You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Russia Accomodation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Was I dreaming or did I hear that transport in Russia will be free once you have match tickets?

3rd class - 3 days from Kaliningrad to Sochi. At least 36 cans, 2 batch loaves and a 12 pack of Hunky Dory's..
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Sponsored Links

kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 5:36pm
We did 9 hours from Bucharest to Chisinau. What a session. I tell you, we cleaned out every shop / garage of cans for the whole trip. Bags of cans everywhere. What were the quality cans we were drinking I hear you ask. Ursula "UrSus"
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Was I dreaming or did I hear that transport in Russia will be free once you have match tickets?

3rd class - 3 days from Kaliningrad to Sochi. At least 36 cans, 2 batch loaves and a 12 pack of Hunky Dory's..

I spoke to a couple of people who used it during the Confederations Cup and it was fine.  Obviously not for Sochi to Kaliningrad but for some routes it would be ideal.  Overnight trains and savings on hotels etc.  

You will need to book your trains though.   
PhilliyK View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Granny Grabber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilliyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Time will tell but I'm not too concerned re a hooligan threat in Russia.  I believe Putin will want this World Cup to be a great success and to showcase Russia to the world.    I think any attempts by hooligans to attack fans would be severely dealt with and frowned upon by the authorities.  I am aware of what happened in Marseille but I don't believe that Putin was too upset over that.  

I think the terror threat is real and a concern but that is the same for Dublin or Westport.    

Was at a fan embassy meeting in July around the world cup. At that point Ukraine were looking likely to qualify. At that meeting were some Russian fan embassy people and I believe one is highly involved in the setup for the world cup. I asked the question how safe would visitor's to Russia be and fan safety in general. At this point the Ukrainians beside me asked can they give any guarantees to them that they would be safe while in Russia(I also asked about Polish etc), the response was they can guarantee your safety in the grounds itself. So I asked again what about in the cities and their reply again was we can guarantee your safety in the stadium.

So then further asked as like Poland / France we all love staying in a town/city close to the host city so asked how safe they would be and again was told you'll be safe in the stadium they did say it would be safer staying in host cities than off the beaten track places but to be honest, like G says I can't envisage much trouble, sure we were all warned off Polish hooligans etc and nothing happened (bar a few skirmishs between them and other fans), France we were warned of terror threats but nothing happened so for me I'd say, go, be friendly and it will be reciprocated, be a dick and it'll be reciprocated.

In short if going have a bit of cop on and common sense on how to mind/behave yourself
PhilliyK View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Granny Grabber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilliyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 6:04pm

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

I spoke to a couple of people who used it during the Confederations Cup and it was fine.  Obviously not for Sochi to Kaliningrad but for some routes it would be ideal.  Overnight trains and savings on hotels etc.  

You will need to book your trains though.   

The free trains used will be specific for fans. Not squeezed away in some carriage at the back packed in like something we've seen from India etc .

You need your fan id to avail of these and be booked in advance. They will only go between host cities as far as I know so if looking to make other trips you'll have to sort and pay for those yourself. It will require a degree of planning for what trains you get to suit your needs.

When I mentioned about Kalingrad it was like I was the only person in a room of about 30 people that knew Kalingrad is not a joined part of Russia and you have to cross through or over another country to get there so they couldn't give me any specific answers about visa's etc for there but did mention one interesting point that I need to follow up on before posting any detail.

I did have further questions I was to send to the organisers but sort of forgot to follow up on this so far but one question I was going to ask was about segregation in the trains etc.

If anyone has any other questions about them fire them up and I'll add them to my list
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 6:29pm
Are they guaranteed to be third class, as in open bunks, on the fan trains?

There's also a rumour they're dry trains and they won't allow booze at all...

If they're going to be open bunks, I would definitely be tempted to book a normal train in second class.
PhilliyK View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Granny Grabber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilliyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Are they guaranteed to be third class, as in open bunks, on the fan trains?

There's also a rumour they're dry trains and they won't allow booze at all...

If they're going to be open bunks, I would definitely be tempted to book a normal train in second class.

Haha dry trains, yes I was told that and burst out laughing, they may say they're dry trains (think most trains in Russia are) but we're an ingenious lot for getting drink wherever we want.

I will ask about the type of train. As I was led to believe these trains are specifically for football fans and general public won't be allowed on them. If that is the case then I'm also making the assumption they are like the trains recently shown on the recent BBC documentary series where Simon Reeves travelled Russia (think its called Russia). The trains on that show had carriages for what looked like 4 people with bunk beds above the seats. As the train expert SD I'm sure you'll know better what the types of trains are in Russia
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 6:43pm
There are generally three classes:

1st class has compartments with 2 beds per compartment, and locking doors

2nd class has compartments with 4 beds per compartment, and locking doors

3rd class is open plan and has bunks only, with curtains for privacy, and no locking doors

The fans trains are, I think, only for football fans, so they shouldn't be stopping at intermediate stations. They may well be direct / non-stop, bar maybe the odd stop to change crews or locomotives or whatever. However, they could also just be carriages attached to normal service trains: if that's the case, they'll stop in the same number of places.

There are a lot of questions, anyway. I'd like to know from someone who was at the confederations cup.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 7:56pm
Those who applied for tickets in phase 1 may see pending charges on their credit cards.  

Note I strongly suspect charging is only at the early stages so I wouldn't be too concerned yet if no charges. 

I have a pending charge for just under half of my application.  Obviously no idea yet what games I did/didn't get.  I know of others who applied for games that will be easy to get and no charges yet.  
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 8:01pm
Did you apply for individual games or Ireland TST tickets?

Edit: I only applied for Ireland TST3 Cat2 tickets. No pending charge yet that I can see.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 26 Oct 2017 at 8:03pm
mouldymould View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mouldymould Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 8:07pm

Those who applied for tickets in phase 1 may see pending charges on their credit cards.  

Note I strongly suspect charging is only at the early stages so I wouldn't be too concerned yet if no charges. 

I have a pending charge for just under half of my application.  Obviously no idea yet what games I did/didn't get.  I know of others who applied for games that will be easy to get and no charges yet.  

Applied in phase 1 and no charges here yet. Still another 3 weeks left anyway until the first come first served tickets.

Made a second application for CAT 4 tickets for quarters (Kazan/Sochi), semis (St. Petersburg/Moscow), and the final in Moscow to pay via bank transfer. Will be very interesting to see the results of that application.
Colum View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by mouldymould mouldymould wrote:

Made a second application for CAT 4 tickets for quarters (Kazan/Sochi), semis (St. Petersburg/Moscow), and the final in Moscow to pay via bank transfer. Will be very interesting to see the results of that application.

We're Cat 4 not just open to the locals?
mouldymould View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mouldymould Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by Colum Colum wrote:

I have an apartment there with my other half who has a Russian passport so was able to apply that way
Colum View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 9:09pm

Originally posted by Colum Colum wrote:

I have an apartment there with my other half who has a Russian passport so was able to apply that way
Ah, nice one. PM sent Good luck with the tickets

Edited by Colum - 26 Oct 2017 at 9:11pm
Hickster74 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 9:13pm
Any emails yet? Applied for Cat 1s to the final and sh*ttin meself!
finbarrk View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finbarrk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 7:04am
I had a grand apartment in Moscow city centre booked since last June with booking.com. Got 2 emails yesterday from the apartment company saying my credit card was out of date. It wasn't, bit I updated it anyway on booking.com twice . Then got another email from the apartment saying it was cancelled as my credit card was out of date. It's relisted now at 3 times the price. Can't trust the Russians.
Colum View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 7:08am
Originally posted by finbarrk finbarrk wrote:

I had a grand apartment in Moscow city centre booked since last June with booking.com. Got 2 emails yesterday from the apartment company saying my credit card was out of date. It wasn't, bit I updated it anyway on booking.com twice . Then got another email from the apartment saying it was cancelled as my credit card was out of date. It's relisted now at 3 times the price. Can't trust the Russians.
Get in touch with booking.com and see what they have to say about it.
finbarrk View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finbarrk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 7:12am
I called them last night, but when they tried to contact the apartment management it was too late at night in Moscow. Even though I had only got the email about 20 mins before that.  They are going to try again today. But I don't hold out much hope of holding on to the apartment, well for the price I had it got for anyway. I'll see how it goes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic