned upon by the authorities.  I am aware of what happened in Marseille but I don't believe that Putin was too upset over that.  

I think the terror threat is real and a concern but that is the same for Dublin or Westport.    

I'm not convinced Qatar will be stripped of the World Cup.  

As per the above they may have to give it up.  However I don't believe FIFA could risk stripping it from them.  Who knows what might come out if the Qataris had nothing to lose?  I also believe China or Australia could host it at short notice.  

2026 is nailed on for North America.  

There is a very strong case for the centenary World cup to go back to Uruguay.  This would be co-hosted with Argentina and possibly Paraguay and/or even southern Brazil.  I really hope they do get it.  

Argentina and Uruguay announced a few months back they would be bidding and Paraguay were included in the bid just two or three weeks ago. They're the only confirmed bids so far

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/fifa-world-cup/story/3220545/argentina-uruguay-paraguay-announce-plan-to-make-joint-bid-for-2030-world-cup
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 12:20pm
I don't care if I'm in a wheelchair or bed bound I'll be going to South America for the 2030 WC should they be successful.

It would have the makings of one of the great World Cups.

Edited by colemanY2K - 26 Oct 2017 at 12:22pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darraghn92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 12:25pm
They have a great case for it too being the centenary of the 1930 WC in Uruguay
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 12:29pm
Sure Putin sent a load of thugs to France if rumours and BBC reports are to be believed
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
flaghunter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flaghunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 4:28pm
I see a match ticket acts as a visa during the world cup.
What is the earliest I can arrive and latest I can leave on this "fans visa"?
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by flaghunter flaghunter wrote:

I see a match ticket acts as a visa during the world cup.
What is the earliest I can arrive and latest I can leave on this "fans visa"?

You need to buy at least one official ticket.  Then you need a Fan ID.  you can then enter visa free from ten days before the tournament to ten days after it.  

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 5:15pm
Was I dreaming or did I hear that transport in Russia will be free once you have match tickets?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic