You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Russia Accomodation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 10:58am
For Moscow in 2008, I flew to Riga and drove to Moscow with a lash of United fans. Some f**king laugh. Horrendous roads. 

Edited by kearney304 - 24 Oct 2017 at 10:58am
Sponsored Links

bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 11:01am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

For Moscow in 2008, I flew to Riga and drove to Moscow with a lash of United fans. Some f**king laugh. Horrendous roads. 

Some drive that
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

Some drive that

Unbelievable 
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 12:27pm

Some drive that

Unbelievable 

Cans?
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by cliffrichard cliffrichard wrote:

No harm having it more straightforward. 

For the game in 2011, I had to post my passport to the Russian embassy in Dublin and hope that they would return it!

It was the same for Kazakhstan, except it had to go to London. It was back inside a week.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 2:26pm

Some drive that

Unbelievable 

Cans?

Haha not until I got there, I was trying to help the driver stay focused. We did it in one sitting like. Was insane. So I was up the front wired thinking we were going to die.
larraga View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larraga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 5:27pm

Some drive that

Unbelievable 

Cans?

Pussies.

The distance from Riga to Moscow is approx. 550 miles.

The previous two times that we've played in Copenhagen, we drove from Rosslare.

Approx 350 miles from Fishguard to Dover & 550miles from Calais to Copenhagen....

13 of us in a 3 seater Lite Ace.

Some Craic.
finbarrk View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finbarrk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 8:35pm
Sounds like torture larraga.
larraga View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larraga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 11:26am
Originally posted by finbarrk finbarrk wrote:

Sounds like torture larraga.

This was before the advent of Ryanair.

We all lived near Rosslare. Got over cheap, few cases of beer, great Craic. Went to all games like that including Stuttgart 88 like Jockser. 
So it wasn't torture finbarrk, it was enjoyable, we rarely won away, even to score a goal was a bonus.

Great times, wouldn't give them up.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 11:35am
So was 1 fella sober the whole way or how did ye work it? Or was he supping on as well?
larraga View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larraga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 7:57am
One guy didn't drink, all he wanted to do was ride.

On one occasion . we arrived in Hoek van Holland after an 8 hour overnight booze cruise from Harwich and there was no sign of our driver, so one of the lads who was drinking most of the night said he'd drive off and meet the designated driver at the Terminal. We were stopped at check point and police bagged him but miraculously he passed breath test. On the same sailing two brothers from North Wexford failed the test and were detained for 10 hours and fined £250.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 8:38am
Originally posted by larraga larraga wrote:

One guy didn't drink, all he wanted to do was ride.

On one occasion . we arrived in Hoek van Holland after an 8 hour overnight booze cruise from Harwich and there was no sign of our driver, so one of the lads who was drinking most of the night said he'd drive off and meet the designated driver at the Terminal. We were stopped at check point and police bagged him but miraculously he passed breath test. On the same sailing two brothers from North Wexford failed the test and were detained for 10 hours and fined £250.

Was on the Hull to Rotterdam ferry a few years ago and same story, docked at 7 am and at the bottom of the ramp off the boat was a checkpoint. No idea how we got through it as we were up with a hen party till all hours the night before.
Drove on to Kristianstad in Sweden that day, over 950km
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 8:40am
I'd say there will be some Irish who will drive to Russia next summer . The above trips from the 80s sounded some craic . No GPS , Mobile Phones , Emails , Forums , Joe.ie . Justs cans with the lads and the open roads
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 8:56am
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

I'd say there will be some Irish who will drive to Russia next summer . The above trips from the 80s sounded some craic . No GPS , Mobile Phones , Emails , Forums , Joe.ie . Justs cans with the lads and the open roads

From here? I very much doubt it. Let's just say for arguments sake we are in Moscow. Like it was roughly about 17 hours for us with Border control (which was a complete f**king nightmare) from Riga. Imagine doing that before you even get to Riga or wherever. It's a lot of driving. You would be f**ked. And it's also going to be a shared effort or 1 solo designated driver which is hard to come by. 

Edited by kearney304 - 26 Oct 2017 at 8:57am
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 9:06am

From here? I very much doubt it. Let's just say for arguments sake we are in Moscow. Like it was roughly about 17 hours for us with Border control (which was a complete f**king nightmare) from Riga. Imagine doing that before you even get to Riga or wherever. It's a lot of driving. You would be f**ked. And it's also going to be a shared effort or 1 solo designated driver which is hard to come by. 

€40 flights to Riga in June, 900km drive from there. Easy
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 9:13am

You'd nearly want to go now if you're driving from Ireland to Russia LOL
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 9:22am
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

You'd nearly want to go now if you're driving from Ireland to Russia LOL

I'm not saying there will be an influx or convoy of Irish in campers but there will be a few headers who will take a month off and drive it
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 9:25am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

€40 flights to Riga in June, 900km drive from there. Easy

I'm telling you now, I will be looking at that option. Back in 08 I wasn't driving at all. We were horsing the roads. Shades chasing us in a LADA, remember them? LOL

We had to slow down to bribe them so they would piss off. I promised I would never go back, an awful country with horrendous poverty. But this is a World Cup and sure you just don't know if we will be back. 2002 is a far bit away now like. I hear St. Petersburg is nice. But Moscow is a sh*t hole, unless they have given the place a makeover since I've been there. 

I think lads who haven't been will genuinely be shocked, it was like I was in a time machine. 

Let's get over Denmark now first. I would never jinx it by booking now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic